Why Can't the Public See Obama's Proposed Internet Regulations?

The GOP game plan on net neutrality - Alex Byers - POLITICO

The GOP game plan on net neutrality
Republicans are pursuing a strategy of investigation, legislation and complaining about the FCC making policy behind closed doors.

And heres the thing Peach. The GOP wants the cable companies to be able to have pay for play "lanes". Which would change the way you currently get your Internet.

Don't believe me. Go ahead and ask any of them anywhere. And they wont say they are FOR pay for play but what they will say is "What is wrong with paying for using bandwidth?" or some other rhetorical question.

Yes which the people do not want and why their bills have gone nowhere.

Exactly!! But Mark Lee and republicans want it and are against Net Neutrality which only means to keep the Internet the way it is now.

This is the Dept. doing it where we the people can't do anything at all about it.
It is unconstitutional for a Dept. to write expansion proposals from a previous bill passed by congress and they themselves vote on it.

Well ok...Thats an aside to my issue with Mark Lee's whining.

That's Mike Lee not Mark.
FCC is doing this knowing that it will go to court eventually but gives them 2 or 3 years to get control over the net (their foot in the door so to speak)
They know that the GOP has no backbone and will not do anything other than whine and just let the Supreme Court rule on it.

Government should not be doing it.
We the people should. If a customer does not like the way the Internet companies are doing things then you don't choose to be a customer.
New companies will rise and offer what we the customers wants.
The FCC should stay out of it.

I don't see any reason on earth to leave this in the hands of the cable companies. They will rape more than ever and since the competition is scarce you can go with them or go with them.

Before you even start yes there is technically competition but not real competition in any sense of the word. It'll be like Mike Jordan "competing" with some kid in a wheelchair. Technically it is competition but...

What part of we the customers control companies are you not getting?

That sounds good but its sounds better than the reality reflects.

The companies do not control us.

No they dont....Are we still on the topic of hiding bills?

There is plenty of internet services out there other than cable.

Yes, and there are plenty of wheelchair bound kids who would love to compete with Jordan too.

It is the Cable services who wants this government control because they do have more competition and are starting to die out. Their stocks are falling and their prices are outrageous.
Are Cable Companies in Trouble - GuruFocus.com

The bolded is a flat out lie. So I have a question for you. Is the cable services wanting it a bad thing as you suggest? What if I could show you the cable companies DO NOT WANT THIS AT ALL. Would that be an indication of whether Net Neutrality is being bad or good also?

Because they are spending a ton of money OPPOSING this.

Yes which the people do not want and why their bills have gone nowhere.

Exactly!! But Mark Lee and republicans want it and are against Net Neutrality which only means to keep the Internet the way it is now.

This is the Dept. doing it where we the people can't do anything at all about it.
It is unconstitutional for a Dept. to write expansion proposals from a previous bill passed by congress and they themselves vote on it.

FCC is doing this knowing that it will go to court eventually but gives them 2 or 3 years to get control over the net (their foot in the door so to speak)
They know that the GOP has no backbone and will not do anything other than whine and just let the Supreme Court rule on it.

We the people should. If a customer does not like the way the Internet companies are doing things then you don't choose to be a customer.

I don't see any reason on earth to leave this in the hands of the cable companies. They will rape more than ever and since the competition is scarce you can go with them or go with them.

Before you even start yes there is technically competition but not real competition in any sense of the word. It'll be like Mike Jordan "competing" with some kid in a wheelchair. Technically it is competition but...

Yes, and there are plenty of wheelchair bound kids who would love to compete with Jordan too.

It is the Cable services who wants this government control because they do have more competition and are starting to die out. Their stocks are falling and their prices are outrageous.

The bolded is a flat out lie. So I have a question for you. Is the cable services wanting it a bad thing as you suggest? What if I could show you the cable companies DO NOT WANT THIS AT ALL. Would that be an indication of whether Net Neutrality is being bad or good also?

Free Press calls the chairmen's proposal a "toothless" effort that "give just about everything to giant phone and cable companies, and leave Internet users with almost nothing."
Free Press Floods FCC With Net Neutrality Petitions Broadcasting Cable

Do you know the name of that bill? Did Mark Lee ever say?

The FCC has written the bill not congress.
It is NOT a law!
It is a regulation being proposed by government bureaucrats waiting approval by the FCC commissioners.
Some members of Congress have introduced legislation to try to stop this government takeover of the internet. If you want to know what. go to GovTrack.us.

Free Press calls the chairmen's proposal a "toothless" effort that "give just about everything to giant phone and cable companies, and leave Internet users with almost nothing."

Sorry I don't know why there is a line through there.

Do you know the name of that bill? Did Mark Lee ever say?

The FCC has written the bill not congress.
It is NOT a law!
It is a regulation being proposed by government bureaucrats waiting approval by the FCC commissioners.
Some members of Congress have introduced legislation to try to stop this government takeover of the internet. If you want to know what. go to GovTrack.us.

I never said it was.

He can call it anything he likes but the fact is that the Cable companies are against it. You suggested that the cable companies support suggested something nefarious was going on. Now that you know they DO NOT SUPPORT it do you still think that?

He can call it anything he likes but the fact is that the Cable companies are against it. You suggested that the cable companies support suggested something nefarious was going on. Now that you know they DO NOT SUPPORT it do you still think that?

