Wild Side Ornithology Club

Cool stamps. I get some birds here in KY I didn't in Maine. Al;though more grossbeaks in Maine. Had a rose breasted here last year, so pretty.

I found the chickadees liked blackoil sunflowers best and some suet.

That's what I forgot. But last night I got both Songbird and Wildbird food. Both had Blackoil sunflower seeds, but the Songbird had the most.black sunflower seeds. I have plenty of feeders, it's just getting out there in the cold. At least I spent a few minutes tying the bell to some branches on the spreading oak tree.

From what I've heard, Maine has some very dedicated birders. I hear a bird out right now singing "Preacher, preacher, preacher, preacher" in rapid succession. Wonder what he is?

That's what I forgot. But last night I got both Songbird and Wildbird food. Both had Blackoil sunflower seeds, but the Songbird had the most.black sunflower seeds. I have plenty of feeders, it's just getting out there in the cold. At least I spent a few minutes tying the bell to some branches on the spreading oak tree.

From what I've heard, Maine has some very dedicated birders. I hear a bird out right now singing "Preacher, preacher, preacher, preacher" in rapid succession. Wonder what he is?

I dunno, I'm about deaf. Can't even hear that beautiful English Sparrow song.

Oh yes, some birders up there. Get a chance check out Borestone Mountain, they used to release Perigrine Falcons there. My Buddy Jack Dunstan was the ranger. He is housebound now, called him last week. Poor guy, wicked birder. I had a Peregrine few weeks ago.

Pure blackoil is what chickadees love. I have a cool feeder looks like a 3 ball snowman bout 12" tall, wire mesh just big enough for sunflower seed. They love it!!!

Carolina wren?

Carolina wren?

Check this out too Becki......... same wren featured in here

So Becki, I've now got five hummingbird feeders dotted around three sides of the house and the word is out. Constant hummage, right outside the window where I sit.

The soda bottle feeder never really worked out. It was easy prey for squirrels or bears or whatever kept ripping it down. I've got a more standard column feeder, quite large, and I'll get that out soon. Not that the birdies need it, it's very lush here with the rain we've had.

So Becki, I've now got five hummingbird feeders dotted around three sides of the house and the word is out. Constant hummage, right outside the window where I sit.

The soda bottle feeder never really worked out. It was easy prey for squirrels or bears or whatever kept ripping it down. I've got a more standard column feeder, quite large, and I'll get that out soon. Not that the birdies need it, it's very lush here with the rain we've had.
Thanks, Pogo.

Here's another type of bird called a Vireo. It has several different kinds.
Red eyed vireo
1642008208213.png

Yellow-throated vireo
1642008331350.png

White-eyed Vireo
1642008542184.png

Whippoorwill
1642010838231.png
Love me some vireos. Here's the yellow one, complex call, it's in four parts like the wood thrush

Nice 2CU Becki :)

Good to see you too, Pogo. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to visit Cornell website and listen up, if they still have the birds' call in their bird identification section.

I am very concerned about the fate of birds if the electric car business and the temptation for people to put up "free" solar panels that may be able to fry migrant birds flying a mile high. I'm also concerned the heat sent up to the atmosphere will cause a reaction in the ozone that could send the heat right back and ensure that this planet fries all life here. I think it's a big mistake to convert the nation from fossil fuels to electric generation, because electric generation is not only inefficient, it totally depends on fossil fuels, and will need twice as much if we go electric cars. Little home units times millions will decimate bird species.

Enjoy the birds while they are still here, everyone. The United States Congress just passed the stupidest law ever written when they demanded that in 2 or 3 years everyone must convert to electric cars. that is a death knell to birds, if not all life on this planet, and it's damn expensive in draining off fossil fuels twice as fast. I hope we get this thread going again to those who just got here in the last few years and love birds. Welcome one and all nature and bird lovers! :huddle: Just for the love of birds, I am gong to find my favorite one, if I can find decent pictures of a Great White Egret. They used to come to my lake out back and raise their little (little?) big ones and teach them to fly before disappearing each fall. They're not here every day of the good weather, but sometimes they are if stuff is quiet around here.

