CDZ Why the Sudden Fear of Blonde Blued Eyed Designer Babies?

Our medical tech is advancing rapidly and one of the things I have heard used to put the breaks on rolling this stuff out that could save literally millions of lives is how that tech can be abused. Even conservative doctors that are frequent guests on talk shows say that they support government regulation to prevent Designer babies.

Why?

From where does this fear that every parent will pick out perfect blonde haired Blue Eyed babies come from?

Whatever look that they want their kids to have is their choice, it seems to me, what is the harm of it?

Meanwhile we could have ZERO children born with defects or genetically prone to diseases.

Having more blond blue eyed kids running around seems like such a small price to pay, but I dont see what is wrong with that anyway.

Could someone explain this fear to me?
by manipulating the genes, we are not allowing Nature to run it's course by choosing what makes us stronger and better... the manipulation weakens the human race in the long run....

(to the point where in a thousand years from now, we'll all end up looking like the Grays....the us... of the future, and have to time travel back to abduct humans to harvest their sperm and eggs from those who had no manipulation done so the us, of the future can try to get themselves back to normal again)

:D :p
Modern medicine, sanitation, housing, and other conforms of our modern society have already circumvented nature to the extent that natural selection is not making the human race stronger. The harshness of nature is not eliminating our weak as it did just a couple of hundred years ago. People with genetic defects and weaknesses are surviving and reproducing in the present that would have never survived and reproduced in the past.

Genetic engineering may very be the solution to our end run around natural selection. Care4all may be correct that Genetic manipulation will make us weaker, but that promise seems to be based on fiction not science. If advances in the human genome through natural selection make us stronger, why would advances through purposeful genetic engineering make us weaker?
I don't know the answer to those questions, and maybe that's my precautionary fear cause...

The Earth is 25,000 miles in circumference. There's no way the increase the surface area of our planet.

Rather, we could miniaturise the human species over the course of a few generations.

So you want us all to look like Danny DeVito in the future?

I seriously doubt they will be able to do this 'perfect human Trick' for a long long time, the complexities and variables are too great, despite the appearance of such knowledge being available. But, from a logical argument perspective, isn't the ability to modify human genes and theoretically 'perfect' humans itself a form of evolution and not a 'circumvention' of evolution? I noticed some posters seem to think such things as developing sanitation and medicines are somehow 'cheating' and the like, and thought I would just throw out that it could be otherwise, or why would we do so in the first place?

I'll throw in that I think the theory of evolution as it stands now is a total crock and absurd, given the probabilities involved, not to mention the lack of any evidence worth citing for such an eons long string of 'happy accidents' happening.

Whether it's Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, the Greek story of Prometheus giving humans the secret of fire, the tree of knowledge, etc., we should not dismiss the cautionary lessons of mythology.

But what you're talking about seems inevitable. I can imagine a day when you'll be considered an abusive parent if you don't insert the approved and patented gene strain produced by corporation X.

Either some calamity sets us back to the pre-industrial age, or genetically modified humans will become the norm. This trajectory will eventually lead to a new species of humanoid, a bio machine which is superior to humans in many ways but lacking in many noble human qualities.

Homo sapiens will go the way of the Neanderthal

In the meta view, the universal view, there's no right or wrong in human replacement. I just happen to like humans. I'm biased

images

What noble qualities would those be?

*****SMILE*****

:)

God doesn't want us to become gods Jim...

There is more to being God than merely immortality and omniscience, which I was of course exaggerating.

There is also that pesky thing about creating space and time that I doubt we will ever measure up to.

he didn't even want us to have knowledge....I have no idea why and can't even imagine why...but I guess we will find out some day! :p

As I understand it, God did not want us ignorant in general, but only ignorant of the knowledge of morality, which brings with it moral responsibility and the possibility of sin. Had we never come to understand right from wrong we would have never lost our innocence and would have never become capable of sin.

I dont think God really likes sin.

Modern medicine, sanitation, housing, and other conforms of our modern society have already circumvented nature to the extent that natural selection is not making the human race stronger. The harshness of nature is not eliminating our weak as it did just a couple of hundred years ago. People with genetic defects and weaknesses are surviving and reproducing in the present that would have never survived and reproduced in the past.

Genetic engineering may very be the solution to our end run around natural selection. Care4all may be correct that Genetic manipulation will make us weaker, but that promise seems to be based on fiction not science. If advances in the human genome through natural selection make us stronger, why would advances through purposeful genetic engineering make us weaker?
Because it is far more difficult to get people to donate to a movement that is based on optimism instead of fear.

So our view of the future has become inundated with fear mongering nonsense.

