Why do you need to carry a gun?

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
Not long ago, I walked to the mailbox, and along my route I saw a Copperhead snake. For those who are uninformed about this particular snake, it is venomous. A healthy adult probably will not die from the bite, providing that they receive medical attention promptly. However, children, and elderly, will find the bite far more deadly. Not to mention pets. Everyone on my street has dogs, and I have cats as well. Additionally my neighbor is in his 80’s, and he would probably find the bite life threatening.

So this snake was a danger to my pets, my neighbors, and the children who live a quarter mile away.

I pulled the pistol I habitually carry, and shot the snake. I was in my yard, in my neighborhood, if you can call it a neighborhood to live in such a rural area. Yet I was armed, because this is not the first wildlife threat I’ve found myself facing. We also have Wild Boar, which are very aggressive and potentially dangerous or deadly. Coyotes are heard from time to time as they roam along the wooded areas that take up a vast majority of the space out here.

I did not go looking for the snake. I did not go out of my way searching for it. I found it on my normal path, walking to the mailbox in my rural area, on my land. In my yard, the area with grass and such.

So why carry a gun? Because if I had to turn around and rush to the house to get the pistol, the snake may have moved, and been difficult, or impossible to locate. Perhaps he would have returned to the woods, where I sometimes walk, to check the property, but never in a hunting frame of mind. That snake might have bitten my dog, my cats, or my neighbors pets. It might have bitten my neighbor, the old man who has his mailbox positioned next to mine. It might have bitten a child. The best you could hope for is an expensive trip to the Emergency Room, sucking your cash out to pay for the care you would need to minimize the danger.

There is much truth in the old saying. It is better to have, and not need, than to need and not have. There are. Probably a dozen more Copperheads within two hundred yards of where I sit. In the woods, or marshy areas. Hunting and living, and just as much of a danger to the neighborhood as the one I shot. I did not break the law. In Georgia, you can kill venomous snakes, but not non venomous snakes. The experts tell you to take two steps back, and run away if you come across one. That is not my way. It leaves the problem for another. It leaves the danger for my 80 year old neighbor, his dog, or the dogs two doors down who meander over to say hello now and then.

It leaves the danger for the children, who ride their bikes up and down the dirt road.

So why do you need to carry a gun? Because there are more dangers than the odd robbery, or attempted murder. Because the world is filled with threats, two legged, four legged, and even no legs at all. With a gun, you have a much better chance of survival than without. With a gun, you do not guarantee survival, but you increase your odds dramatically.

Yes, accidents are going to happen, just as they do with cars and drivers. Yes, people are going to use the gun to criminally harm another. And yes, people who have guns are going to die before they can get the thing into play. I didn’t say it was a miracle answer, I just said it increases your odds of survival. No one can guarantee your safety or protection. The best that they, or I, can do is give you a fighting chance at survival. Be it from a Copperhead, or a Shitheaded thug. If you choose to take no action to protect yourself, that is your choice, and I’ll respect it. But do not try and take that right from others, because I won’t respect that.

Not long ago, I walked to the mailbox, and along my route I saw a Copperhead snake. For those who are uninformed about this particular snake, it is venomous. A healthy adult probably will not die from the bite, providing that they receive medical attention promptly. However, children, and elderly, will find the bite far more deadly. Not to mention pets. Everyone on my street has dogs, and I have cats as well. Additionally my neighbor is in his 80’s, and he would probably find the bite life threatening.

So this snake was a danger to my pets, my neighbors, and the children who live a quarter mile away.

I pulled the pistol I habitually carry, and shot the snake. I was in my yard, in my neighborhood, if you can call it a neighborhood to live in such a rural area. Yet I was armed, because this is not the first wildlife threat I’ve found myself facing. We also have Wild Boar, which are very aggressive and potentially dangerous or deadly. Coyotes are heard from time to time as they roam along the wooded areas that take up a vast majority of the space out here.

I did not go looking for the snake. I did not go out of my way searching for it. I found it on my normal path, walking to the mailbox in my rural area, on my land. In my yard, the area with grass and such.

So why carry a gun? Because if I had to turn around and rush to the house to get the pistol, the snake may have moved, and been difficult, or impossible to locate. Perhaps he would have returned to the woods, where I sometimes walk, to check the property, but never in a hunting frame of mind. That snake might have bitten my dog, my cats, or my neighbors pets. It might have bitten my neighbor, the old man who has his mailbox positioned next to mine. It might have bitten a child. The best you could hope for is an expensive trip to the Emergency Room, sucking your cash out to pay for the care you would need to minimize the danger.

There is much truth in the old saying. It is better to have, and not need, than to need and not have. There are. Probably a dozen more Copperheads within two hundred yards of where I sit. In the woods, or marshy areas. Hunting and living, and just as much of a danger to the neighborhood as the one I shot. I did not break the law. In Georgia, you can kill venomous snakes, but not non venomous snakes. The experts tell you to take two steps back, and run away if you come across one. That is not my way. It leaves the problem for another. It leaves the danger for my 80 year old neighbor, his dog, or the dogs two doors down who meander over to say hello now and then.

It leaves the danger for the children, who ride their bikes up and down the dirt road.

So why do you need to carry a gun? Because there are more dangers than the odd robbery, or attempted murder. Because the world is filled with threats, two legged, four legged, and even no legs at all. With a gun, you have a much better chance of survival than without. With a gun, you do not guarantee survival, but you increase your odds dramatically.

