Why We Still Need the Electoral College

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
by Douglas V. Gibbs
By Kevin Price

The United States Constitution was made by the states, for the states. It is designed to not only create a more efficient federal government, but to also protect the interest of the states. The government's Archives' website describes the Electoral College as "a compromise between election of the president by Congress and election by popular vote." Maybe, but the bigger reason is that the founders wanted each state to have a voice in elections.

Interesting read @ Political Pistachio: Why We Still Need the Electoral College
:cool:

We'll see how you feel a week from tomorrow. The growing prediction trend among the pollsters is an EC victory for Obama, and a popular vote win for Romney. Should that happen, will you respect the result?

by Douglas V. Gibbs
By Kevin Price

The United States Constitution was made by the states, for the states. It is designed to not only create a more efficient federal government, but to also protect the interest of the states. The government's Archives' website describes the Electoral College as "a compromise between election of the president by Congress and election by popular vote." Maybe, but the bigger reason is that the founders wanted each state to have a voice in elections.

Makes you wonder why Mitt would kiss off OH and MI by lying about Jeeps-to-China!!! :eusa_eh:

We'll see how you feel a week from tomorrow. The growing prediction trend among the pollsters is an EC victory for Obama, and a popular vote win for Romney. Should that happen, will you respect the result?

I think the EC is in the best interests of everybody. If it was based on popular vote, then people in rural areas would hardly be courted; once the primaries and nominations are over, presidential candidates wouldn't have much incentive to appear anywehere else but the major cities. And his (POTUS) policies could be more slanted towards urban over rural areas once in office, cuz that's where the most votes are to get re-elected. My only change to the current system is to do away with the electors and do it automatically. In some states an elector can give his vote to someone other than the candidate who won their state. It has happened in the past, albeit rarely.

I think the EC is in the best interests of everybody. If it was based on popular vote, then people in rural areas would hardly be courted; once the primaries and nominations are over, presidential candidates wouldn't have much incentive to appear anywehere else but the major cities. And his (POTUS) policies could be more slanted towards urban over rural areas once in office, cuz that's where the most votes are to get re-elected. My only change to the current system is to do away with the electors and do it automatically. In some states an elector can give his vote to someone other than the candidate who won their state. It has happened in the past, albeit rarely.

I think winner take all is unfair. The candidates should get 1 vote for each Congressional district they carried and then the extra two, if they carried the state.

I think winner take all is unfair. The candidates should get 1 vote for each Congressional district they carried and then the extra two, if they carried the state.

I agree with this, though clarifying the campaigns get to pick the electors for each congressional district won, and two for the states.

I still do like the idea of Electors. In theory, if Romney or Obama won and a story broke that they'd committed major fraud or a felony crime, the electors give you another chance to reexamine the results and make sure the nation's best interests are being followed. Rarely do electors defect, but I like the possibility being there.

Why the extra 2? What's the rationale?

Why the extra 2? What's the rationale?

That's what they get now! The total of the number of Congressional seats + Senatorial seats(the plus 2).

The Electoral college is obsolete in this day and age they should just put it to a national vote and be done with it but Congress and the Political parties themselves will never let that happen they would have to give up to much power.

by Douglas V. Gibbs
By Kevin Price

I support keeping the Electoral College system. However, your analysis of the US Constitution is amazingly childish.

The US Constitution was not 'made by the states' As a matter of fact the Constitutional Convention that met in private behind closed doors, keeping NO official record, decided that the States should not be voting on the kind of government the people would have.

The Framers sent out the proposed US Constitution to constitutional conventions in each state as an up or down vote. The conventions in each state did NOT have the authority of State government.

The 'people' ratified the US Constitution in an up or down vote.

The Electoral college is obsolete in this day and age they should just put it to a national vote and be done with it but Congress and the Political parties themselves will never let that happen they would have to give up to much power.

Our Republic has a political electoral system that uses a representative democracy model as opposed to a direct democracy model.

The Electoral College System is wonderful for a nation like ours.

It goes far beyond rural and urban. It goes to the issue of interests of each state and the citizens in them. Business and environmental issues...and more.

As long as it is an accurate vote count free of fraud! :cool:

I go for pure popular vote and no results released untill the last polling place has closed so as not to influence people who have not yet voted.

No it is not obsolete.
The Electoral college is Representative of the Republic that we are suppose to be.
It's is there so that the States who have fewer populations have a voice and can be counted.
What you are suggesting is a complete Democracy, where the majority rules over the minority.

Your way would allow these States to rule over all of the other States.
Calif.
Texas
New York
Florida
Illinois
The above States would rule over all in the U.S. without the voices of
Wyoming
Vermont
North Dakota
Alaska
Montana

Makes you wonder why Mitt would kiss off OH and MI by lying about Jeeps-to-China!!! :eusa_eh:

Perhaps he got the information from here. Jeep, an Obama favorite, looks to shift production to China | WashingtonExaminer.com

or here. So, Is Jeep Really Moving To China, Or What?

or here. Jeep, an Obama favorite, looks to shift production to China « Peace and Freedom

or here. Fiat Says Jeep Output May Return to China as Demand Rises - Bloomberg

And then, Fiat and local Jeep execs hurriedly denied the previous reports upon which the governor based his comments.

Perhaps he got the information from here. Jeep, an Obama favorite, looks to shift production to China | WashingtonExaminer.com

or here. So, Is Jeep Really Moving To China, Or What?

or here. Jeep, an Obama favorite, looks to shift production to China « Peace and Freedom

or here. Fiat Says Jeep Output May Return to China as Demand Rises - Bloomberg

And then, Fiat and local Jeep execs hurriedly denied the previous reports upon which the governor based his comments.

Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said no U.S. production of Jeep vehicles will be moved to China and U.S. production of Jeeps “will constitute the backbone of the brand,” in an e-mail to employees five days after Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney repeated a false report that suggested Jeep production could be moved to China.

Chrysler CEO: No U.S. Jeep production will go to China | Auto news | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Forum List

Back