Why should immigrants in America learn english?

Kathianne said:
And you think that based on what?
1. A national language is not mentioned in the Constitution.
2. In my (admittedly incomplete) readings of the Federalists papers I've never encountered a Founding Father advocating English as the sole national language.
3. The surprising number of non-English speakers in the country at the time of the writing.
4. The Founder's relative restraint when granting the government power.
5. The possible free speech issues involved.
6. Lack of precedence

I admit that I am unable to quote any precedence or laws to support my position, and my knowledge of the Constitution is undoubtably meager when compared to someone who actually lectures on the subject, but this is my opinion.

1. A national language is not mentioned in the Constitution.
2. In my (admittedly incomplete) readings of the Federalists papers I've never encountered a Founding Father advocating English as the sole national language.
3. The surprising number of non-English speakers in the country at the time of the writing.
4. The Founder's relative restraint when granting the government power.
5. The possible free speech issues involved.
6. Lack of precedence

I admit that I am unable to quote any precedence or laws to support my position, and my knowledge of the Constitution is undoubtably meager when compared to someone who actually lectures on the subject, but this is my opinion.

All are good reasons, I'd give you an A. However, none of the non-English speaking were going up for citizenship, wasn't possible.

Some of the Founder's, Federalists, would have liked a more robust federal government, others, *guess* would have liked way more controls. They made their arguments well and clear enough.

I'm too tired to look up sites, but how does one find precedents for precedent setting events? :dunno:

Kathianne said:
All are good reasons, I'd give you an A.
:mm:
Kathianne said:
However, none of the non-English speaking were going up for citizenship, wasn't possible.
Are you referring to then or now?
Kathianne said:
Some of the Founder's, Federalists, would have liked a more robust federal government, others, *guess* would have liked way more controls. They made their arguments well and clear enough.
Hamilton I assume. I'll add Adams because of the Aliens and Sedition Acts. Those are the only two that come to mind at the moment. That is unless I'm misunderstanding your guess.

As to your larger point, true, but not all Founders were created equal. Some had more influence than others. I've dealt mostly with Hamilton, Adams, Washington, Madison, and Franklin, who I believe were the most influential, and I've never read anything about any of them wanting English to be the official language.
Kathianne said:
I'm too tired to look up sites, but how does one find precedents for precedent setting events?
All my teachers in middle school had those [censored] "everyone can make a difference" BS posters on their walls. One of the things listed on the poster was that apparently one of the 13 colonies' (I'm pretty sure this was before the Revolution) House of Burgesses (something along those lines) voted on whether or not to make German the official language. Apparently the measure failed by one vote, which made it perfect material for a stupid middle school poster.

I know. It's a pretty sweet system they've got going on.

They need to learn English, but we don't need to give the government the power to decide what languages you can and cannot use in the public square.

As much as people like to fantasize about thier autonomy, the reality is that there will always be someone telling us what to do. I'm all for limited government until we start crossing the line into absurdity which is EXACTLY how the ACLU operates.
Considering the fact that we will all be told what to do in some form or fashion, why don't we spend our time fighting for higher order freedoms instead what T-shirt kids can/can't wear to school. Making English the official language of America isn't going to make or break anyone but insisting that all languages be treated with the same respect will assuredly recreate the Tower of Babel.
Higher order freedoms people! Screw the small stuff. We have X amount of time on earth. How would you like to spend it?

dilloduck said:
As much as people like to fantasize about thier autonomy, the reality is that there will always be someone telling us what to do. I'm all for limited government until we start crossing the line into absurdity which is EXACTLY how the ACLU operates.
Considering the fact that we will all be told what to do in some form or fashion, why don't we spend our time fighting for higher order freedoms instead what T-shirt kids can/can't wear to school. Making English the official language of America isn't going to make or break anyone but insisting that all languages be treated with the same respect will assuredly recreate the Tower of Babel.
Higher order freedoms people! Screw the small stuff. We have X amount of time on earth. How would you like to spend it?
Possible free speech issues aside, I'd rather not even think about the government doing anything too much of anything with higher orders of freedom (speech, assembly, religion, etc.). Much better to quibble over the small stuff (like refrigerator efficiency) and keep the tyrants distracted.

:mm:

Are you referring to then or now?

Hamilton I assume. I'll add Adams because of the Aliens and Sedition Acts. Those are the only two that come to mind at the moment. That is unless I'm misunderstanding your guess.

As to your larger point, true, but not all Founders were created equal. Some had more influence than others. I've dealt mostly with Hamilton, Adams, Washington, Madison, and Franklin, who I believe were the most influential, and I've never read anything about any of them wanting English to be the official language.

All my teachers in middle school had those [censored] "everyone can make a difference" BS posters on their walls. One of the things listed on the poster was that apparently one of the 13 colonies' (I'm pretty sure this was before the Revolution) House of Burgesses (something along those lines) voted on whether or not to make German the official language. Apparently the measure failed by one vote, which made it perfect material for a stupid middle school poster.

