Why Did I Have To Learn So Many Useless Things In School?

My beloved father - may he rest in peace - was forced to drop out of high school when he was 14 years old, to work in a butcher shop and help support the family (my grandfather had abandoned them several years earlier). He went to night school for several years to finally get his high school diploma (GED's didn't exist at the time). The things he learned to get that credential, which was meaningful at the time, were many times more rigorous than what is taught now.

The public school teachers' unions - a group that is profoundly unsuccessful in teaching the so-called "Three R's" - is keen to teach CRT, which has no value whatsoever.

Perhaps the whole CRT thing is part of a campaign to reduce the infamous "performance gap" between the races in math and reading. If the category of "Oppression" is added to future evaluations, the BIPOC's will surely score higher than white kids.

Success!
The three R's- reading, writing and arithmetic, hmm two of the three do not start with an "R", I always thought that promotional crap is just that, crap. Prove that CRT is taught in public schools, oh that's right you can't because you lie, a lot, hell of a way to prove what that hard education taught you as a human.

School should teach reading, math, science and history. It should also teach people how to get along with each other and how to think and reason.

Our school systems in many cities are failing to do the above and that will cost this nation severely in the future.

Here is a test from long ago when teachers actually taught and students learned or failed. Back in those days there was discipline in school.

Keep in mind in those days students didn’t have multiple guess tests. They wrote out the answers to the questions in long hand.

View attachment 523511
My youngest just graduated last year from high school and the things they taught in 1912 is the same thing he was taught in 2020 and it was the same thing taught to me in 1979.

School should teach reading, math, science and history. It should also teach people how to get along with each other and how to think and reason.

Our school systems in many cities are failing to do the above and that will cost this nation severely in the future.

Here is a test from long ago when teachers actually taught and students learned or failed. Back in those days there was discipline in school.

Keep in mind in those days students didn’t have multiple guess tests. They wrote out the answers to the questions in long hand.

View attachment 523511
I taught in this school district for my last year. The population of the county in 1910 was about 9500 people. How many students were in the eighth grade?

In education, we moved a away from useless trivia and taught actual analyzation of the material. Can you describe the battle of Quebec? I can't and I have a history degree. Why would you sketch Sir Walter Raleigh or Peter Stuyvesant Some of those battles in History #4 were irrelevant and trivial in nature as I only recognize a few of them. History question #9 is now irrelevant. History question #10 are nice to know pieces of information. When was the last time you sent a telegram, used a cotton gin, used a sewing machine, and played a phonograph?

Trivia is all that crap is now.

There is the problem! History is social studies. Most people do not get that little tidbit of education.

Well yeah, but I'm talking about the fact that we learned about them in social studies class not history. I'm talking about the specific classes.

I taught in this school district for my last year. The population of the county in 1910 was about 9500 people. How many students were in the eighth grade?

In education, we moved a away from useless trivia and taught actual analyzation of the material. Can you describe the battle of Quebec? I can't and I have a history degree. Why would you sketch Sir Walter Raleigh or Peter Stuyvesant Some of those battles in History #4 were irrelevant and trivial in nature as I only recognize a few of them. History question #9 is now irrelevant. History question #10 are nice to know pieces of information. When was the last time you sent a telegram, used a cotton gin, used a sewing machine, and played a phonograph?

Trivia is all that crap is now.
The point is that school back then was more difficult than today. One example is at that time there were no multiple guess questions. The student had to know the answer and often his reply had to use correct grammar.

Sure, many of the questions are irrelevant today but more relevant questions could be used If we wanted to create an updated test.

The students that took that test were not more intelligent than students today but the ones that graduated high school back then were overall much better educated for their times than high school grads are today.

Unfortunately it looks to me like things are not going to improve.

1636650093752.jpeg

My youngest just graduated last year from high school and the things they taught in 1912 is the same thing he was taught in 2020 and it was the same thing taught to me in 1979.
So your son must not have had any history classes. A lot has happened since 1912. If nothing else two world wars and men landing on the moon.

Really, did you need a school to teach you that?
If students are not taught about world wars the chances of us having ianother increase. We should learn from history, not ignore it and repeat the same mistakes again and again. Of course the history being taught must be accurate and not a whitewashed version or an inaccurate politically motivated version.

Students should also have to take a good Civics class. Far too many high school grads today have no idea how their government works.

Well yeah, but I'm talking about the fact that we learned about them in social studies class not history. I'm talking about the specific classes.
Your learning disability must be extensive, as you cannot read. History is a social study. I was a history major in college, but technically a social studies teacher in my state because there are no history teacher certifications. I taught government, economics, and geography also.

Your learning disability must be extensive, as you cannot read. History is a social study. I was a history major in college, but technically a social studies teacher in my state because there are no history teacher certifications. I taught government, economics, and geography also.

Yes I can read perfectly fine, I'm just telling you what we were taught under which classes. It's the way our school(s) were run.

1. Yes but I'm currently working on getting a job. (I still graduated high school just so you know.)
2. Nope, not broke I have SSI.
3. Nope!

It should be.

Well if something ever comes up Google is your friend.

I never went to college,.. why waste my time with more school (that I hate) when I can get a job anyways?

You and DanielPalos. Talk to him. He can tell you all about equality.

Forum List

Back