Why don't people watch films?

Musicals suck, and 'rock opera' musicals are pure garbage, even worse than 'Broadway'. One of the finest signers around, Jackie Evancho, has a fetish for that horrible genre that I do not get at all. Very few songs worth hearing. I do like a very few, but I could live without them in favor of others. Even Sarah Brightman moved on to crossover several decades ago.

Musicals suck, and 'rock opera' musicals are pure garbage, even worse than 'Broadway'. One of the finest signers around, Jackie Evancho, has a fetish for that horrible genre that I do not get at all. Very few songs worth hearing. I do like a very few, but I could live without them in favor of others. Even Sarah Brightman moved on to crossover several decades ago.
As a kid, I hated musical. They seem so silly. People walking down a street and suddenly bursting into song and dance. My tastes changed as I grew older.

I would agree that if you like a film you can watch it over and over

it doesn't get old if you get a good feeling after watch it or it elicits a strong emotion from the viewer

it really is a personal thing.

people tell me about a movie and how good it was and after watching it I really want give them a open hand to the forehead for wasting my time on such an obvious bad movie

Doh

it doesn't get old if you get a good feeling after watch it or it elicits a strong emotion from the viewer

people tell me about a movie and how good it was and after watching it I really want give them a open hand to the forehead for wasting my time on such an obvious bad movie

Doh
The trick is to select movies based on genres you like, plots you like, and actors you like. When someone recommends a movie to me, the first thing I do is watch the trailer because it tells me a bit about all three criteria. I don't like movies where evil triumphs over good so it doesn't matter how good the acting, script, music, direction, or cinematography.

I watch old films far more than newer films. Among my favorites are Little Foxes, Quo Vadis, Ride Lonesome...

I've seen some of the Rathbone/Bruce Sherlock Holmes stuff. I'd read the books first, which sometimes ruins the film version, in this case, it did. That said, since this is the TV forum, there's that 1980's series...it seems to me that Jeremy Brett was a very good Sherlock Holmes.
Jeremy Brett and Basil Rathbone are IMHO, the best Sherlock Homes.
There is no good Sherlock homes. I just erased one I taped off amc. It was so boring. All that talk and so slow.

But if there is a best peter sellers was the best. He played Sherlock homes too right?

Even my man Robert Downey jr couldn’t make it good. And I love the premise. I don’t know why this franchise sucks in my mind. Too slow and too much talky nonsense uninteresting. No action. Blah

Doh
The trick is to select movies based on genres you like, plots you like, and actors you like. When someone recommends a movie to me, the first thing I do is watch the trailer because it tells me a bit about all three criteria. I don't like movies where evil triumphs over good so it doesn't matter how good the acting, script, music, direction, or cinematography.

But that’s the thing. A good detective who done it sounds good to me. But for some reason they don’t hook me and I lose interest. Don’t know the point. Get to the point.

I love Robert Downey jr but couldn’t watch his homes all the way thru.

I watch old films far more than newer films. Among my favorites are Little Foxes, Quo Vadis, Ride Lonesome...

I've seen some of the Rathbone/Bruce Sherlock Holmes stuff. I'd read the books first, which sometimes ruins the film version, in this case, it did. That said, since this is the TV forum, there's that 1980's series...it seems to me that Jeremy Brett was a very good Sherlock Holmes.
There is no good Sherlock homes. I just erased one I taped off amc. It was so boring. All that talk and so slow.

But if there is a best peter sellers was the best. He played Sherlock homes too right?

Even my man Robert Downey jr couldn’t make it good. And I love the premise. I don’t know why this franchise sucks in my mind. Too slow and too much talky nonsense uninteresting. No action. Blah

It's because you have the attention span of a chipmunk on crack. If every frame of a film doesn't have screaming, car chases, and explosions you lose interest. Stick to the ADD category of 'arts,' spaz.

Do you have nightmares about being forced to read an actual BOOK, chipmunk?

Enjoy the Noir films .Raymond Burr plays the villan better then anyone. Fred Mac Murry and Kim Novak In Push Over Have about the most steamy scene I've scene on film .

I watch lots of films. Old and new.

I also very much enjoy foreign films, not really caring what is the language, sometimes english subs, or just figure it out. Here's a couple below.

Take for instance "the girl with the dragon tattoo, girl who kicked the hornets nest and a 3rd" Originally Swedish I believe? Read the books first, then the foreign, then saw the US remakes, OK but not the same.

Another I watched in Spanish but also in English was "Motorcycle diaries"

The dramatization of a motorcycle road trip Che Guevara went on in his youth that showed him his life's calling.

