Who are some of your favorite piano or keyboard players, in any genre, all-time?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
A big thanks goes out to fellow poster Shawnee_b for giving me the idea for this thread. This would include ANY piano players, keyboard players, organ players, or even synthesizer players over the years. My favorites include - 1) Elton John, he's still my favorite all-time. Just a fantastic musician on keyboards. His work on "Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding", the first track on his great double album, single CD Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is just jaw-dropping. 2) Billy Joel, not nicknamed The Piano Man for nothing, this guy has always been a great pianist and keyboardist. His early signature song, "The Piano Man" is ample proof of his talent. 3) Keith Emerson, the wonderful keyboardist for Emerson, Lake and Palmer, he was one of the earliest musicians to incorporate classical music into a rock music setting. He's my favorite of the "progressive rock" keyboardists. His style and pizazz were second to none among rock/classical players. 4) Paul McCartney, yep, THAT Paul McCartney, I liked pretty much all of his piano and keyboard work he did with the Beatles. The song, "Lady Madonna" immediately comes to mind. And I really like some of the keyboard work he's done on his solo albums. "Maybe I'm Amazed" is just fantastic, the studio AND the live versions. 5) Brian Eno, my all-time favorite piano, synthesizer and "ambient" keyboardist/player. His slow, beautiful ambient music is some of THE best and most relaxing ambient or "new age" music you'll ever hear. Highly recommended. Here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

Sorry but I consider Rick Wakeman of Yes fame to be the top keyboard player. If I had to choose after that it would be Billy Joel. Then kind of a toss up of Keith Emerson or Elton John.
Elton started out great but toward the end I could have cared less about his work.

Wakeman and Emerson were friends and friendly rivals. They made each other better. I'd give Wakeman the technical edge, and Emerson a huge compositional edge.

Sorry but I consider Rick Wakeman of Yes fame to be the top keyboard player. If I had to choose after that it would be Billy Joel. Then kind of a toss up of Keith Emerson or Elton John.
Elton started out great but toward the end I could have cared less about his work.
No reason to BE sorry, Max. Wakeman was and still IS a great keyboard player. He JUST missed my top 5, he would be my #6. His work on the early Yes albums, especially on Close To The Edge and Fragile, is just fantastic.

Elton's compositions and playing style was much simpler than Wakeman or Emerson. I know because I can play Elton John but no way can I play Wakeman or Emerson! I also love the old jazz geniuses like Oscar Peterson, Art Tatum and Bill Evans. I've been getting into Keith Jarrett lately he's a little more contemporary. The chords that guy comes up with are crazy.

Elton's compositions and playing style was much simpler than Wakeman or Emerson. I know because I can play Elton John but no way can I play Wakeman or Emerson! I also love the old jazz geniuses like Oscar Peterson, Art Tatum and Bill Evans. I've been getting into Keith Jarrett lately he's a little more contemporary. The chords that guy comes up with are crazy.

So's his body english. :auiqs.jpg:

Jerrett's great.

So's his body english. :auiqs.jpg:

Jerrett's great.
Yes I could do without the piano humping, but man the compositions are really something.

Jean-Michel André Jarre is unrivaled.

Jean-Michel André Jarre is a French composer, performer and record producer. He is a pioneer in the electronic, ambient and new-age genres, and known for organising outdoor spectacles featuring his music, vast laser displays, large projections and fireworks. Wikipedia
Born: August 24, 1948 (age 71 years), 4th arrondissement of Lyon, Lyon, France
Instruments: Synthesizer; piano; organ; laser harp; accordion; guitar; bass guitar; theremin; keytar

Jean-Michel André Jarre is unrivaled.

Jean-Michel André Jarre is a French composer, performer and record producer. He is a pioneer in the electronic, ambient and new-age genres, and known for organising outdoor spectacles featuring his music, vast laser displays, large projections and fireworks. Wikipedia
Born: August 24, 1948 (age 71 years), 4th arrondissement of Lyon, Lyon, France
Instruments: Synthesizer; piano; organ; laser harp; accordion; guitar; bass guitar; theremin; keytar
Thanks for bringing him up, Denizen. He's one of THE best "new age" keyboardist and synthesizer player I've heard. His album, "Oxygene" was a groundbreaking synthesizer/new age recording in the 1970's. Another favorite of mine along these lines is Michael Stearns, and also Ray Lynch.

Forum List

Back