Why did prosecutors sit on a Palestinian boy's killing for 14 months?

Alfalfa

Rookie
Sep 6, 2013
Why did prosecutors sit on a Palestinian boy?s killing for 14 months? | +972 Magazine

Yusuf Fahri Mussa Ahleil, aged 16, was shot and killed on January 28, 2011, probably by a settler. The state took 14 months to appoint a prosecutor to the case.

On January 28, 2011, something happened in the village of Beit Ummar in the Hebron region. Testimonies we collected describe an assault by Israeli civilians from two different directions simultaneously. Both incidents involved shooting; the second one ended in death. Witnesses described a large group of Israeli civilians raiding the village, among whom three fired at the Palestinians using weapons, likely M-16 assault rifles. According to one of the witnesses, the Israelis were conducting some sort of ceremony, blew a shofar, and then opened fire. The witnesses agree that no military troops were present and that they arrived only after the shooting.

Yusuf was shot in the head, and died.

The prosecution is entrusted, since Israel controls the Occupied Palestinian Territories, with protecting its residents from violence. When they are the victims of theft, it ought to bring the thief to justice. When they are killed, its duty is to bring justice to the dead.
The case of Yusuf Fahri Mussa Alhleil shows us how seriously the prosecution takes this duty. It removes another thin layer of the already crumbling patina of the claim that there is something you may refer to with a straight face as “rule of law” in the West Bank. Where the rule of law is absent, what we see is the law of nature, where the strong rule over the weak. The point of our social contract with the government is to overcome nature’s law, under which, to quote Hobbes, life is “nasty, brutish and short.” In the most gentle words possible, in Yusuf’s case – and, unfortunately, in far too many others – the prosecution has betrayed the social contract.

The result is that there is the father who waits in vain for his son to return to him in the field, and killers who know that nothing will happen to them if they kill once again.

A good chronicle of legally what faces a palistinian family when their children are murdered by israeli settlers in OZreal.

probably by a settler.

After reading that I will wait to see the official account of what occurred.....:doubt:

Well it's been 2 years already...might as well get comfortable.

Rather nothing than speculative nonsense. There are crimes that go unsolved all over the world. Based on the drivel cited in the OP I would not be surprised to see that "settlers" are blamed for those crimes as well.

• Banned
After reading that I will wait to see the official account of what occurred.....:doubt:

Well it's been 2 years already...might as well get comfortable.

Rather nothing than speculative nonsense. There are crimes that go unsolved all over the world. Based on the drivel cited in the OP I would not be surprised to see that "settlers" are blamed for those crimes as well.

I'm interested in what your definition is of "speculative nonsense".

Forum List

Back