Who are some of your favorite drummers, in any music genre, all-time?

There, of course, have been many great drummers, spanning all genres of music, over the years. My favorites include - 1) John Bonham, THE most powerful drummer ever, IMO. He was like LEAD DRUMMER on some of the Led Zeppelin classics. Just fantastic. 2) Keith Moon, almost as powerful a drummer as Bonham, he, along with bassist John Entwistle, anchored SO many classic songs by The Who. Moon WAS a loon, but a terrific drummer, as well. 3) Neil Peart, the drummer for Rush, was just spectacular. He added so many little percussion things to his playing, he truly WAS a Master Drummer. And like Bonham, he was the LEAD DRUMMER on some songs by Rush. 4) Bill Bruford, just a fantastic drummer for Yes, King Crimson, UK, as well as his vast amount of solo work. He could be powerful, but also very quiet and subtle with his playing. An accomplished master at both rock and roll AND jazz music. 5) The incomparable Buddy Rich, THE best jazz drummer I've ever heard. Just a brilliant drum master, he was amazing at playing intricate OR simple beats. Truly one of a kind. Well, here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?
In the 1970s, Narada Michael Walden could drum any other drummer alive right under the table! If you don't know that, you never saw him do Inner Worlds or Visions of the Emerald Beyond live.

View attachment 333775View attachment 333776

After that, I might include Billy Cobham and Carl Palmer.

Billy'd scare the drums into workin'.

Billy was the first to join the band. He and John used to practice together upstairs in a rented attic in NYC. I was to the house where the band used to practice down in the basememnt in Jamaica Queens. They used to keep the neighborhood rockin'.

A story of Buddy Rich.

Buddy gave a drum clinic at a local high school. I was I think about 17 years old, and went with a friend who was already a professional drummer. The place was packed. He played a bit, and had some players come up and play, giving them tips and encouragement.

The conversation turned to hardware. He said while he liked Slingerland drums, their pedals weren't "worth a god damn".

Suddenly, some woman (someone's mom, no doubt) stood up in the back and said "Mr Rich, I don't think you should be using that sort or language around these young people".

Buddy stared. The crowd went silent. Me, being Billy, raised my hand and stood.

"Yeah, go ahead." said Buddy.

I put on my best Marc Anthony. "Mr Rich, everyone here has come to listen to you, learn from you, and hear you play. No one here (I turned around and looked at the woman) gives a god damn what one person with no interest in the subject cares about your language. I hope you won't cut the clinic short for being so disrespected."

Buddy stared, then smiled. "You play, kid?"

"Not me, sir," I answered. I pointed at my friend. "But HE does, and he's real good!"

He pointed at my friend. "Come on up here, son"

Sheila E. Dated her sister in high school.

She was lovely......

latest

A story of Buddy Rich.

Buddy gave a drum clinic at a local high school. I was I think about 17 years old, and went with a friend who was already a professional drummer. The place was packed. He played a bit, and had some players come up and play, giving them tips and encouragement.

The conversation turned to hardware. He said while he liked Slingerland drums, their pedals weren't "worth a god damn".

Suddenly, some woman (someone's mom, no doubt) stood up in the back and said "Mr Rich, I don't think you should be using that sort or language around these young people".

I put on my best Marc Anthony. "Mr Rich, everyone here has come to listen to you, learn from you, and hear you play. No one here (I turned around and looked at the woman) gives a god damn what one person with no interest in the subject cares about your language. I hope you won't cut the clinic short for being so disrespected."

"Not me, sir," I answered. I pointed at my friend. "But HE does, and he's real good!"

Now THAT'S cool. Thanks very much for telling us about it.

A story of Buddy Rich.

Great guy. I got to shake his hand after.

Vinny Colaiuta
Did he play with Frank Zappa at one time? His name sounds familiar.
Associated acts;
Frank Zappa, Jeff Beck, Sting, Herbie Hancock, Five Peace Band, Damian Drăghici, Joni Mitchell
I clicked on the link you provided for Vinny. Wow, the guy has quite the resume! He's played with a very wide variety of musicians over the years, and even played on a Michael Buble album! Very impressive.

There, of course, have been many great drummers, spanning all genres of music, over the years. My favorites include - 1) John Bonham, THE most powerful drummer ever, IMO. He was like LEAD DRUMMER on some of the Led Zeppelin classics. Just fantastic. 2) Keith Moon, almost as powerful a drummer as Bonham, he, along with bassist John Entwistle, anchored SO many classic songs by The Who. Moon WAS a loon, but a terrific drummer, as well. 3) Neil Peart, the drummer for Rush, was just spectacular. He added so many little percussion things to his playing, he truly WAS a Master Drummer. And like Bonham, he was the LEAD DRUMMER on some songs by Rush. 4) Bill Bruford, just a fantastic drummer for Yes, King Crimson, UK, as well as his vast amount of solo work. He could be powerful, but also very quiet and subtle with his playing. An accomplished master at both rock and roll AND jazz music. 5) The incomparable Buddy Rich, THE best jazz drummer I've ever heard. Just a brilliant drum master, he was amazing at playing intricate OR simple beats. Truly one of a kind. Well, here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

Add Neal Peart.
Yep, he's #3 on my list.

Oops, missed.

A story of Buddy Rich.

Great guy. I got to shake his hand after.
Thanks again for your memory of this. I bet your friend thanked you after the show and discussion.

Forum List

Back