Why Are All Black People...?

Have you ever been exposed to any stereotypes? Together we can abolish them.

• Yes, but I am neither black or white.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, and I am white.

• No, but I am neither black or white.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First off, I'd like to thank anyone who actually decides to read all of this. I think this gives a bit of enlightenment on America's current situation from someone with color. I have not been directly affected by the events taking place across the nation, but the negativity going around has definitely has taken a toll. Here's what it is like to be me as a black person, and my general opinion on the things going on currently.

You don't know how many people have stereotypes about my personality before they even meet me just because I'm black. I'd like to disprove a few stereotypes that I've been exposed to over the years:

1) "All black people are loud and obnoxious." I am actually very bashful and soft-spoken. I find it difficult to start conversations with other people because I'm so socially awkward sometimes. A teacher has never reprimanded me for being too loud. In fact, teachers have occasionally scolded me for being too quiet during oral presentations and group projects. A lot of people come up to me and expect me to have a ton of things to say, but they are disappointed when I hardly say anything at all.

2) "All black people are stupid." Actually I have straight A's, all honors and AP classes, and I am in the top 2% of my class. I'd like to think I am intelligent *wink wink*.

3) "All black people wear weave/ have short hair." My hair, when straightened, goes down to the middle of my back. Many people ask if they can feel my hair (so they can check for tracks). I used get annoyed by it, but it doesn't bother me so much anymore. People also assume that I am mixed because of it, which as far as I know, I am mostly black. I know some of my great grandparents were Arab, Dutch, and Native American though.

4) "Black people are easily offended." I can't speak for everyone, but I like dark humor and I don't really mind comedy sketches regarding black culture. Unless someone is directly attacking me, I don't see a reason to cause a riot over what was supposed to be a joke.

5) "Black people all listen to rap and hip hop." This one actually pisses me off. My own father (yes I have a both of my biological parents, what a surprise) even criticizes me because I don't really listen to rap. I prefer indie and alternative rock, new retrowave music, and even a bit of metal if I'm in the right mood. Music is not classified by race, and everyone can have a preference without "trying to be someone they're not". I will admit that growing up in mostly white schools could have influenced me, but so did my sister and she likes rap just fine. It's all bullshit to me, and that's why I think these stereotypes exist. It is just like a white girl being harassed because she only listens to rap, and everyone thinking she's trying to be black.

6) "Black people are a threat to society. They are criminals." Just because a small percentage of black people decide to become criminals, does not mean all are. Do you want to know who the real criminals are? People that commit crimes. I know statistics say this or that, but keep in mind, the prison population only represents a small portion of this nation, and environmental factors heavily influence these numbers, which makes a difference in such a small data sample.

This is just me speaking from the perspective of an African American 15 year old girl. I don't see color, and my friends come in all shades. Many people say I'm an "Oreo", or that I'm trying to neglect who I am as a black person. To me, I see it as my personality, and I never once thought of these characteristics as non-black specific. It sickens me that even my own father can't learn to accept that not all black people have to act the same way to be considered truly black.

As for my opinions about the "race war" currently going on here, it is not up to one person to change the direction we are heading, when the steering wheel weighs 30 tons. While I agree that a person with power, or a leader of some sort would be helpful, that is not going to fully change things. People with hatred are always going to have the loudest voice until we stand united, unable to be penetrated. That's why it takes everyone's help.

My advice is to try to have an equal amount of friends in every race, even if it means going out of your comfort zone. You may be surprised by the things you may learn. I've learned a lot from my white friends, and even if we disagree, it always makes a fun and healthy debate. You can't say you know something about a group of people by judging from a mile away, or just because you met one or two out of millions. Nor can you try to help a group of people if you don't even have a friend from that group to help. This can be said about any race. I also suggest that you look up the official procedure for getting pulled over by the police and when it is appropriate for a police officer to use a weapon in your state/county. If you ever get pulled over, have that in mind.

