Why does Congress prevent the CDC from studying gun-related violence?

How can it be stopped? Anyone that wants a gun, can get their hands on a gun. FYI - It's NOT guns, it's people. So, how would it be possible to determine who might go postal, and who might not? The problem is NOT guns, the problem is people. How would you monitor people, and determine which ones are more likely to go postal? How would you stop the domestic violence aspect of it? How would you stop gangs, criminals, and those that without signs or notice, decides to end their life while taking out as many as possible with them?

I'm looking forward to your answers to those questions. And, if you can't answer those questions with doable workable solutions, then you have no point, nor firm ground to base an argument on. Also, even if a study were to be done, and certain areas of violence are founds to be common and widespread, would the study prove to stop gun violence?

I wish I, or anyone else had doable, workable solutions to those problems, but for now no one seems to. That's why the problems need to be studied. If you are willing to just accept the large amounts of unnecessary deaths as "stuff happens" then you are an idiot. The American people have decided that the status quo is not acceptable. The only ones holding up any attempt to improve things are the NRA and their bought and paid for republican politicians, and a few crazy right wingers. Those obstacles will be removed soon.
Well, what can be done even if a study is done? Have any ideas? Or, are just all for wasting tax dollars on nonsense? Lets say for the sake of argument that a study is done, and evidence points to a certain problem. Then what? Still, even after a study is done, there are NO solutions to gun violence, NONE. It is impossible to remove all of the guns, and even more impossible to determine who may, or may not, commit acts of gun violence. Use common sense here, please. Regardless of what a study might indicate, the problem remains one of human behavior. So, how do we alter human behavior?

Hard to say what ideas the study might produce. Why are you afraid to even try? The childish claim that any attempt to prevent unnecessary deaths is the same as confiscating guns is just stupid.
Afraid ?????? .. Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!! ........ very silly and pathetic. As I have already explained in this thread several times, the problem is people, NOT guns. A study into GUN violence would be a waste of tax dollars. We already know what causes GUN violence, it's not a secret. Do you not follow daily headlines? There are hundreds of reasons behind gun violence, and I have listed several in previous comments to this thread. If you follow daily headlines, then you already know what causes GUN violence. And, each and every case, is PEOPLE, NOT guns. We do NOT have a GUN problem, we have a human behavior problem.

We have a crazy RWNJ/NRA/ idiot problem. The right is imploding, and will only be an impediment to progress for a short time longer.

I don't call disarming Americans progress.

There are 8,124 gun murders in the United States in 2014. That is down from the each year previous except for 2012. In 2013, there were 505 accidental gun deaths...again, also going down, not up.

Most of the 8,124 gun murders were criminals killing other criminals, and they were confined to tiny, multi block areas in major cities.

Study poverty, out of wedlock births, teen mother hood, homes with no fathers....those are areas that would reduce gun violence in these communities.

Also study how gun crime is handled by prosecutors and judges...they are not sentencing gun criminals to long prison sentences and too many criminals with gun crime arrests are getting back out in under 3 years and murdering people....

Study those things.

A comprehensive study of gun violence would probably include aspects of all those things. Why are you afraid to look for a way to reduce unnecessary deaths?
FYI - No one is afraid to look for ways to reduce gun violence. But, most people have common sense, and they know that regardless of what a study may reveal, the problem of human behavior will remain. Remember, the problem is people, NOT guns.

So why are you afraid to try to find the answer? No, I don't think there is one perfect solution, but I know there has to be ways to reduce the problem.
No one that I know of is afraid of a study. Did someone in this thread say they were afraid of a study? If so, I missed it. I have already explained my position, and it has absolutely nothing to do with fear of anything. Remember, the problem is human behavior, and NOT guns.

You are getting stupider by the day. I've paid enough attention to your childish mutterings.
Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!! ....... well, the problem is you don't have any answers. I have stated my position, and you have danced around in circles. The only reason you're saying it's childish, is because you have no argument, no answers, and nothing to dispute what I have said. Have a nice evening.

FYI - We can NOT stop gun violence, it's impossible. It doesn't matter how much the horrible crime is studied, nor who studies it, gun violence will continue. There are millions of guns in the hands of the general public, and there's no way to take all the guns away from people. Guns are shipped into this country every single day. People sell guns on the black market, and over the internet.

