Why didn't Trump get Paul Whelan out of Russia?

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Trump didn't get him out in 2018, after his imprisonment in Russia.
Trump didn't get him out in 2019.
Trump didn't get him out in 2020.

Why not?

Trump: "I like Putin. I think he likes me." Ok. I definitely believe you, Donald. Why didn't you use that mutual admiration to get a U.S. Marine out of a Russian prison?

Russian spy/Republican operative Maria Butina was sent home from Tallahassee's Federal Detention Center into Vladimir's loving arms to become a member of the Politburo and to be feted as a great patriot of Mother Russia, for hoodwinking the entire Republican Party.

What did Donald Trump get for releasing Maria Butina? Nothing. Why didn't he trade her for Paul Whelan?

Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo refused to directly answer questions about John Bolton’s claim that former President Donald Trump declined the possibility of securing Paul Whelan’s freedom by giving up Viktor Bout for him instead of Brittney Griner years later.

Pompeo Stonewalls Fox’s Bream When Questioned on Bolton’s Claim Trump Admin Refused Bout-Whelan Prisoner Exchange

View on Watch
Fox News’ Shannon Bream interviewed Pompeo on Fox News Sunday, and she started things off with Bolton criticizing the Biden administration’s prisoner exchange last week where they traded Bout, a convicted international arms dealer, for the WNBA star. Some have objected to the prisoner swap by calling it an uneven trade, while others have panned the Biden administration for not freeing Whelan in the deal as well.

At the start of her interview, Bream focused on the fact that as Bolton denounced the Griner-Bout prisoner exchange, he claimed that the Trump White House previously rejected a chance to exchange Bout for Whelan.

“The possibility of a Bout-for-Whelan trade existed back then,” Bolton told CBS, “and it wasn’t made, for very good reasons having to deal with Viktor Bout.”

“Is that true?” Bream asked Pompeo. “And why wasn’t that deal made?”

“I do not want to talk about private conversations we had,” Pompeo replied. “Ambassador Bolton’s free to say whatever he might like, but we were very focused on getting Paul Whelan out, every American back home.”

While Pompeo said he was “glad” to see Griner released from Russian imprisonment, he bashed the Biden administration by claiming the exchange will incentivize hostile nations to take more Americans hostage and force the country into similar future prisoner swaps. Bream stayed on target with her initial question though, asking Pompeo, “is John Bolton telling the truth?”

“I do not want to comment on our internal discussions,” Pompeo stonewalled again. “We were working hard on each of the cases, including Paul Whelan’s case during my time in service…The Trump administration was always very clear: we were not going to trade bad guys for celebrities because it creates the wrong incentives for the bad guys as we go forward. It’s not good for American national security. It’s not good for people who are traveling across the world.”

Watch above via Fox News Sunday.

Why not?

Trump: "I like Putin. I think he likes me." Ok. I definitely believe you, Donald. Why didn't you use that mutual admiration to get a U.S. Marine out of a Russian prison?

Russian spy/Republican operative Maria Butina was sent home from Tallahassee's Federal Detention Center into Vladimir's loving arms to become a member of the Politburo and to be feted as a great patriot of Mother Russia, for hoodwinking the entire Republican Party.

What did Donald Trump get for releasing Maria Butina? Nothing. Why didn't he trade her for Paul Whelan?
It wasn't on his radar at the time. And he was a little busy with all your FALSE ACCUSATIONS and the fires (literal in many cases) that he had to deal with from the commie left

Why not?

So? You're embarrassed your idiot office looks like a fool.

Why aren't other countries also trying to get Whelan freed? Whelan was born in Canada and has citizenship in at least FOUR different countries.

Why not?

and BIden didn't get him out in 2021

and Biden didn't get him out in 2022.

Is that Trumps fault too?

Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo refused to directly answer questions about John Bolton’s claim that former President Donald Trump declined the possibility of securing Paul Whelan’s freedom by giving up Viktor Bout for him instead of Brittney Griner years later.

Pompeo Stonewalls Fox’s Bream When Questioned on Bolton’s Claim Trump Admin Refused Bout-Whelan Prisoner Exchange

View on Watch
Fox News’ Shannon Bream interviewed Pompeo on Fox News Sunday, and she started things off with Bolton criticizing the Biden administration’s prisoner exchange last week where they traded Bout, a convicted international arms dealer, for the WNBA star. Some have objected to the prisoner swap by calling it an uneven trade, while others have panned the Biden administration for not freeing Whelan in the deal as well.

At the start of her interview, Bream focused on the fact that as Bolton denounced the Griner-Bout prisoner exchange, he claimed that the Trump White House previously rejected a chance to exchange Bout for Whelan.

“The possibility of a Bout-for-Whelan trade existed back then,” Bolton told CBS, “and it wasn’t made, for very good reasons having to deal with Viktor Bout.”

“Is that true?” Bream asked Pompeo. “And why wasn’t that deal made?”

“I do not want to talk about private conversations we had,” Pompeo replied. “Ambassador Bolton’s free to say whatever he might like, but we were very focused on getting Paul Whelan out, every American back home.”

While Pompeo said he was “glad” to see Griner released from Russian imprisonment, he bashed the Biden administration by claiming the exchange will incentivize hostile nations to take more Americans hostage and force the country into similar future prisoner swaps. Bream stayed on target with her initial question though, asking Pompeo, “is John Bolton telling the truth?”

“I do not want to comment on our internal discussions,” Pompeo stonewalled again. “We were working hard on each of the cases, including Paul Whelan’s case during my time in service…The Trump administration was always very clear: we were not going to trade bad guys for celebrities because it creates the wrong incentives for the bad guys as we go forward. It’s not good for American national security. It’s not good for people who are traveling across the world.”

Watch above via Fox News Sunday.

You do realize you are posting a thread that makes Trump look good, right?

If Trump had gotten him out in 2018 or 2019 or 2020, there would have been no need for Biden to get him out in 2022.
What about 2021?

and Biden basically traded AL Capone for a jaywalker.

I've got an old rusty bike, with a flat tire.

Care to trade your car for it?

That would make you as smart as Biden.

Last edited:
you are whining because TRUMP didn't, but you're in favor of trading a global arms dealer for a useless TWAT, that hates AMERICA----you are 1 fucked up SCUM demonRAT

Forum List

Back