Actually my *guess* was too something. :laugh: I was referring to the anti-federalists. In any case, there was no question that 'newcomers' were not going to be voting anytime soon. Not so much so today, except of course by choice:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003243580_immig05.html

thoughts on this qoute?

How hard is it to make the drivers test spanish or any other government form. If there is no nessisty for them to learn english then who are we to oppose that on them. what difference does it make to you, if Juan is only speaking spanish, it in no way shape or form affects your life.

I'm paying for it. So as long as I'm a "LEGAL", law abiding "citizen", who's taxes are paying for it, and after all, this IS *AMERICA*, and we speak *ENGLISH* in America, I don't want my money spent on a "foriegn language".

Quite frankly, if someone is here in America "legaly", they probably DO want to learn english, because that's part of BECOMING an American. If you're here and DON'T want to learn the language, THEN YOU REALLY DON'T HAVE ANY BUSINESS HERE. GET THE HELL OUT.

Possible free speech issues aside, I'd rather not even think about the government doing anything too much of anything with higher orders of freedom (speech, assembly, religion, etc.). Much better to quibble over the small stuff (like refrigerator efficiency) and keep the tyrants distracted.

We ARE the government silly. If we pulled our heads out of our asses and worried less about the small shit we might even be able to elect some folks who had the courage and insight to actually make our higher order freedoms more accessible.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
We ARE the government silly. If we pulled our heads out of our asses and worried less about the small shit we might even be able to elect some folks who had the courage and insight to actually make our higher order freedoms more accessible.

Ya know dillo, that's EXACTLY the attitude I'm hoping MANY people have, because you're right.

I won't vote "party lines" anymore. I'll vote for who best represents what it is I want... period. Unless he/she is a liberal... then no way... :thup:

dilloduck said:
I see where you're coming from, I'm just really pessimistic when it comes to ANY politician.

I see where you're coming from, I'm just really pessimistic when it comes to ANY politician.

As am I but let's at least put the blame where it belongs. There's no hope unless we accept responsibility. I fear we have already been conquered by those amongst us but to give in to it would be surrendering and I don't surrender certain things without a fight.

dilloduck said:
As am I but let's at least put the blame where it belongs. There's no hope unless we accept responsibility. I fear we have already been conquered by those amongst us but to give in to it would be surrendering and I don't surrender certain things without a fight.
That'd be nice but I don't think anything will ever happen. The system is too strong at this point.

dilloduck said:
Bin laden shook the most powerful country on earth to it's core. Maybe enough truth speakers can do the same thing.
I just don't see that happening. Too much like the movies. Things will continue as they are, and likely deteriorate. Who knows really though. I've got two years left in this country. Maybe something will happen by then. If you and your truth speakers get organized I'll sign up.

The Constitution specifically mentions providing for the common defense and promoting the general welfare. It also gives the federal government the power to regulate all matters concerning interstate commerce. That being said, here's a bunch of reasons to enforce English as the official language of the United States of America and require that any and all immigrants learn at least the basics before entry.

1. A multilingual society harms the economy. Look at the intruction manuals in internationally distributed products. They cost 5+ as many times to make, since they are printing in at least 5 languages (English, French, Chinese, Japanese, and Spanish). Now think about how much money we waste every year making sure those criminal dolts among us can understand what's printed and said. There's interpereters, extra paper, extra ink, and then the ridiculous amount of time confused Americans spend trying to puzzle through transactions with invading Mexicans.

2. A multicultural society leaves us open to attack from within. One of the things any new citizen must do is swear off any allegiences to the old country. How can we begin to think they're for real if they won't even learn our language. You can't show loyalty to someone with whom you cannot speak. You see all this stuff about Aztlan? If it came to blows, which it may, who do you think the Spanish only crowd will side with, the side of the Anglos they can't communicate with or the side of 'their own' people.

3. America cannot stand divided. Even if all of these communities from other countries were loyal to us, America cannot live with itself when it's not united with itself. My hometown has a large chunk of it owned solely by Mexicans. As far as I'm concerned, it's not even there. Nobody there speaks English. Nothing is printed in English. It's also more ridden with crime than any other area of the town, mostly against the white people who foolheartedly or mistakenly wandered in there and made the mistake of getting out of their cars.

This country must be one, united whole, not a series of disparate communities with nothing in common other than the political and geographical borders they live between.

I just don't see that happening. Too much like the movies. Things will continue as they are, and likely deteriorate. Who knows really though. I've got two years left in this country though. Maybe something will happen by then though. If you and your truth speakers get organized I'll sign up.

I try--others here do too. I think we need to act more but lack the leadership to organize anything. We get caught up in silly ass details and forget what our country is supposed to be all about.

Forum List

Back