Anyone that wants a gun can get their hands on a gun. You can NOT legislate guns away, nor will any study prevent gun violence. A study would be a huge waste of money and resources that could be put to better use. We have tried to get rid of illegal drugs, tried to stop the flood of illegal immigrants, and have spent untold $Billions trying to stop world terrorism. Each time, we failed, and failed after we threw money and resources at the problems.

In addition, what real purpose would a study of gun violence serve? Hell, anyone can pick up a daily newspaper and read about gun violence, and that in itself is a study. We already know that gun violence stems from domestic disputes, illegal drug and gang activity, and mostly from mentally disturbed individuals. We also know that gun violence can be attributed to politics, religion, cults, hatred, revenge, jealousy, greed, adultery, alcohol and drug abuse, and many other driving influences.

Personally, I had rather see money spent on beneficial projects and programs where actual results can be seen and felt by this nation and her citizens as a whole. Why not spend funds on infrastructure, education, science, alternative energy, and our needy Vets? Why throw money away on a study that would amount to "nice to know information", but wouldn't solve the problem?

We certainly can't stop gun violence if we don't study it to find out which aspects of it are stoppable. What if we took the same attitude toward cancer?.
How can it be stopped? Anyone that wants a gun, can get their hands on a gun. FYI - It's NOT guns, it's people. So, how would it be possible to determine who might go postal, and who might not? The problem is NOT guns, the problem is people. How would you monitor people, and determine which ones are more likely to go postal? How would you stop the domestic violence aspect of it? How would you stop gangs, criminals, and those that without signs or notice, decides to end their life while taking out as many as possible with them?

I'm looking forward to your answers to those questions. And, if you can't answer those questions with doable workable solutions, then you have no point, nor firm ground to base an argument on. Also, even if a study were to be done, and certain areas of violence are founds to be common and widespread, would the study prove to stop gun violence?

I wish I, or anyone else had doable, workable solutions to those problems, but for now no one seems to. That's why the problems need to be studied. If you are willing to just accept the large amounts of unnecessary deaths as "stuff happens" then you are an idiot. The American people have decided that the status quo is not acceptable. The only ones holding up any attempt to improve things are the NRA and their bought and paid for republican politicians, and a few crazy right wingers. Those obstacles will be removed soon.
Well, what can be done even if a study is done? Have any ideas? Or, are just all for wasting tax dollars on nonsense? Lets say for the sake of argument that a study is done, and evidence points to a certain problem. Then what? Still, even after a study is done, there are NO solutions to gun violence, NONE. It is impossible to remove all of the guns, and even more impossible to determine who may, or may not, commit acts of gun violence. Use common sense here, please. Regardless of what a study might indicate, the problem remains one of human behavior. So, how do we alter human behavior?

Hard to say what ideas the study might produce. Why are you afraid to even try? The childish claim that any attempt to prevent unnecessary deaths is the same as confiscating guns is just stupid.

Exactly. Two aspects of studying death due to guns are suicides and accidental deaths, both of which are well worth studying.

We certainly can't stop gun violence if we don't study it to find out which aspects of it are stoppable. What if we took the same attitude toward cancer?.

Exactly. Two aspects of studying death due to guns are suicides and accidental deaths, both of which are well worth studying.
Study them for what reason? Accidents will happen regardless of any study. And, there's no way to prevent suicide. It'll be just a waste of tax dollars, time, and effort.

SonnyClark - you think suicide is funny? I don't.

Study them for what reason? Accidents will happen regardless of any study. And, there's no way to prevent suicide. It'll be just a waste of tax dollars, time, and effort.

Cancer happens regardless of any study. Is it a waste of tax dollrs, time and effort?

You realize that with 320 million people and 300 million firearms we have fewer then 600 accidental firearms deaths a year? And that the number is going down? Suicide? You do not need to study Firearms to study suicide in fact by clAIMING ONE MUST STUDY FIREARMS TO STUDY SUICIDE YOU JUST MADE IT POLITICAL

They are already studying suicides from all causes, as far as accidents go maybe you should concentrate on the causes that kill the most people first, like accidental falls which kill 19 times more than guns, more than 29,000 a year.

