Why Japan’s Bullet Train Will Finally Bring High-Speed Rail to America

High speed rail would certainly not take a week to cross the country.

How many trillions are we talking? We as a nation are so far in debt. How do we afford such luxury and do we need it, when a system is already in place.
So, you prefer a system that is outdated and nearly useless? The world has passed us by.

Who cares. It's not a contest to see who can build the biggest train set. The real world tells us that a bankrupt country with starving people could really not give a shit about a pretty train set.
Lincoln did it while fighting the Civil War. I know the Right has disowned him.

Red Herring
Nope, and Eisenhower built the highway system while we were recovering from WW2. Putting those folks to work got us out of debt.

Bear in mind that all of these other countries you mention are much smaller than we are and far more compact. I can possibly see the benefit of a high speed train between places like New York and D.C. or LA to Las Vegas, etc., but who would want to take a high speed train from New York to LA when you can fly there at 700 miles per hour in five hours? How much more affordable than a plane would these high speed trains be?
People used trains cross-country in the past, when planes were available. It's a matter of what one likes. I enjoy trains and being able to see the country. I'm talking about Europe, of course, since AMTRAK is a joke.

High speed trains in Europe tend to run in trenches. You don't get to see much of the county most of the time. From Paris to London (which we take at least once a year) there are two spots where you can see anything.

I've flown cross country many times, but never at 700 miles per hour. More like half that - 700 MPH is almost the speed of sound.

Bear in mind that all of these other countries you mention are much smaller than we are and far more compact. I can possibly see the benefit of a high speed train between places like New York and D.C. or LA to Las Vegas, etc., but who would want to take a high speed train from New York to LA when you can fly there at 700 miles per hour in five hours? How much more affordable than a plane would these high speed trains be?
China is smaller than the US?

How do you manage a weeks trip across country on a train to visit relatives vs flying for 5 hours and actually being able to spend time with them? No, you are wrong as wrong can be.

How many trillions are we talking? We as a nation are so far in debt. How do we afford such luxury and do we need it, when a system is already in place.
So, you prefer a system that is outdated and nearly useless? The world has passed us by.

Who cares. It's not a contest to see who can build the biggest train set. The real world tells us that a bankrupt country with starving people could really not give a shit about a pretty train set.

No, he didn't. Nevada was made a State long before we had the necessary requirements because we had a shitload of silver. The Comstock lode paid for Lincolns war.

Red Herring
Nope,....

Yup. We are not in a civil war, not recovering from WWII, and not building an infrastructure that serves an unmet need.

Red Herring.

Uh --- no, I'm not. You take the time you have... and you manage it. Ain't rocket surgery. You people who entertain this obsession with speed at any cost.... SMH

How do you manage a weeks trip across country on a train to visit relatives vs flying for 5 hours and actually being able to spend time with them? No, you are wrong as wrong can be.

Ask Westwall about his driving exploits. He's got some imagination.

Our entire trip was two weeks, and that included training from New Orleans out to Portland, renting a car, jaunting around inside Oregon and then up the coast, around the tip of Washington, then east to Seattle to visit my brother, then back down to Portland to return the car and get on the train back to New Orleans.

As I said -- time management.

Big whoop. While you were stuck on the train we went to the Smithsonian, the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum, Gettysburg, Philly, Aberdeen Proving grounds, Valley Forge, Annapolis, the USS Constitution, the Peabody Library and a host of places, things and people in between. I think we managed our time very well. I guarantee you we saw twenty times more than you did.

Seeing as how you think it takes a train a week to cross this country -- I doubt you know what you saw. :rofl:

Depending on which route you take it can be as much as 5 days. Five days that could actually be spent doing something other than watching the world go by. I understand that you are a passive tourist. I'm not.

A guide to train travel in the USA Coast to coast by Amtrak from 227 the USA by train

Red Herring
Nope,....

Yup. We are not in a civil war, not recovering from WWII, and not building an infrastructure that serves an unmet need.

Red Herring.
You're aware that we have debt and unemployment, both of which would be improved by fixing out infrastructure, like Lincoln, FDR, and Eisenhower did.

The seanery by train during the day from Boston to NYC is spectacular. I'd never fly that route.

Ummm, it's "scenery". And sure it is...

22172282.jpg

105160186_b5cc58a1d3_z.jpg

These are the nice views..

2407-25-10.jpg
3407-25-10.jpg
2307-25-10.jpg

This is what I like....

new_york6.jpg
massachusetts-autumn-foliage.png

Red Herring
Nope,....

Red Herring.
You're aware that we have debt and unemployment, both of which would be improved by fixing out infrastructure....

No, they would not.

People used trains cross-country in the past, when planes were available. It's a matter of what one likes. I enjoy trains and being able to see the country. I'm talking about Europe, of course, since AMTRAK is a joke.

High speed trains in Europe tend to run in trenches. You don't get to see much of the county most of the time. From Paris to London (which we take at least once a year) there are two spots where you can see anything.

I've flown cross country many times, but never at 700 miles per hour. More like half that - 700 MPH is almost the speed of sound.

Really? I think you have never flown then. The cruise speed of a 747 is 550 mph. Factor in a good tailwind and I have seen them approach .9 mach.

Red Herring
Nope,....

Red Herring.
You're aware that we have debt and unemployment, both of which would be improved by fixing out infrastructure....

No, they would not.
Bullshit -

Red Herring.

No, they would not.
Bullshit -

If you build the correct infrastructure, you are correct. I am talking about that which immediately leads to production and ease of transport for moving mass quantities of goods. Building a train, that no one rides isn't the way to do it. In all the world there are TWO lines that actually pay for themselves TWO!

Nope,....

Red Herring.

No, they would not.
Bullshit -

If you build the correct infrastructure, you are correct. I am talking about that which immediately leads to production and ease of transport for moving mass quantities of goods. Building a train, that no one rides isn't the way to do it. In all the world there are TWO lines that actually pay for themselves TWO!
Better than airlines, huh? Transportation is good for commerce, ask around.

Why do we need trains when there isn't any jobs to ride them to?

It'll be like the guberment Amtrak. a money PIT

The seanery by train during the day from Boston to NYC is spectacular. I'd never fly that route.

Ummm, it's "scenery". And sure it is...

22172282.jpg

105160186_b5cc58a1d3_z.jpg

These are the nice views..

2407-25-10.jpg
3407-25-10.jpg
2307-25-10.jpg

This is what I like....

new_york6.jpg
massachusetts-autumn-foliage.png

LOL, I noticed you left out everything but the entry into NYC - the coast of CT & RI in particular. Well, no one has ever pretended that right wingers don't lie by omission, since the evidence is so clear and convincing.

The seanery [sic] by train during the day from Boston to NYC is spectacular. I'd never fly that route.

Yeah, why the hell would anyone leave Boston to go to New York?

Caught a sox game in bean town, then went to New York to see the Giants play the Mets on Thursday and the Yankees on Friday Night. Manhattan was packed with Giant's fans that week.

Really? I think you have never flown then. The cruise speed of a 747 is 550 mph. Factor in a good tailwind and I have seen them approach .9 mach.

Mea culpa, for some reason I thought the cruising speed was around 350 MPH.

Forum List

Back