But still, some very reasonable people trust these Oligarch appointed experts on futurism (example: Paul Ehrlich) and they always get their predictions wrong, but they serve a purpose in justifying fantasies of a world with very few humans left in it, almost as if the cure for a disease can be the death of the patient.

How can we fault people who trust the authorities of our society? The dont understand that the groundwork for justifying the culling of the human herd has to be laid decades prior to the culling itself.

I'll throw in that I think the theory of evolution as it stands now is a total crock and absurd, given the probabilities involved, not to mention the lack of any evidence worth citing for such an eons long string of 'happy accidents' happening.

I feel fairly confident that God used evolution to hone the speciation of our planet.

Why not?

God doesn't want us to become gods Jim...

There is more to being God than merely immortality and omniscience, which I was of course exaggerating.

There is also that pesky thing about creating space and time that I doubt we will ever measure up to.

he didn't even want us to have knowledge....I have no idea why and can't even imagine why...but I guess we will find out some day! :p

As I understand it, God did not want us ignorant in general, but only ignorant of the knowledge of morality, which brings with it moral responsibility and the possibility of sin. Had we never come to understand right from wrong we would have never lost our innocence and would have never become capable of sin.

I dont think God really likes sin.
I think this would just be the beginning of the end of God's creation....

We humans will mess this technology up some day, beware of us....we are too greedy and sinful and boastful...we WILL mess this up.

I think this would just be the beginning of the end of God's creation....

We humans will mess this technology up some day, beware of us....we are too greedy and sinful and boastful...we WILL mess this up.

Very valid concerns, but then everything worth while doing, from sea travel to chemistry and science are fraught with risks and they have blessed us because we have used them responsibly.

I'm trying to get my head around the suggestion that Asians, Blacks and Middle Easterners would want blue eyed, blond haired designer babies.

I mean, since they make up the bulk of human population like they do........

The Earth is 25,000 miles in circumference. There's no way the increase the surface area of our planet.

Rather, we could miniaturise the human species over the course of a few generations.

I have long thought that we should issue breeding licenses and limit them to those whose coefficient of IQ over weight was greater than 1.

Smaller AND smarter.

I'm trying to get my head around the suggestion that Asians, Blacks and Middle Easterners would want blue eyed, blond haired designer babies.

No one suggested any particular group would do that. Why do you have to drag race baiting into the discussion.

Do you realize that there are blond, red hedded and blue eyed people across all races? It is not just a white thing. Malcolm X, for example, was a red head.

The topic is why the fear of Designer Babies, and the phrase "blonde haried blued eyed babies" seems to be the banner of dread that most of the yahoos drag out to use as proof that this should not be allowed.

I am wondering why that is.

Our medical tech is advancing rapidly and one of the things I have heard used to put the breaks on rolling this stuff out that could save literally millions of lives is how that tech can be abused. Even conservative doctors that are frequent guests on talk shows say that they support government regulation to prevent Designer babies.

Why?

From where does this fear that every parent will pick out perfect blonde haired Blue Eyed babies come from?

Whatever look that they want their kids to have is their choice, it seems to me, what is the harm of it?

Meanwhile we could have ZERO children born with defects or genetically prone to diseases.

Having more blond blue eyed kids running around seems like such a small price to pay, but I dont see what is wrong with that anyway.

This is why Jim...

Why?

This is why Jim...

I think it will be adults choosing the specs on their Designer Baby, not other children, so I am not sure what your point is.

Are children conditioned in our media to see blacks as bad and ugly while seeing whites as good naturred and trustworthy? Sure, but that is not something that is caused by or will cause Designer Baby choices after they have become adults.

My bet is that most of them will want kids that look like the parents.

No one suggested any particular group would do that. Why do you have to drag race baiting into the discussion.

Do you realize that there are blond, red hedded and blue eyed people across all races? It is not just a white thing. Malcolm X, for example, was a red head.

The topic is why the fear of Designer Babies, and the phrase "blonde haried blued eyed babies" seems to be the banner of dread that most of the yahoos drag out to use as proof that this should not be allowed.

I am wondering why that is.

The title of the thread says quite clearly "blond haired, blue eyed designer babies" . I was merely pointing out the obvious -- that most people in the world are neither, and so are unlikely to want hose features in their baby. That isn't race-baiting, merely reality.

The title of the thread says quite clearly "blond haired, blue eyed designer babies" . I was merely pointing out the obvious -- that most people in the world are neither, and so are unlikely to want hose features in their baby.
So that would make the fear of so many who object o Designer Babies essentially delusional, no?

Forum List

Back