My B/U
Falls also are the leading cause of injury-related death for adults age 65 and older, according to Injury Facts 2015, the statistical report on unintentional injuries created by the National Safety Council. This is not surprising considering falls are among the most common causes of traumatic brain injury. About 29,500 people died from falls in 2013, and the vast majority of them were over age 65.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

• One in three older adults falls each year
  • About 2.5 million nonfatal falls were treated in emergency departments in 2013
  • Of those, 734,000 people were admitted to the hospital
  • That year, 25,500 older adults died from unintentional falls
  • More than 250,000 hip fractures are reported every year, and 95 percent of those are from falls

Safety at home: Falls

And darn if no one in this country is studying those things.

Cancer happens regardless of any study. Is it a waste of tax dollrs, time and effort?
Very damn ridiculous. So damn silly. Really a pathetic comment. Now you're doing the "apples and oranges" bullshit. Two entirely different ball games. There's NO way to compare the study of cancer and it's causes, and crazies going postal. Please, at least attempt to sound intelligent.

SonnyClark - you think suicide is funny? I don't.
Pleeeeeeeeeez ........... don't be so damn silly ............... of course suicide is NOT funny, in no way. And, I never said nor implied that it was..................... ( FYI -- My son took his life in 2007 at the young age of 31 ) ................ please use common sense .......... NO one thinks suicide is funny. Try not to sound stupid here, please. Try to sound somewhat intelligent. Thanks.

look up the definitions of recall and ban.
get back to us when you understand how useless your post was.

Products are banned and recalled when they cause harm.

Unless it's guns. Then you convince the dumb-asses that this dangerous thing in their home provides a benefit.

Oh, today's news. A five year old in Chicago took his fathers gun and shot his 3 year old brother.

Pleeeeeeeeeez ........... don't be so damn silly ............... of course suicide is NOT funny, in no way. And, I never said nor implied that it was..................... ( FYI -- My son took his life in 2007 at the young age of 31 ) ................ please use common sense .......... NO one thinks suicide is funny. Try not to sound stupid here, please. Try to sound somewhat intelligent. Thanks.

Talk to some of your fellow gun nuts. They think that Suicide is no big deal.

look up the definitions of recall and ban.
get back to us when you understand how useless your post was.

Products are banned and recalled when they cause harm.

Unless it's guns. Then you convince the dumb-asses that this dangerous thing in their home provides a benefit.

Oh, today's news. A five year old in Chicago took his fathers gun and shot his 3 year old brother.
not an equal comparison, but keep trying.
you are hard pressed to show any instance where a gun by itself has caused harm.
Guns have the potential to be used in a harmful way, but so does a butter knife or fork.

you are hard pressed to show any instance where a gun by itself has caused harm.
Guns have the potential to be used in a harmful way, but so does a butter knife or fork.

Guy, guns are DESIGNED to cause harm. That's their own real function.

Saying, "Guns only cause harm when the crazy person you sold it to" is like saying, "Defective baby seats only cause harm when you put a baby in one."

That's just crazy talk.

If you held the gun industry responsible for the Mercers and the Holmeses and the Lanzas of the world, you'd see them clean up their act pretty quickly.

Saying, "Guns only cause harm when the crazy person you sold it to" is like saying, "Defective baby seats only cause harm when you put a baby in one."

That's just crazy talk.

If you held the gun industry responsible for the Mercers and the Holmeses and the Lanzas of the world, you'd see them clean up their act pretty quickly.
The guns aren't defective.

Faulty comparison.

You are wrong.

Talk to some of your fellow gun nuts. They think that Suicide is no big deal.
People take their lives in different ways. Guns are not the only method used to commit suicide. FYI - I do NOT have fellow gun nuts. Obviously, you've mistaken me for someone else.

That's just crazy talk.

The problem is PEOPLE, and NOT guns. The gun industry is an important and vital industry.

Both have been studied. Do some research.

The problem is PEOPLE, and NOT guns. The gun industry is an important and vital industry.

What was that about you not being a gun nut again?

No, guy, the gun industry is not vital.

The gun industry costs America 33,000 lives, 78,000 injuries and 229 BILLION in expenses every year.

Every other industrialized country has figured this out and only limited gun ownership to those with valid needs.

Forum List

Back