Then why did their stocks rise when the FCC proposed the net neutrality.
Cable shares rise on net neutrality proposal - Yahoo Finance
Share of cable providers jumped on Wednesday, before giving up some of the gains, after the Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler outlined his proposal for "net neutrality" regulations in the greatest detail yet.
Cable companies were caught hireing fake protestors.
Net Neutrality Kabuki Theater How Cable Companies Dominate the Debate VICE United States
The claim by the MSNBC ad that Comcast not only supports net neutrality, but that its merger with Time Warner Cable would somehow enhance such protections, is odd. In May, Comcast filed a letter to the FCC explicitly opposing the effort to reclassify broadband services under Title II regulations. And for years, Comcast has battled net neutrality. But the feel-good ad, which builds on a Comcast marketing campaign that began in April, creates a blanket deception to hoodwink viewers about both the merger and the company’s position on the open Internet.

So on paper, the FCC is supposed to protect the interests of consumers and the general public. But the ISP lobby has transformed the entire net neutrality process into a kabuki theater of sorts, one in which the stage of policymaking appears to be open and honest, but all the main actors are playing from a familiar, industry-written script.

What? I dont even know what that is supposed to mean and I seriously doubt you can explain it. If true, so what?

Share of cable providers jumped on Wednesday, before giving up some of the gains, after the Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler outlined his proposal for "net neutrality" regulations in the greatest detail yet.

Protestors what were they protesting if they are FOR IT?

Net Neutrality Kabuki Theater How Cable Companies Dominate the Debate VICE United States
The claim by the MSNBC ad that Comcast not only supports net neutrality, but that its merger with Time Warner Cable would somehow enhance such protections, is odd. In May, Comcast filed a letter to the FCC explicitly opposing the effort to reclassify broadband services under Title II regulations. And for years, Comcast has battled net neutrality. But the feel-good ad, which builds on a Comcast marketing campaign that began in April, creates a blanket deception to hoodwink viewers about both the merger and the company’s position on the open Internet.

Just like I've been telling you....

So on paper, the FCC is supposed to protect the interests of consumers and the general public. But the ISP lobby has transformed the entire net neutrality process into a kabuki theater of sorts, one in which the stage of policymaking appears to be open and honest, but all the main actors are playing from a familiar, industry-written script.

The links you just posted directly counters this paragraph

Te letter from Comcast starts like this:

Comcast has been a strong proponent of Internet openness, and, indeed, is the only broadband provider subject to a legally binding obligation to refrain from blocking consumers’ access to lawful web content and services or from engaging in unreasonably discriminatory conduct.1

THIS IS THE ISSUE. See the word blocking? See the words "unreasonably discriminatory conduct"? This is what the supporters for net neutrality are fighting. They dont want the cable companies being able to discriminate.

Second part

we believe that any proposal by the FCC to reclassify broadband Internet access as a telecommunications service subject to Title II of the Communications Act would be a destabilizing and counterproductive means of pursuing those important objectives.

There is the cable companies OPPOSING IT. NOT SUPPORTING IT. Just like I said

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7521122413

What? I dont even know what that is supposed to mean and I seriously doubt you can explain it. If true, so what?

Protestors what were they protesting if they are FOR IT?

Just like I've been telling you....

The links you just posted directly counters this paragraph

The links I posted say they are for it.
Publically they say they are against it but behind closed doors they are for it because it helps them. It is exactly why their stocks rose when the FCC announced their regulations.
You are ignoring this;
MSNBC ad that Comcast not only supports net neutrality.

Last edited:

No they dont...please quote the supporting language
publically they say they are against it but behind closed doors they are for it because it helps them. It is exactly why their stocks rose when the FCC announced their regulations.

But you just said your links they are for it? Then you say they are publically against it but secretly want it and you know this because they never say it?

You are ignoring this;

Yes I am until you tell me what that has to do with anything I will continue to ignore random statements

No they dont...please quote the supporting language
publically they say they are against it but behind closed doors they are for it because it helps them. It is exactly why their stocks rose when the FCC announced their regulations.

But you just said your links they are for it? Then you say they are publically against it but secretly want it and you know this because they never say it?

You are ignoring this;

Yes I am until you tell me what that has to do with anything I will continue to ignore random statements

You said that the cable networks are against the FCC net neutrality.
I am showing you why they are for it and an ad that says they are for it.

Just another tax on an already over-taxed population

It's far more than that, it is controlling what information is allowed to the public. The internet is the worst thing that ever happened to big government. The left is desperate to put the brakes on the free exchange of information. Net Neutrality is a first step, allowing the FCC to regulate content.

Oh they are for it? Ok

Publically they say they are against

Wait, they against it? Ok

but behind closed doors they are for it because it helps them

So they are for it again they just dont tell nobody...but you know?

You would know too if you did some research on it.
They have always been for it.
They are lying to us the people when they say they are against it.

Oh they are for it? Ok

Then show me!!! You've only shown links that counter your assertion that they really want it. Remember I didnt post those links, you did. And since you did so much research show me those backroom docs, quotes, or anything that supports your assertions

Oh they are for it? Ok

Then show me!!! You've only shown links that counter your assertion that they really want it. Remember I didnt post those links, you did. And since you did so much research show me those backroom docs, quotes, or anything that supports your assertions

Their own ad says it.
What more do you want?
Comcast Time Warner Cable Transaction Information
Together, Comcast and Time Warner Cable will make life online better for more people by bringing faster Internet speeds, a more reliable and more secure network, net neutrality protection, low-cost Internet access, and programming diversity to millions of new customers across the country.

Oh they are for it? Ok

Their own ad says it.
What more do you want?
Comcast Time Warner Cable Transaction Information
Together, Comcast and Time Warner Cable will make life online better for more people by bringing faster Internet speeds, a more reliable and more secure network, net neutrality protection, low-cost Internet access, and programming diversity to millions of new customers across the country.

So they dont support it publicly but they do suppport it publicly?

Come on....It says net neutrality protection...never mind this is pointless

Forum List

Back