Why Romney Thinks Trump Will Win Reelection

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Mitt Romney is one of Donald Trump’s biggest Republican critics on Capitol Hill. He’s the only GOP senator who voted to convict the president for abuse of power earlier this year, and he regularly calls Trump out on policy and personal conduct.

Yet the Utah lawmaker, who was his party’s presidential standard-bearer in 2012, believes Trump is likely to win reelection this November.

Asked why he foresees that outcome, especially with most public polls showing Trump trailing badly behind presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden, Romney offered three reasons.

“There are enormous advantages to being the incumbent, number one,” Romney told HuffPost on Thursday. “Number two, I think [Trump] will tack more towards the middle in his communication than he has so far.”

“And number three, I think the voters that are most animated in opposition to the president tend not to come out to vote ― and that’s young people and the minorities. They’re active in polls, but not necessarily active at actually getting out to the polls,” the senator said.

The futility of expecting Trump to somehow moderate his tone aside, Romney’s theory about the nature of the electorate and polling is an interesting one.

OMG, I hope he's wrong. What do you think? I look forward to some intelligent responses.

Last edited:
Mitt Romney is one of Donald Trump’s biggest Republican critics on Capitol Hill. He’s the only GOP senator who voted to convict the president for abuse of power earlier this year, and he regularly calls Trump out on policy and personal conduct.

Yet the Utah lawmaker, who was his party’s presidential standard-bearer in 2012, believes Trump is likely to win reelection this November.

Asked why he foresees that outcome, especially with most public polls showing Trump trailing badly behind presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden, Romney offered three reasons.

“There are enormous advantages to being the incumbent, number one,” Romney told HuffPost on Thursday. “Number two, I think [Trump] will tack more towards the middle in his communication than he has so far.”

“And number three, I think the voters that are most animated in opposition to the president tend not to come out to vote ― and that’s young people and the minorities. They’re active in polls, but not necessarily active at actually getting out to the polls,” the senator said.

The futility of expecting Trump to somehow moderate his tone aside, Romney’s theory about the nature of the electorate and polling is an interesting one.

OMG, I hope he's wrong. What do you think?
take a breath lakota and calm down.....if trump wins will we see you here crying like a little girl?....or will you be like your buddies dean and jones and disappear for 6 months?....

OMG, I hope he's wrong. What do you think?

I think Romney has found a few people, including yourself, who actually give a rat's ass what Romney thinks.

From the OP:

In other words, don’t count out all those young and minority Americans fed up with Trump. But Biden has also shown an unusual strength among older voters ― a group that at least in modern history has tended to favor GOP presidential candidates. That could give him a path to the White House that doesn’t necessarily rely on a surge of young and minority voters.

OMG, I hope he's wrong. What do you think? I look forward to some intelligent responses.

I would not be that concerned about Romney's instincts when it comes to political strategy, he wasn't very successful against Barack...

Romney may be right.

God forbid, but, Romney may be right.

Why?

* Law and Order

* Cancel Culture

Given just how bad Rump truly is for the country, and with the election the Dems' to lose...

The Dems can be just as optics-blind and asinine as the Pubs... just in different ways...

A very great many Dems/Libs/Progs couldn't find their butts with both hands in a brightly-lit room surrounded by mirrors...

There are almost as many of that type of Dem as there are the same incompetent type on the Pub side of the aisle...

The election is the Dems' to lose...

I have every confidence that they are perfectly capable of snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory... :p

Last edited:

I would not be that concerned about Romney's instincts when it comes to political strategy, he wasn't very successful against Barack...

Nobody is wrong 100% of the time. ;)

This time he is right!:up:

From the OP: In other words, don’t count out all those young and minority Americans fed up with Trump. But Biden has also shown an unusual strength among older voters ― a group that at least in modern history has tended to favor GOP presidential candidates. That could give him a path to the White House that doesn’t necessarily rely on a surge of young and minority voters.
A lot of Republicans are tired of Trump's BS. Older voters that think he hasn't been serious enough about Covid. Veterans who are appalled by his ignoring warnings about Russian bounties. Republican officials and campaign workers that think Trump doesn't align with the parties ideals and lots of ordinary voters some who didn't vote for Trump in '16 and many who did.

Republican Voters Against Trump- 76.5K subscribers and counting

Reason Number 4

Trump has Putin stealing the election for him

Romney may be right.

God forbid, but, Romney may be right.

Why?

* Law and Order

* Cancel Culture

Given just how bad Rump truly is for the country, and with the election the Dems' to lose...

The Dems can be just as optics-blind and asinine as the Pubs... just in different ways...

A very great many Dems/Libs/Progs couldn't find their butts with both hands in a brightly-lit room surrounded by mirrors...

There are almost as many of that type of Dem as there are the same incompetent type on the Pub side of the aisle...

The election is the Dems' to lose...

I have every confidence that they are perfectly capable of snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory... :p

Law and order?, coming from the pussygrabber, who has managed this country like a criminal enterprise, whoever believes that shit must be deluded...

1595632737482.png

Here we are barely three months before an election and a wily old politician like Romney can't even bring himself to mention the other freaking candidate. This is freaking crazy. Democrats might be on the defensive because of his three lame political cliches but they will lose because they have a bad candidate.

President Trump could use your help. Please vote for him this November.

I agree with him... And I never supported him in any way. Even against Obama. For me he's republican version of Hillary.

Romney recognizes that Trump is a winner, not a pathetic loser like himself. Let me add this here. If President Trump would back out of the race and the Republican Party nominated him for the Presidency this year, Sleepy Joe would schlong him just like he did in 2012

Puppets don't think- they're made of wood and respond to strings being pulled.

...Law and order?, coming from the pussygrabber, who has managed this country like a criminal enterprise, whoever believes that shit must be deluded...
This is exactly what I'm talking about ^^^

You're spending so much time throwing rocks at the other side that you overlook the grave damage you've done to yourselves since nationwide rioting began.

I don't think that you - or a very, very large percentage of your Dem/Lib/Prog colleagues - actually realizes just how much ground you've lost in recent weeks.

Rump is a National Nightmare, but at least he's sending-in Federal Agents and other troops to begin suppressing the worst of the disorder.

And the Orange Creature is making the most of the windfall 'edge' you idiots have given him during all this rioting and protesting...

Consider the following...

Now, imagine you're an actual Average American who routinely doesn't give two craps about politics because he's too busy living his life...

That Average American sees such things and he begins to worry... rightly or wrongly...

Is the Rump ad an unfair depiction? Of course it is. That goes without saying. That's a "gimme".

But in the Short Attention-Span Theater that is American Public Politics, you've suffered a massive setback on the law-and-order front.

Massive.

And, of course, if you have to explain yourself (defunding the police doesn't mean defunding the police), then you've already lost the argument.

You damned idiots may have just cost the Dems the general election... I really don't now for sure... but Romney probably had this in mind when he spoke.

The question is... with only 100 days -ish to go before November 3rd... is there enough time remaining for you to fix what you broke yourselves?

I truly do not know the answer to that question,.

Last edited:
... Romney recognizes that Trump is a winner...
Rump is a goddamned nightmare and the worst, amoral, incompetent, arrogant, ignorant POTUS in the entire history of the Republic.

That said, he might actually manage to squeak-by one more time, because of the idiot Dems/Libs/Progs and their Defund-the-Cops and Cancel-Culture.

It's possible, because the young do not vote with their feet.... unless really excited.....

Though, they did come out and vote in the 2018 midterms, so maybe the tide has turned on the usual lack of turn out, for the young?

Forum List

Back