Finally, and most importantly, ignore those that only speak in the form of hatred. There is no reason to be hateful towards someone you don't even know, and those types of people are making a choice: to remain ignorant. They don't want to learn, and are only trying to further their agenda by attempting to cause a scene. People who want to learn/inform are respectful and polite about their opinions. Know the difference. Also, proving someone wrong with insults or by blaming another race is unnecessary, doesn't resolve anything, and makes you look just as bad. It will be an endless cycle. Get your voice everywhere. Don't just post on one place, post on every social media platform, forum, and comments section. Thank you and I hope this helped.
I think the biggest problem in the black community is fatherless kids. You and I can thank our dads for us turning alright.

Do you live in a ghetto? Bet there aren't a lot of blacks in Detroit like you. Although I dated a black girl who liked bon jovi

First off, I'd like to thank anyone who actually decides to read all of this. I think this gives a bit of enlightenment on America's current situation from someone with color. I have not been directly affected by the events taking place across the nation, but the negativity going around has definitely has taken a toll. Here's what it is like to be me as a black person, and my general opinion on the things going on currently.

You don't know how many people have stereotypes about my personality before they even meet me just because I'm black. I'd like to disprove a few stereotypes that I've been exposed to over the years:

1) "All black people are loud and obnoxious." I am actually very bashful and soft-spoken. I find it difficult to start conversations with other people because I'm so socially awkward sometimes. A teacher has never reprimanded me for being too loud. In fact, teachers have occasionally scolded me for being too quiet during oral presentations and group projects. A lot of people come up to me and expect me to have a ton of things to say, but they are disappointed when I hardly say anything at all.

2) "All black people are stupid." Actually I have straight A's, all honors and AP classes, and I am in the top 2% of my class. I'd like to think I am intelligent *wink wink*.

3) "All black people wear weave/ have short hair." My hair, when straightened, goes down to the middle of my back. Many people ask if they can feel my hair (so they can check for tracks). I used get annoyed by it, but it doesn't bother me so much anymore. People also assume that I am mixed because of it, which as far as I know, I am mostly black. I know some of my great grandparents were Arab, Dutch, and Native American though.

4) "Black people are easily offended." I can't speak for everyone, but I like dark humor and I don't really mind comedy sketches regarding black culture. Unless someone is directly attacking me, I don't see a reason to cause a riot over what was supposed to be a joke.

5) "Black people all listen to rap and hip hop." This one actually pisses me off. My own father (yes I have a both of my biological parents, what a surprise) even criticizes me because I don't really listen to rap. I prefer indie and alternative rock, new retrowave music, and even a bit of metal if I'm in the right mood. Music is not classified by race, and everyone can have a preference without "trying to be someone they're not". I will admit that growing up in mostly white schools could have influenced me, but so did my sister and she likes rap just fine. It's all bullshit to me, and that's why I think these stereotypes exist. It is just like a white girl being harassed because she only listens to rap, and everyone thinking she's trying to be black.

6) "Black people are a threat to society. They are criminals." Just because a small percentage of black people decide to become criminals, does not mean all are. Do you want to know who the real criminals are? People that commit crimes. I know statistics say this or that, but keep in mind, the prison population only represents a small portion of this nation, and environmental factors heavily influence these numbers, which makes a difference in such a small data sample.

This is just me speaking from the perspective of an African American 15 year old girl. I don't see color, and my friends come in all shades. Many people say I'm an "Oreo", or that I'm trying to neglect who I am as a black person. To me, I see it as my personality, and I never once thought of these characteristics as non-black specific. It sickens me that even my own father can't learn to accept that not all black people have to act the same way to be considered truly black.

As for my opinions about the "race war" currently going on here, it is not up to one person to change the direction we are heading, when the steering wheel weighs 30 tons. While I agree that a person with power, or a leader of some sort would be helpful, that is not going to fully change things. People with hatred are always going to have the loudest voice until we stand united, unable to be penetrated. That's why it takes everyone's help.