EN
Director:
Walter Salles
Writers:
Ernesto 'Che' Guevara (book) (as Ernesto Guevara), Alberto Granado (book) | 1 more credit »
Stars:
Gael García Bernal, Rodrigo De la Serna, Mía Maestro | See full cast & crew »

Now this one, Jacques Mesrine, 2 parts, French.

The story of the notorious French gangster Jacques Mesrine, with the focus on his life before the early 1970s and the events that led to him being declared Public Enemy No. 1 in France.
EN
Director:
Jean-François Richet
Writers:
Jacques Mesrine (book), Abdel Raouf Dafri (scenario) | 2 more credits »
Stars:
Vincent Cassel, Cécile de France, Gérard Depardieu | See full cast & crew »

Enjoy the Noir films .Raymond Burr plays the villan better then anyone. Fred Mac Murry and Kim Novak In Push Over Have about the most steamy scene I've scene on film .
Ah yeah you just beat these old classics.

It's because you have the attention span of a chipmunk on crack. If every frame of a film doesn't have screaming, car chases, and explosions you lose interest. Stick to the ADD category of 'arts,' spaz.

Sherlock Holmes would be a much bigger franchise if there wasn’t some truth to what I’m saying.

I feel the same way about old Godzilla movie. I was a kid I should have loved Godzilla movie but most of the movie is just bad acting. Another blown franchise.

You probably watch shows on lifetime

Sherlock Holmes would be a much bigger franchise if there wasn’t some truth to what I’m saying.

Ugh...talky people hurt bobo head...no boom boom pow pow no understand...need more flashy light loud noisy!

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

The video you posted says video unavailable at least to me from what I see. I went through a phase of watching turner classics and old films I love them. But lately, I have moved to 70's and 80's tv sitcoms just because I wanted a change. But yeah classic films are awesome.

...I feel the same way about old Godzilla movie. ...

Good example. You probably have no idea what that movie was about.
The hounds of Baskerville. The opening scene was of back when the lord murdered the inn keepers daughter because she ran. Ridiculous. Why didn’t he just rape her like he originally planned? Instead the queer stabbed her. That’s when something growling showed up and killed the murderering lord.

Cut to some guy tellin Watson and Sherlock this story. Even Watson told the guy to get to the point.

I wasn’t interested enough to even fast forward to the end.

i know. It’s like scooby do. In the end it’s going to be like clue. That game was meah too. Who done it? Who cares.

...I feel the same way about old Godzilla movie. ...

Good example. You probably have no idea what that movie was about.
The hounds of Baskerville. The opening scene was of back when the lord murdered the inn keepers daughter because she ran. Ridiculous. Why didn’t he just rape her like he originally planned? Instead the queer stabbed her. That’s when something growling showed up and killed the murderering lord.

Cut to some guy tellin Watson and Sherlock this story. Even Watson told the guy to get to the point.

I wasn’t interested enough to even fast forward to the end.

i know. It’s like scooby do. In the end it’s going to be like clue. That game was meah too. Who done it? Who cares.

Go play with a ball of yarn, brainless.

Doh

But that’s the thing. A good detective who done it sounds good to me. But for some reason they don’t hook me and I lose interest. Don’t know the point. Get to the point.

I love Robert Downey jr but couldn’t watch his homes all the way thru.
People have different taste. I told my daughter to be sure and see Citizen Kane. She saw it and hated it. She likes modern situation comedies and I don't. Different strokes for different folks.

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

The video you posted says video unavailable at least to me from what I see. I went through a phase of watching turner classics and old films I love them. But lately, I have moved to 70's and 80's tv sitcoms just because I wanted a change. But yeah classic films are awesome.

Try Googling free movies prior to 1940
If you really want to find free movies on the internet you certainly can but my experience is that it is time consuming and often you end up watching a poor copy with pieces missing. However, occasional you do find top quality free movies. The copywrite for many movies prior to the 1950 are expired and can be shown without copywrite infringements. You can find some on Youtube.

The Uninvited (1944). This is one the first high quality ghost movies. There is nothing new in the move; that is many of the ideas and scenes have been redone dozens of times. But it's fun to see the original. The theme music, "Stella by Starlight" is excellent.

Trailer

Part 1

Part 2

Here's another one, "The Enemy Below" (1957), probably one of the better submarine movies made. It starts Robert Mitchum and Curt Jürgens as a US destroyer captain and a German submarine captain playing a cat and mouse game in the Atlantic in WWII. As one critic described it, "More than 60 years, it still stands as one of the most thoughtful and humane war films ever made." Worth watching, even if you aren't a big fan of war movies.

The Enemy Below Theatrical Movie Trailer (1957) Trailer
The Enemy Below 1957 Movie

I've been looking for a free copy of Hobson's Choice 1954, a really funny movie. Rotten Tomatoes gave it 92.

Forum List

Back