Why did the "Whites Only" on the outside of a diner bother blacks down south in the 60's??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the fuck would you want to spend money at a place where you are not wanted? Plus why try and force your way into a diner where they can spit in your food?

Seems like the blacks during that era down south was kind of retarded
I agree. Freedom of association is the only logical answer to the problem of so-called racism.

Why the fuck would you want to spend money at a place where you are not wanted? Plus why try and force your way into a diner where they can spit in your food?

It’s not about wanting to eat at the restaurant it’s about the desire for equality. This is not difficult to understand.

I don't need to be accepted and sit next to whites

What? I don’t know how any person wouldn’t feel resentment (if not right away, eventually) at being disallowed to enter an establishment bc of their skin color. Like I already said it’s not about getting chummy with white people it’s about the desire to be accepted as equal. People aren’t conditioned to feel it’s okay for them to be treated as inferior, especially for something of which they have no control over.
Outside of mathematics there is no such thing as equality. Why would anyone let reality upset them?

I do have a lot of respect for the civil rights movement, and here's what I see there. Those black people at theh time were not actually interested in eating in those restaurants and the no blacks allowed signs were just a symptom of the larger situation where they were not being counted as Americans inside their own country.
So by sitting at those counters I think they were saying, if you will not respect me as an American, I will make you respect me. It wasn't really about getting lunch

I agree. Freedom of association is the only logical answer to the problem of so-called racism.

You don't know what freedom of association is.

It’s not about wanting to eat at the restaurant it’s about the desire for equality. This is not difficult to understand.

What? I don’t know how any person wouldn’t feel resentment (if not right away, eventually) at being disallowed to enter an establishment bc of their skin color. Like I already said it’s not about getting chummy with white people it’s about the desire to be accepted as equal. People aren’t conditioned to feel it’s okay for them to be treated as inferior, especially for something of which they have no control over.
Outside of mathematics there is no such thing as equality. Why would anyone let reality upset them?

Because that was not reality.

Apparently FBJ is a youngster. And to him I will say this, whatever comfort you have today that you are able to make the comments you made is due to the blood, sweat and lives of people I saw fighting things your ass can only read about. Those of us who are wise in any race understand that you must always continue fighting for your rights or you will get them taken away.

Ha, oh man, it took me a long time to understand this poster, and his cowboy gun holsters swinging here and there. Careful, you only walk out dead, with smoking barrels, or a beer mug over the head at a high noon saloon. This harkens back then and to today in "social Integration" rather than Segregation, including in the commercial activity the Black community that even today is isolated , on economy, or whatever reason, from the commercial habits or traditions. Also, it wasn't a law that had businesses earning a few extra dollars from a White and Black entrance, both highly enticing and inviting on occasion. Integration should have us all focused together, on these marvelous , capitalistic consumer products.

There are places I prefer not to eat.

pig-organ-soup.jpg

Why's that? That chineseman is literally in love with you, customer. Look into his eyes, to see he loves you. China is known for eating meat by the pound every day, diabetes-producing sweet tea, uh, endless fat indulgent buffets, fortune cookies, what else, you know. Endless Choices. I only eat at China Star, you know , bonnie blue flag it bears a single star, yadda yadda.

Often times in the south blacks were the cooks at restaurants. Whites Only applied to customers....not the help. So more than likely it would be blacks spitting in the food of whites. Kind of like this:

That's where the term "uppity negro" comes from.

I do not believe the average African American cared one way or the other. As per its normal strategy of identity politics, the Democratic Party convinced African Americans they needed to fight to enter whatever white only business, etc. so that black struggle for full equality could be exploited for political gain. That being said, how damned asinine was a business which discriminated in this way? Segregation is a two way street. Myself, I want and expect to be welcomed into any damn business establishment in my America, without petty bullshit getting in my way and ruining my American experience. I am a disciple of the Road Trip. Thus, woe be unto the dumb ass human who would dare put up a sign in their window suggesting I am not welcome to enter, due to some obvious physical feature of mine.

I actually experienced this shit once, after being invited to an American Legion post while on the road. My fiancé is very obviously East Indian and was along with me. So I accepted the invitation and we headed over to the Legion. I used my keycard to get in, so far so good—until a moment after we entered—and all heads turned and all eyes laser beamed at her. Sons of bitches didn't want to serve her. Now, I've been serving my America in uniform for 27 damned years. And this is how they wanted to play it? All because I brought a not very white girl into their hallowed halls? We left, and I thought about kicking in the grills of a couple of cars on the way through the lot, back out to our vehicle but of course, my better half soothed my wrath, as always. That was a not so good day.

Only a complete dolt would ask a question like that

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

You made this post for white acceptance...

You made this post for white acceptance...
Very similar to that male acceptance sought by women supporting Kavanaugh.

I remember in many places throughout the country, by necessity -- black communities had their own banks, airports, businesses, etc -- simply due to the fact they were shut out from the white-owned businesses....then some of those communities got burned down to the ground and in some cases bombs dropped on them by the government -- aside from that, I think we should re-institute segregation and hopefully this time it will work out better.....NOT

Last edited:
that's right , I purposefully go to every Black Fraternity meeting , for the HECK of it. Gonna sit at The Welcome Table. Gonna sit at The Welcome Table.What were the first TV images of America by the way, you guys remember ,that guy landed on the moon, that white teenager sort of shoved that black one, aw man I remember that. We're having technical difficulties here at Channel 3, I'm Tom Brokaw.

Biff where is this really weird sounding interaction anywhere? Hmmmm a Negro, I can't Handle this transaction, gotta go eat back in the Kitchin'. whatever. all I know is signs like no robbers, I mean whites only. Segregation is Government I've been trying to say, like Strom Thurmond saying all the army rifles aren't going to be able to force Churches to integrate together? That the Schools in government extension, aren't forced to Integrate? Besides, how well has it served TV society to have Token Integration Black Man on TV Al Roker going to give you a hug, and his 40 million buddies, hows it in your neck of the woods. i'm looking out for me.

Last edited:
Everyone should have a right to eat where they please.

but if the place doesn't want a certain why not go elsewhere? Why beg someone who doesn't like u to take your money
It was more about making whites uncomfortable so Jim Crow could be dismantled. The problem is that a lot of Blacks decided later that giving their money to whites that didnt want their business was ok. They were trying to assimilate instead of keeping the Black dollar in the Black community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back