My advice is to try to have an equal amount of friends in every race, even if it means going out of your comfort zone. You may be surprised by the things you may learn. I've learned a lot from my white friends, and even if we disagree, it always makes a fun and healthy debate. You can't say you know something about a group of people by judging from a mile away, or just because you met one or two out of millions. Nor can you try to help a group of people if you don't even have a friend from that group to help. This can be said about any race. I also suggest that you look up the official procedure for getting pulled over by the police and when it is appropriate for a police officer to use a weapon in your state/county. If you ever get pulled over, have that in mind.

Finally, and most importantly, ignore those that only speak in the form of hatred. There is no reason to be hateful towards someone you don't even know, and those types of people are making a choice: to remain ignorant. They don't want to learn, and are only trying to further their agenda by attempting to cause a scene. People who want to learn/inform are respectful and polite about their opinions. Know the difference. Also, proving someone wrong with insults or by blaming another race is unnecessary, doesn't resolve anything, and makes you look just as bad. It will be an endless cycle. Get your voice everywhere. Don't just post on one place, post on every social media platform, forum, and comments section. Thank you and I hope this helped.
I think the biggest problem in the black community is fatherless kids. You and I can thank our dads for us turning alright.

Do you live in a ghetto? Bet there aren't a lot of blacks in Detroit like you. Although I dated a black girl who liked bon jovi

Also, are you a Republican? Why not?

I'm glad you see the humor. I'm trying to keep this light because so often these conversations turn angry. My point is you are assuming non black people look at you with preconceived stereo types. In saying that, you yourself are stereo typing non black people. We all have to approach each other without assumptions. It seems to me that after we are done discussing all our issues about how we've been treated, we'd best go about the business of simply treating each other Golden Rule style. A place to begin might be for all of us to identify ourselves as Americans or humans or people rather than by what color our skin happens to be.
The instinct to stereotype is just that...an instinct. Without it your ancestors would not have survived because they would have been killed by a saber toothed tiger you couldnt tell was a danger to you.
People instinctively gather with people who whom they have something in common, sure. That is hardly in the same category as the instinct not to pet a sabor tooth tiger.
What people have in common is subject to interpretation and importance. All people are people so there should be no racism but there is. Its not instinct to not pet a saber toothed tiger. What is instinctive is the learned behavior which is the cause of racism.
First you equated the instinct to stereotype to the instinct to avoid a tiger. Now you equate instinct to learned behavior. Make up your mind.
You obviously confused yourself. I said stereotyping was an instinct. I never said there was an instinct to avoid a tiger. The stereotyping of the tiger is the instinctive response based on what you learn about the tiger. If you grew up with tigers you wouldnt have a bad stereotype about them and avoid them. You would have a good stereotype. Either way its the stereotyping thats instinctive.
I'm not the one who is confused. Go back and read what was said. Then maybe you will stop talking gibberish.

The instinct to stereotype is just that...an instinct. Without it your ancestors would not have survived because they would have been killed by a saber toothed tiger you couldnt tell was a danger to you.
People instinctively gather with people who whom they have something in common, sure. That is hardly in the same category as the instinct not to pet a sabor tooth tiger.
What people have in common is subject to interpretation and importance. All people are people so there should be no racism but there is. Its not instinct to not pet a saber toothed tiger. What is instinctive is the learned behavior which is the cause of racism.
First you equated the instinct to stereotype to the instinct to avoid a tiger. Now you equate instinct to learned behavior. Make up your mind.
You obviously confused yourself. I said stereotyping was an instinct. I never said there was an instinct to avoid a tiger. The stereotyping of the tiger is the instinctive response based on what you learn about the tiger. If you grew up with tigers you wouldnt have a bad stereotype about them and avoid them. You would have a good stereotype. Either way its the stereotyping thats instinctive.
I'm not the one who is confused. Go back and read what was said. Then maybe you will stop talking gibberish.
I dont have to go back. Youre the one that had the bad reading comprehension and got confused. Maybe if you quote me saying i said it was instinct to avoid tigers I'd be apt to believe you. Since you cant that proves you were confused.

