Who are some of your favorite drummers, in any music genre, all-time?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
There, of course, have been many great drummers, spanning all genres of music, over the years. My favorites include - 1) John Bonham, THE most powerful drummer ever, IMO. He was like LEAD DRUMMER on some of the Led Zeppelin classics. Just fantastic. 2) Keith Moon, almost as powerful a drummer as Bonham, he, along with bassist John Entwistle, anchored SO many classic songs by The Who. Moon WAS a loon, but a terrific drummer, as well. 3) Neil Peart, the drummer for Rush, was just spectacular. He added so many little percussion things to his playing, he truly WAS a Master Drummer. And like Bonham, he was the LEAD DRUMMER on some songs by Rush. 4) Bill Bruford, just a fantastic drummer for Yes, King Crimson, UK, as well as his vast amount of solo work. He could be powerful, but also very quiet and subtle with his playing. An accomplished master at both rock and roll AND jazz music. 5) The incomparable Buddy Rich, THE best jazz drummer I've ever heard. Just a brilliant drum master, he was amazing at playing intricate OR simple beats. Truly one of a kind. Well, here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

There, of course, have been many great drummers, spanning all genres of music, over the years. My favorites include - 1) John Bonham, THE most powerful drummer ever, IMO. He was like LEAD DRUMMER on some of the Led Zeppelin classics. Just fantastic. 2) Keith Moon, almost as powerful a drummer as Bonham, he, along with bassist John Entwistle, anchored SO many classic songs by The Who. Moon WAS a loon, but a terrific drummer, as well. 3) Neil Peart, the drummer for Rush, was just spectacular. He added so many little percussion things to his playing, he truly WAS a Master Drummer. And like Bonham, he was the LEAD DRUMMER on some songs by Rush. 4) Bill Bruford, just a fantastic drummer for Yes, King Crimson, UK, as well as his vast amount of solo work. He could be powerful, but also very quiet and subtle with his playing. An accomplished master at both rock and roll AND jazz music. 5) The incomparable Buddy Rich, THE best jazz drummer I've ever heard. Just a brilliant drum master, he was amazing at playing intricate OR simple beats. Truly one of a kind. Well, here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

John Henry Bonham was an English musician and songwriter, best known as the drummer for the English rock band Led Zeppelin. Esteemed for his speed, power, fast bass drumming, distinctive sound, and feel for the groove, he is regarded as one of the... Wikipedia

In the 1970s, Narada Michael Walden could drum any other drummer alive right under the table! If you don't know that, you never saw him do Inner Worlds or Visions of the Emerald Beyond live.

74e46bd8514396b9eb682449e09ea6c5.jpg
968f8f3e3a25468fb3b3afcd052b24b8.jpg

After that, I might include Billy Cobham and Carl Palmer.

Add Neal Peart.

Add Neal Peart.
Yep, he's #3 on my list.

How about Karen Carpenter ... yeah ... she played drums on all those Carpenters albums ... meh, maybe not so good though ...

Bill Kreutzmann is a solid rock-and-roll drummer, maybe not top ten material, but he gets the job done ... he teamed up with Mickey Hart who is something of top level jazz drummer ... big on innovation and such ... and together over the years explored many avenues of different drumming style from around the world and presented them in concert ... so instead of that "boring drum solo" as Ian Anderson complains, we have our drum duets ...

The Grateful Dead needed two drummers on stage just so you could hear them ... far and away the best percussion section of any rock band ...

In the 1970s, Narada Michael Walden could drum any other drummer alive right under the table! If you don't know that, you never saw him do Inner Worlds or Visions of the Emerald Beyond live.

View attachment 333775View attachment 333776

After that, I might include Billy Cobham and Carl Palmer.

Billy'd scare the drums into workin'.

Neal Peart
Tommy Lee
Alex Van Halen
JR Robinson

I could go on.

Forum List

Back