Who are some of your favorite 1960's and 70's classic r&b and soul singers, groups, or musicians?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
And this would also include those that got their start before the 1960's or continued recording after the 1970's. Some of my favorites include - 1) Otis Redding, my absolute favorite soul singer and musician, he had a perfect voice for the music. He could croon gently and emotively AND fiercely belt out a song with equal precision. And he sometimes did BOTH within the same song! Just an incredible live performer, as well, he was taken from us at the horribly too young age of 26. 2) Marvin Gaye, another fantastic singer and musician, he started out as a session drummer for Motown! And what an incredibly smooth and emotive voice the man had. Unfortunately he had personal problems which caused him to be living with his father, who shot Marvin to death. It should've never happened, and was a shock to the music world. 3) Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul, who definitely deserved that moniker. Like Otis Redding, she could sing gently and softly AND also really had the ability to belt out a song. I've yet to hear a recording by her where her voice was not incredibly fantastic. 4) Stevie Wonder, just a WONDERFUL singer, songwriter, and musician. His two album/CD release in the 1970's, Songs In The Key Of Life, is my favorite double album/CD all-time. Stevie has always been able to create nice ballads, as well as wonderful bouncy, energetic songs with equal ease. He is a true American treasure. 5) The Four Tops, my favorite soul and r&b group all-time, they get my pick JUST over The Temptations. The Tempts, I believe, had more hit songs than the Four Tops, but I prefer the music of Levi Stubbs and his fellow singers in the group. Here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?

cb515a9b4c420d056a4a0af485a7cf3d.jpg

Al Green, Marvin Gaye, The Stylistics, Blue Magic, Temptations, Friends of Distinction, Barry White, Earth Wind and Fire and on and on and on :)

I did a gig back in the ‘60s with Marvin Gaye at Palisades Park.

Heck of a nice guy! And talented.

What’s Going On is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Last edited:
And this would also include those that got their start before the 1960's or continued recording after the 1970's. Some of my favorites include - 1) Otis Redding, my absolute favorite soul singer and musician, he had a perfect voice for the music. He could croon gently and emotively AND fiercely belt out a song with equal precision. And he sometimes did BOTH within the same song! Just an incredible live performer, as well, he was taken from us at the horribly too young age of 26. 2) Marvin Gaye, another fantastic singer and musician, he started out as a session drummer for Motown! And what an incredibly smooth and emotive voice the man had. Unfortunately he had personal problems which caused him to be living with his father, who shot Marvin to death. It should've never happened, and was a shock to the music world. 3) Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul, who definitely deserved that moniker. Like Otis Redding, she could sing gently and softly AND also really had the ability to belt out a song. I've yet to hear a recording by her where her voice was not incredibly fantastic. 4) Stevie Wonder, just a WONDERFUL singer, songwriter, and musician. His two album/CD release in the 1970's, Songs In The Key Of Life, is my favorite double album/CD all-time. Stevie has always been able to create nice ballads, as well as wonderful bouncy, energetic songs with equal ease. He is a true American treasure. 5) The Four Tops, my favorite soul and r&b group all-time, they get my pick JUST over The Temptations. The Tempts, I believe, had more hit songs than the Four Tops, but I prefer the music of Levi Stubbs and his fellow singers in the group. Here are some of my favorites, who are some of yours?
I think of all of them Gladys Knight is my favorite

Last edited:
Honorable Mention - James Carr, one of the best soul singers I've heard. His version of "The Dark End Of The Street" may be my all-time favorite soul/r&b song. It resonates with power and grace. Unfortunately James struggled with depression his whole life, and I believe it was a major factor in him dying at a fairly young age. Check out ANY of his music on YouTube, you'll be glad you did. I also HAVE to mention James Brown. He was an incredible singer, performer AND dancer. His music never fails to get me off my butt, and dancing. He's another true American treasure.

I love the late Steve Sanders of the Oak Ridge Boys who was a solo act from 1966-1971 and the late Billy Joe Royal who first hit the top ten in 1965 with "Down In The Boondocks".

God bless you and those who have loved them longer than me always!!!

Holly

P.S. Steve was only 14 when his first album was released and so the soul wasn't there until sometime after his voice finally matured, but still it eventually showed up and it to me, it couldn't have been better.

Don't listen to 'Soul' much, but James Brown has to top the list, and was literally 'The Hardest Working Man In Show business', followed by Aretha Franklin, then there is Odetta, Etta James, Nina Simone, Garnett Simms, Smokey Robinson, both as a singer and as a producer, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight, Ray Charles, who doesn't get enough credit for his genre busting innovations, Bobby Womack, Percy Sledge. Motown had several producers and writers who belong on the list, but I can't recall their names at the moment.

Oh, forgot Patti La Belle, great voice and stage personality. Does Gene Vincent count? Doo Wops are a category all their own, The Platters, etc.

Last edited:
Honestly I believe this was one of the greatest eras of music. So much love and passion and energy put into it. Some songs would have 3-4 minutes of story telling and no matter how many times you heard the song you would always want to listen to it again. The live instrumentation and bands were amazing. Earth Wind and Fire. The Isley brothers, The list goes on and on, so much talent

Forum List

Back