I dont have to go back. Youre the one that had the bad reading comprehension and got confused. Maybe if you quote me saying i said it was instinct to avoid tigers I'd be apt to believe you. Since you cant that proves you were confused.
Uh huh. Don't go back and read it. You wouldn't want to discover that you are not profound, only pompous.

Uh huh. Don't go back and read it. You wouldn't want to discover that you are not profound, only pompous.
You could prove it if you quoted me saying it was instinctive to avoid a tiger but since you cant you may as well keep swinging and missing.

You could prove it if you quoted me saying it was instinctive to avoid a tiger but since you cant you may as well keep swinging and missing.
I know that instinct and learned behavior are completely different things. You obviously do not. You will waste no more of my time.

I know that instinct and learned behavior are completely different things. You obviously do not. You will waste no more of my time.
If you knew they were two different things then you would have never claimed staying away from a tiger was instinct.

Confused teenager, nobody ever says stereotypes apply to all, just to most, that is where stereotypes come from.

Let me give you an example, blacks are violent. This doesn't means all blacks are violent, but so many are that the entire race gains a reputation. Young black men are the most violent demographic if you look at crime data. Trotting out one example of a person that goes against the trend is called an anecdote, anecdotes are quite meaningless when talking about entire populations since the arguments must become statistical.

How thoughtful. I went to Manual high (go bolts!) back in 72, being assigned to the media club. I was the token honkey that needed educating by those poor oppressed blacks. I love blacks. But next time I get a lecture from a liberal democrat I just hear white noise and just hear yet again more hypocritical demagoguery .

Why do black people act like such retard's?
Because even a retarded Black person is more intelligent than a cave chimp such as yourself?
Why did you take control of this thread that was clearly intended to be a positive dialogue between Blacks and Whites and turn it into a nasty racial exchange? Why do you do this? I don't understand.

To answer the OP, I don't recognize most of those stereotypes. I don't believe most people are Racists and feel that much of the Racial discord that exists today in America is the direct result of the media and what and how often it chooses to run Racially charged Black-White conflicts.

Because even a retarded Black person is more intelligent than a cave chimp such as yourself?
Why did you take control of this thread that was clearly intended to be a positive dialogue between Blacks and Whites and turn it into a nasty racial exchange? Why do you do this? I don't understand.
You dont understand a lot of things so its no surprise that even though someone else said Blacks act like retards you think I started something.

To answer the OP, I don't recognize most of those stereotypes. I don't believe most people are Racists and feel that much of the Racial discord that exists today in America is the direct result of the media and what and how often it chooses to run Racially charged Black-White conflicts.
So basically youre saying an entire race of people imagine all the racist stuff cops do that doesnt make the news?

Interesting stereotypes. Do all black people think the way you do? :)

You dont understand a lot of things so its no surprise that even though someone else said Blacks act like retards you think I started something.
I don't understand what it feels like to be discriminated against I'll give you that. I do know that constantly looking for Racism in everything and everyone is not constructive. Yes there are some Racist Cops and some Racist Whites and some Racist Blacks but they are not the majority.

I don't understand what it feels like to be discriminated against I'll give you that. I do know that constantly looking for Racism in everything and everyone is not constructive. Yes there are some Racist Cops and some Racist Whites and some Racist Blacks but they are not the majority.
I beg to differ. Seeing racism in white cops kept me alive long enough to celebrate my 21rst birthday. I didnt meet a good white cop until I was in my late 20's. Since you dont understand discrimination you probably are buddies with a lot of racist white people and just dont know it.

Forum List

Back