Yes, accidents are going to happen, just as they do with cars and drivers. Yes, people are going to use the gun to criminally harm another. And yes, people who have guns are going to die before they can get the thing into play. I didn’t say it was a miracle answer, I just said it increases your odds of survival. No one can guarantee your safety or protection. The best that they, or I, can do is give you a fighting chance at survival. Be it from a Copperhead, or a Shitheaded thug. If you choose to take no action to protect yourself, that is your choice, and I’ll respect it. But do not try and take that right from others, because I won’t respect that.
Ridiculous sophistry.

No one ‘needs’ to carry a gun.

Carrying a concealed firearm is a subjective, personal preference.

Just as I carry a concealed firearm not out of ‘need’ but due to preference.

I have a CCW but I don't carry 99.99% of the time.

The reason I have one is mostly because it drives dimocrap scum crazy. One of my greatest joys in life.

Florida Law gives you the right to have one in your vehicle anyway so.......

Ridiculous sophistry.

"No one ‘needs’ to carry a gun."
That's total bullshit.
EVERYBODY decent living among the filth in America's shitholes "NEEDS" to carry.

I don't carry much during the week because my workplace does not allow firearms anywhere on the premises, including the parking lot. I don't feel at risk, but I do typically carry on weekends just because I can, and believe it is like an insurance policy. Better to have it and not need it, etc. I practice avoidance of bad places, and bad situations, always.

Ridiculous sophistry.

"No one ‘needs’ to carry a gun."
That's total bullshit.
EVERYBODY decent living among the filth in America's shitholes "NEEDS" to carry.
/----/ Women gun ownership on the rise.
Women and Guns - Women's Views on Gun Control, Gun Safety, and Gun Ownership

For the same reason Kamala Harris does which is for" personal protection."

I keep a gun but I don't carry a gun. I'm glad others do though. They might be in a position to save my life one of these days if someone is trying to take it. I avoid as much as possible going into public places that are "gun free zones." If I find myself in one, I always hope some customer, patient, or teacher has a gun and is breaking with policy. ;)

Last edited:
No one needs to carry insurance of any kind sans the law, yet when its needed..... its needed

-Geaux

I probably don't NEED to carry a gun, as I tend to avoid less than highly civilized locales, and don't go slumming for fun. But "need" is never the question when it comes to constitutional rights anyway, but desire and choice.

It's a God-given right, and I choose to exercise it. No more need be said.

I live in a similar area. We have snakes here but not Copperheads, innocuous ones. We do have black bear and can often hear coyotes yipping, quite close. I hear tell there's mountain lion.

The only guns I have or wish to have are staple guns and caulking guns. Ones for purposes of construction, not destruction. I just can't go through life looking over my shoulder for "threats" --- wouldn't ever want to live that way. If I ever felt I "needed" to walk around packing, that would seem the time to turn it on myself because what's the point.

The only guns I have or wish to have are staple guns and caulking guns. Ones for purposes of construction, not destruction. I just can't go through life looking over my shoulder for "threats" --- wouldn't ever want to live that way.

Have you read any of the posts? None of us are looking over our shoulders for "threats". No we are not living that way. Once again you purposely inject a LIE when several posts say they exact opposite. That shows a distinct lack of character.

I wouldn't trust you with either a caulking gun, nor a staple gun, nor a water pistol for that matter. You can't trust yourself so don't think others should. Sad. I wouldn't live that way.

The only guns I have or wish to have are staple guns and caulking guns. Ones for purposes of construction, not destruction. I just can't go through life looking over my shoulder for "threats" --- wouldn't ever want to live that way.

Have you read any of the posts? None of us are looking over our shoulders for "threats". No we are not living that way. Once again you purposely inject a LIE when several posts say they exact opposite. That shows a distinct lack of character.

I wouldn't trust you with either a caulking gun, nor a staple gun, nor a water pistol for that matter. You can't trust yourself so don't think others should. Sad. I wouldn't live that way.

Whatever, hiny-rash. I quoted the OP and responded to IT. With my own comparative observations of what goes on here.

That's not a "lie". Go buy a dictionary.

I carry a gun every where I go . A rugar 357 mag snub nose stainless.I work at night and am driving fromm job site to job site its a must
My man carrys a gun except at work he works in areo space on federal property

Whatever, hiny-rash. I quoted the OP and responded to IT. With my own comparative observations of what goes on here.

You are being blatantly dishonest, and the fact that you have to resort to a personal attack just reinforces that.

You are being blatantly dishonest, and the fact that you have to resort to a personal attack just reinforces that.

Actually I made no 'personal attack'. YOU just did. Twice.

Again you just lied. "Hiny-Rash" is not a personal attack? For the life of me, I could never come up wit that one.

Again you just lied. "Hiny-Rash" is not a personal attack? For the life of me, I could never come up wit that one.

Thank you. I can't take credit, I channel.

Anyway you're the one who called me a liar, aren't you. And then followed it up with "dishonest".
I don't believe in guns but I do bite back. Deal with it.

I got my CCW during the housing bubble when the ghetto was buying houses in my burb. Along with them came the crime, and my once nice city turned into a jungle.

We don't have too many problems with animals in the city, but the two-legged ones were the problem. It was so bad that one year I had three murders all within a mile of my house.

So I got my license and started to carry everywhere I went. I found it an inconvenience, but so would my funeral or long stay in the hospital.

Since then, the banks caught up with their foreclosures and chased all the lowlifes back to the projects. However it's like a tornado. Once it hits, it's difficult to rebuild.

So now I only carry when I go out at night, or know I'll be coming home from a family doing after dark. Do I need to carry a gun? Yes I do, just for my own peace of mind.

Forum List

Back