When does/has the government actually ration my healthcare?

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
I'm gonna step out of the CDZ for a minute to get more responses. Here I'll try to be edgy and offensive!

When does Washington actually ration my healthcare? The local baseball team got me thinking about this. If they want a player to have some ridiculous surgery they or he pays for it.

There is an organ donor list....

If I don't need someone else's body part (which there aren't enough of donated I guess), when does the government tell me I can't just go get a Colonoscopy a day?

I'm gonna step out of the CDZ for a minute to get more responses. Here I'll try to be edgy and offensive!

When does Washington actually ration my healthcare? The local baseball team got me thinking about this. If they want a player to have some ridiculous surgery they or he pays for it.

If I don't need someone else's body part (which there aren't enough of donated I guess), when does the government tell me I can't just go get a Colonoscopy a day?

Have you been denied a colonoscopy??

Um, is the government paying for your healthcare?

Nah, but I have been hearing alot about rationed healthcare for the last decade. After listening to sports talk radio today I don't think it really exists outside of getting organs or non approved treatments

Nah, but I have been hearing alot about rationed healthcare for the last decade. After listening to sports talk radio today I don't think it really exists outside of getting organs or non approved treatments

So you've "been hearing a lot about rationed healthcare", but you didn't actually bother to listen to what they were saying about it, or why? You basically just picked up that two-word phrase and ran with what you THOUGHT was going on?

It's mostly just a recognition that we don't have infinite resources. In a free market, we work that our via voluntary exchange - free trade. But if government takes over, it's referred to as rationing. The key difference is that some designated authority is responsible for distributing goods and services, as opposed to voluntary exchange.

Most people who think about it much realize that government taking over health insurance would involve rationing of some sort.

It's mostly just a recognition that we don't have infinite resources. In a free market, we work that our via voluntary exchange - free trade. But if government takes over, it's referred to as rationing. The key difference is that some designated authority is responsible for distributing goods and services, as opposed to voluntary exchange.

Most people who think about it much realize that government taking over health insurance would involve rationing of some sort.

Even private insurance rations health care. Hell, people who pay for their own health care out-of-pocket do it. An insurance company is not simply going to pay for any procedure you decide to get on a whim, and only a complete dumbass is going to pay for something himself without giving some thought to whether or not it's necessary enough to warrant the cost.

The difference is, who should be deciding whether or not you're sick enough to justify the expenditure? You, or some stranger to whom your well-being is probably not the first priority?

Even private insurance rations health care. Hell, people who pay for their own health care out-of-pocket do it. An insurance company is not simply going to pay for any procedure you decide to get on a whim, and only a complete dumbass is going to pay for something himself without giving some thought to whether or not it's necessary enough to warrant the cost.

The difference is, who should be deciding whether or not you're sick enough to justify the expenditure? You, or some stranger to whom your well-being is probably not the first priority?

What you said is worth trillions of dollars.
Would it be fair to say: Capitalism rations healthcare currently and folks should be concerned the government might when that system becomes unsustainable for the masses?

It is an interesting debate if The United States cares more about your life than a for profit company.

What you said is worth trillions of dollars.
Would it be fair to say: Capitalism rations healthcare currently and folks should be concerned the government might when that system becomes unsustainable for the masses?

It is an interesting debate if The United States cares more about your life than a for profit company.

LIFE rations all limited resources. That's just how life works. People should be concerned any time that someone other than themselves is making decisions about their lives.

And no, the government doesn't care more about your life. It doesn't care at all, because it has no motivation to. At least the insurance company wants you to stay alive so that you'll keep paying your premiums.

No, it wouldn't. It would make no sense. The whole point of rationing is to distribute important goods and resources equally. Capitalism, by design, does the opposite.

That would be a most tedious "debate". And completely irrelevant.

The real question is whether we want health care to be a matter of politics. Do we want every election to be a referendum on whether grandma lives or dies?

Forum List

Back