Why are so many afraid of guns?

anyone who doesnt fear a gun is an idiot.

Guns can kill in a split second.

Do you fear this?
stock-photo-glass-of-whiskey-scotch-or-bourbon-on-the-rocks-placed-on-top-of-a-wooden-bar-with-black-48465934.jpg

because there is a much greater chance that it will kill you than there is any gun.

I fear its effects just like I fear teh effects of a gun.

Fear is a great motivator and unlike some idiots think it is not equal with being paralyzed to action.

I just dropped membership in a hunting/shooting club this past year.
It got overrun with the they're going to take our guns away right wingers. They tried to make NRA membership a condition of membership in the club and started saying the pledge and a prayer before meetings and quoting Beck and running down Obama.

It was a nice place before politics moved in.

Ohh well what should one expect from a club that still will not allow women members.

I'm done with the NRA. They absolutely suck now. All politics and lies, just to line their own pockets.

Check out Gun Owners of America. They have it right, and are what the NRA used to be.

I think that is the bunch that sent me lots of envelopes maked survey and inside was GOA membership papers and vote for Rand Paul stuff.

I belonged to the NRA when I was a teen, it was a different organization back then.

Not according to what I just read. You are not required to do a background check unless you are licensed.

The second loophole exist at gun shows and other private transactions. Background check laws do not extend to private sales, so sellers not licensed by the federal government are not required to make such checks

Read more: About Buying a Gun & Background Searches | eHow.com About Buying a Gun & Background Searches | eHow.com

It seems pretty easy to get one even if you're a nutbar.

Requiring all shows to be 4473'd would solve the show problem.

There is no way around true private transactions, unless you want to take away citizen's rights to ownership. And even in a private transaction, if you place a gun in the hand of a restricted person, you have committed a felony. (The private seller is as responsible as a dealer for keeping guns out of the hands of restricted people).

Not according to what I just read. You are not required to do a background check unless you are licensed.

The second loophole exist at gun shows and other private transactions. Background check laws do not extend to private sales, so sellers not licensed by the federal government are not required to make such checks

Read more: About Buying a Gun & Background Searches | eHow.com About Buying a Gun & Background Searches | eHow.com

There is no way around true private transactions, unless you want to take away citizen's rights to ownership. And even in a private transaction, if you place a gun in the hand of a restricted person, you have committed a felony. (The private seller is as responsible as a dealer for keeping guns out of the hands of restricted people).

This has been a problem for years, wonder why they just don't do that. It wouldn't solve everything but it would help some.

I just dropped membership in a hunting/shooting club this past year.
It got overrun with the they're going to take our guns away right wingers. They tried to make NRA membership a condition of membership in the club and started saying the pledge and a prayer before meetings and quoting Beck and running down Obama.

It was a nice place before politics moved in.

Ohh well what should one expect from a club that still will not allow women members.

I'm done with the NRA. They absolutely suck now. All politics and lies, just to line their own pockets.

Check out Gun Owners of America. They have it right, and are what the NRA used to be.

I think that is the bunch that sent me lots of envelopes maked survey and inside was GOA membership papers and vote for Rand Paul stuff.

I belonged to the NRA when I was a teen, it was a different organization back then.

Yes it was. To me, the GoA is now what the NRA used to be. They are a grassroots organization, and they do not solicit 24/7, spending 90% of what they raise on the effort to raise it, as the NRA does.

The NRA is dead to me. There is absolutely no benefit to membership that I can find anymore. They have really gone down the tubes the past few years.

Do you fear this?
stock-photo-glass-of-whiskey-scotch-or-bourbon-on-the-rocks-placed-on-top-of-a-wooden-bar-with-black-48465934.jpg

because there is a much greater chance that it will kill you than there is any gun.

Well I have been mugged at gun point, had my home invaded by guys with guns, got shot at a few times, and have been to funerals of several friends I lost to gun violence.

None of the guys were holding drinks.

This has been a problem for years, wonder why they just don't do that. It wouldn't solve everything but it would help some.

Dealers are starting to get behind this, so I suspect it will happen in the next 2-5 years. "Good" dealers have taken a beating at the hands of the "shady" dealers, so we are starting to police ourselves (in cooperation with the ATF).

2 local dealers lost their licenses here last year, and it was directly due to other dealers turning them over to ATF for illegal sales. Sounds cutthroat, but it isn't. One bad dealer gives ALL of us a bad name.

Do you fear this?

Well I have been mugged at gun point, had my home invaded by guys with guns, got shot at a few times, and have been to funerals of several friends I lost to gun violence.

Your personal experience doesn't change the reality that you are 4 times more likely to be killed by alcohol than by a firearm.

Sounds to me like you REALLY need to move to a better neighborhood?

Do you fear this?

Your personal experience doesn't change the reality that you are 4 times more likely to be killed by alcohol than by a firearm.

Things got much better since the tough guns laws.

Dealers are starting to get behind this, so I suspect it will happen in the next 2-5 years. "Good" dealers have taken a beating at the hands of the "shady" dealers, so we are starting to police ourselves (in cooperation with the ATF).

2 local dealers lost their licenses here last year, and it was directly due to other dealers turning them over to ATF for illegal sales. Sounds cutthroat, but it isn't. One bad dealer gives ALL of us a bad name.

That's hopeful. I learned how to shoot years ago when there was some gun violence against a family member. She is ok but it really makes you think and take action.

There are those who really aren't ok owning a gun.

Many anti gun activists seem to think that gun ownership is a disease, to be eradicated. :cuckoo:

It is a Constitutional right, and no amount of projection will eradicate that right.

"From our cold dead hands" :cool:

I agree completely that there are those who should not be allowed to own guns, but who still legally are. As a licensee, it is completely at my discretion as to whether or not I sell you a gun. We average probably 2 refusals each week where we aren't comfortable with the person, and we therefore refuse to sell them a gun or even perform a background check. The background check wouldn't matter. If I don't want you to have a gun, for whatever reason, I'm not going to sell you one. Those folks are perfectly free to go elsewhere and find someone who will sell to them.

The problem is that they usually do :(

Things got much better since the tough guns laws.

LOL. Sure they have.

For the criminals, at least. :)

Many anti gun activists seem to think that gun ownership is a disease, to be eradicated. :cuckoo:

It is a Constitutional right, and no amount of projection will eradicate that right.

Ok, Boehner.. :lol:

:woohoo: love that tough talk.

guns are what they are. but i sure as heck want to know who's owning them and that criminals and crazy people aren't allowed to get them.

It's a collective constitutional right..not an indivdual one. It's been perverted beyond original intent.

It's a collective constitutional right..not an indivdual one. It's been perverted beyond original intent.

According to you.

I was very upset with the NRA for withholding an endorsement for Harry Reid.

I opposed Reid's re-election, but he has always been a friend to gun owners.

That said, I renewed by membership for 3 more years...because they get the job done.

The Heller decision establishing the 2nd Amendment as an individual right in 2008 was a huge win for gun owners...and that wouldn't have happened without the NRA.

:woohoo: love that tough talk.

guns are what they are. but i sure as heck want to know who's owning them and that criminals and crazy people aren't allowed to get them.

It is actually that simple, no need to complicate the issue, there are laws in place to keep guns out of the hands of the crazies. That is important, and I am glad they are in place.

But I will also say that many people do not want the government to even know that they own a gun, is that a violation of privacy, to Americans that want to protect themselves?

The police is not actually there to protect,per se they are basically there to solve any crime that has been already been perpetrated against you.

I see gun ownership as a right for me to protect myself and my family.

Forum List

Back