To tell you the truth, after living around Great Egrets for 12 years now, there is no more beautiful and elegant bird on this planet than they.
1649185788381.png

1649185941408.png

The great egret (Ardea alba), also known by many other names like large egret, common egret, great white heron, and great white egret, is part of the egret bird species. Egrets are birds that have longer legs than their body. Great egrets are a species of North American birds that are related to many subspecies which can be found all over the world. One particular bird species known as the great blue heron is also an American bird found mostly in the Caribbean. It is a similar species but a colorful blue species of the Great Egret. Research is still taking place at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology in New York to understand whether these two are separate species or the subspecies of the great egrets.

Like every other water-bird species, the great egrets also prey on the marine fish and sometimes are seen swimming instead of wading to catch their food. Other than that, as these birds are large in size, they do not have many predators; that is why they sleep on the trees beside the freshwater habitat.

Here on our page, we have a lot of interesting facts on the Great Egret for everyone to enjoy.

1649186202249.png

How do they communicate?

Great egrets communicate with each other through the use of various vocalizations which they produce from their bill. These sounds include nasal squeals, croaking, clicking sounds, and harsh calls. Apart from the vocals, they also communicate by displaying their wings.

How big is a great egret?

The range of size of a great egret when it is standing can be around 31-39 in (80-100 cm) in length. These birds are larger than the laughing gulls of South Carolina, which are about 16 in (15.24 cm) in length.

How fast can a great egret fly?

The speed that a great egret can fly up to is around 25 mph (40 kph), which is rather fast!

More delightful secrets about egrets here:

The Great Egret family is back. It's usually not this late, but between the roofers and redigging the seasonal creek, they just don't like noise including if you are 400 meters away from the small lake and headed toward the road from the house. They do not care for any motor noise whatever, and they don't like human passers-by. They're so beautiful, though, even if I have to run and go find the binoculars.

I dunno, I'm about deaf. Can't even hear that beautiful English Sparrow song.

Oh yes, some birders up there. Get a chance check out Borestone Mountain, they used to release Perigrine Falcons there. My Buddy Jack Dunstan was the ranger. He is housebound now, called him last week. Poor guy, wicked birder. I had a Peregrine few weeks ago.

Pure blackoil is what chickadees love. I have a cool feeder looks like a 3 ball snowman bout 12" tall, wire mesh just big enough for sunflower seed. They love it!!!
I thought doctors could heal hard-of-hearingness if you weren't born that way. Sometimes, some people have ears that collect wax enough to muffle sounds. And there are aids that can help you if that hereditary aspect is not in play. Best wishes on fixing your ability to hear birds again. There's another bird that comes around my farm around the first day of spring every year, and I can't recall much about it, but it sounds like a 3-syllable word that slips my mind by fall every year. :auiqs.jpg:I don't know how I got to be a septuagenarian with keen hearing abilities, so much so I have to tune it out from time to time.

Oh, and the Great Egret visited us last night. I saw him flying when I drove up and parked my car by the house. I'll try and find the closest youtube to what I saw. BRB. They are the most graceful of all God's birds. No other bird is as totally worthy of the grace of the Great Egret, imho. Swans look clumsy next to the Great Egret who move in splendor every little moment of their lives. I've been watching them fly over my pond since 2009 when we moved here to East Texas bird heaven that our place has been and seems to be. My husband died 6 years ago, and watching the egrets is a comfort to know he can now view them from heaven above. ❤️ 🤍 💙

Youtube always follows your search and provides similar videos, I am very fond of this one, eventhough the birds are unfamiliar since they fly south from France to unknown destinations ... enough words here's the real stuff: soothing music, too. :)

Hummingbirds

Hope everyone who has posted here is well and still loves birds. Their sight and songs are so amazing around here... I pray that this drought yields us enough rain to keep the great white egret family that visits here every year a joyful place to stay.

Forum List

Back