Why do so many teachers leave the profession?

Teachers make some of the best starting salaries there are for government workers.

Is your estimate graded for education required? Do you have evidence to support it?

The average salary for a teacher in a San Francisco School District is roughly $60K (which is down 0.3% from 2011) and they must posses at least a bachelors degree.

Now, here's a job listing from the City of San Francisco for a job with no educational requirements. Mail And Reproduction Service Supervisor

Starting salary...$62K

"where you teach at?"

No wonder you ended up teaching convicts.

Best kept secret in education too, I only wish I had found it 27 years ago. You can dis it all you want and I don't care. My guys don't sit in a stupid classroom for 4 years and get a high school diploma, make that GED, which, by the way, over 70% of recent high school graduates can't pass. They oftentimes start from almost zero and while some don't make it many do. There's nothing more rewarding in education like that, and I've done just about everything there is to do in education in 27 years. Some go right into college but I try and direct them to vocational training where the jobs are today.

"where you teach at?"

Best kept secret in education too, I only wish I had found it 27 years ago. You can dis it all you want and I don't care. My guys don't sit in a stupid classroom for 4 years and get a high school diploma, make that GED, which, by the way, over 70% of recent high school graduates can't pass. They oftentimes start from almost zero and while some don't make it many do. There's nothing more rewarding in education like that, and I've done just about everything there is to do in education in 27 years. Some go right into college but I try and direct them to vocational training where the jobs are today.

If they write like you do they shouldn't pass at all.

Teachers make some of the best starting salaries there are for government workers.

Is your estimate graded for education required? Do you have evidence to support it?

The average salary for a teacher in a San Francisco School District is roughly $60K (which is down 0.3% from 2011) and they must posses at least a bachelors degree.

Now, here's a job listing from the City of San Francisco for a job with no educational requirements. Mail And Reproduction Service Supervisor

Starting salary...$62K

In our state a masters is required, and starting teachers don't make half of that. You don't go into it for the money and if you do, you're fooling yourself.

I've talked to many, many ex-teachers who said they left because the children were simply uncontrollable and clearly getting worse.

One of my brothers retired from his job and decided to teach for a few years. That lasted two years, he said it was so bad it was scary. Kids (and I'm talking seven, eight years old) swearing at him, fighting in the class, not showing up for days at a time, parents defending their horrible children no matter what they did, parents not giving a shit, parents threatening to take action against him for their kids' bad grades, on and on. The kids' "self esteem" is now a far higher priority than their performance.

Just another example of a culture in decay.

This is another reason to take the entire education system out of the classroom and move to online courses. The money saved would be susbantial. Even with providing these students with a computer - they would still come out ahead. If the lesson is an online course - there is no opportunity for a marxist to indoctrinate a student - from the privacy of their own classroom. It brings the education system to a transparency that is long overdue in my opinion. Everyone can see what they are giving a lecture on and anyone can report them for stepping over the line with an inappropriate comment, etc.

Concerning the parents. The law of the land is their children have to attend school and it is their responsibility to make sure they attend. The only difference with online school is the parent would be responsible for making sure their child gets on their school issued computer and attends class every day. If they don't the parents are held responsible. Once again this takes the teacher out of the equation and would eventually produce more responsible parents! You'd be amazed how quickly they get involved when they realise the consequences fall on them instead of their children or the teacher! - Jeri

"where you teach at?"

If they write like you do they shouldn't pass at all.

Which again shows your lack of knowledge on the subject. This is a fucking forum, not a writing seminar at Columbia, in the event you needed a reality check. You really think John Grisham, Steven King, and all these people writing books on scholarly subjects (like you'd know anything about those) sit down and type it out and that's all? Ever heard of editors? Ever read the acknowledgments in a book where the author thanks all the people who read and edited the manuscripts? Of course not - you already know everything. I'm in contact with Joseph Wambaugh and Jeff Shaara, two award winning authors, not that you would know who they are, and get advice from them all the time. You think I am arrogant like you and search their email communications for errors? You're so goddamned arrogant and hateful you're losing touch with what little reality you might even know about.

I've talked to many, many ex-teachers who said they left because the children were simply uncontrollable and clearly getting worse.

One of my brothers retired from his job and decided to teach for a few years. That lasted two years, he said it was so bad it was scary. Kids (and I'm talking seven, eight years old) swearing at him, fighting in the class, not showing up for days at a time, parents defending their horrible children no matter what they did, parents not giving a shit, parents threatening to take action against him for their kids' bad grades, on and on. The kids' "self esteem" is now a far higher priority than their performance.

Just another example of a culture in decay.

This is another reason to take the entire education system out of the classroom and move to online courses. The money saved would be susbantial. Even with providing these students with a computer - they would still come out ahead. If the lesson is an online course - there is no opportunity for a marxist to indoctrinate a student - from the privacy of their own classroom. It brings the education system to a transparency that is long overdue in my opinion. Everyone can see what they are giving a lecture on and anyone can report them for stepping over the line with an inappropriate comment, etc.

Concerning the parents. The law of the land is their children have to attend school and it is their responsibility to make sure they attend. The only difference with online school is the parent would be responsible for making sure their child gets on their school issued computer and attends class every day. If they don't the parents are held responsible. Once again this takes the teacher out of the equation and would eventually produce more responsible parents! You'd be amazed how quickly they get involved when they realise the consequences fall on them instead of their children or the teacher! - Jeri

Again I ask, where do you teach?

Starting salary...$62K

In our state a masters is required, and starting teachers don't make half of that. You don't go into it for the money and if you do, you're fooling yourself.

My friend is a teacher, she gets summers off and makes a fortune. I guess teachers in your State aren't smart enough to send their resumes elsewhere.

Starting salary...$62K

My friend is a teacher, she gets summers off and makes a fortune. I guess teachers in your State aren't smart enough to send their resumes elsewhere.

Yes, anecdotal evidence is so compelling...

How about you tell me what state and I'll look it up?

Starting salary...$62K

How much do you consider a fortune? Minimum wage?

New York... Enough said. Oh, and her health plan covers boob jobs too.
http://www.thv11.com/news/article/197295/70/Buffalo-NY-teachers-get-free-plastic-surgery

Last edited:

Hey, give these armchair know it alls a break! We all live in gated communities. In fact, my limo to my private jet is due any minute!

Where the cost of living is probably a lot higher. It's all relative.

Buffalo, NY teachers get free plastic surgery | todaysthv.com

So your friend lives specifically in Buffalo or does she teach in the city? There will be a decided salary difference.

So your friend lives specifically in Buffalo or does she teach in the city? There will be a decided salary difference.

Teaches in the city, and like everyone else... Lives in the suburbs.

I still feel you are subjecting the wrong institution with the blame. The moral fabric of the family itself has broken down.

Family values? You think it is the schools place to teach that when the parents have not values themselves and their children don't respect others and especially teachers.
Look at all your posts and the posts of all the other right wing fanatics and their regards for teachers.
They are so easy to blame for the misguidance that parents and then to blame the shortcomings of parents actually taking the responsibility of parenting.
Another rightwing tool of hatred for their own failures.

Yeah, there isn't much honor in reprogramming children to be liberal fools to begin with.

We need to "reprogram" our education system to teach family values, like hard work and accountability!

ACTUALLY, I feel that we are in the present predicament because the public educational system FAILED to hold true to the values of the communities they served. As a result the students leave school thinking secularism is normal. there are no absolutes and marriage is whatever one feels like doing. Each generation moves further and further to the left of logic. And what would not be tolerated from a student in 1955 is considered "typical" today.
I do not blame the education institutions --- I blame the government and the Supreme Court for their failure to see that government has no business educating anyone. The public school system was the brainchild of the Community and a joint venture of civic, business and church leadership.

Teaches in the city, and like everyone else... Lives in the suburbs.

Your link was specifically about Buffalo so when you said "her plan covers boob jobs", that was an incorrect statement unless you can provide evidence that NYC also has an insurance plan with the same rider.

While you look for that, I'll provide the average salary of a NYC teacher. You didn't mention how long your "friend" has worked there.

Starting teacher salaries range from $45,530 (bachelor’s degree, no prior teaching experience) to $74,796 (bachelor’s degree, master’s degree plus 30 credits, 7.5+ years teaching experience). Teachers who have a master’s degree but no teaching experience will start at $51,425. With annual increases plus increases for additional coursework, teachers’ salaries will rise to the current maximum of $100,049 per year over time.​

New York City Teacher Salary

In order to get that 100K, you have to have been working for 22 years.

Now, what shall we compare that to? How about a bartender?

A good bartender at the Plaza's Oak Bar can make $50,000 to $70,000 per year including tips; $100,000 isn't unheard of.

And how much education is required for that?

$alaries in the City

The average overall salary in the city is $70K, but your friend is making oodles of money? Really?

Forum List

Back