What's the right way to link?

mamooth

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Please help settle an argument I'm having.

I'll always make a quick link to another USMB post this way:

1. Go to the post to be linked to.
2. Left-click on the post number in the upper right corner.
3. Copy the first URL in the popup box.
4. Past it into my post as a link.

That will give an URL in this format. Short and sweet, and it always works.

xxxx://xxx.usmessageboard.com/posts/8931098/

More Proof the skeptics are WINNING!!

(That's a junk thread I picked because it has many pages.)

Someone else has declared that's all wrong. He says one should right-click on the post number, select "copy link location" from the browser popup, and paste that. Copying the URL from the address bar does the same thing. For that same post, that technique would give this:

xxxx://xxx.usmessageboard.com/threads/more-proof-the-skeptics-are-winning.313851/page-100#post-8931098

I say that's wrong, because doing that fetches an URL with a page-number based on your own personal board posts-per-page preference setting. Other people won't necessarily have the same pref set, so if the thread is long enough, that kind of link will send people with a different pref setting to the wrong page.

For example, those links above were made when I had my prefs set at 30 posts/page. If I change my prefs to 20 posts/page, the URL changes to this, and the previous URL will send me to the wrong post.

xxxx://xxx.usmessageboard.com/threads/more-proof-the-skeptics-are-winning.313851/page-149#post-8931098

What does everyone else think?

Someone else has declared that's all wrong. He says one should right-click on the post number, select "copy link location" from the browser popup, and paste that. Copying the URL from the address bar does the same thing. For that same post, that technique would give this:

xxxx://xxx.usmessageboard.com/threads/more-proof-the-skeptics-are-winning.313851/page-100#post-8931098

I say that's wrong, because doing that fetches an URL with a page-number based on your own personal board posts-per-page preference setting. Other people won't necessarily have the same pref set, so if the thread is long enough, that kind of link will send people with a different pref setting to the wrong page.

For example, those links above were made when I had my prefs set at 30 posts/page. If I change my prefs to 20 posts/page, the URL changes to this, and the previous URL will send me to the wrong post.

xxxx://xxx.usmessageboard.com/threads/more-proof-the-skeptics-are-winning.313851/page-149#post-8931098

Mod Edit -- Not appropriate for Announcements.

If one one wants to play with HTML here, there's a thing in the toolbar where you can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your second version is what I used to do --- "copy link location", but you are correct that unless linker and linkee have posts-per-page set identically, the link will default to post 1. So I've given up and now just link the thread and cite "see post 328". Which also goes to hell if threads are merged or posts are removed.

Until you just described it here and I tried it just now, I wasn't even aware you could left-click a link number and get something useful out of it. The software in this jernt is full of mysteries. So I'll be trying this henceforth, forthwith, to wit et al. Thank you.

I have mine set to 20 per page. No idea what the common settings are for others.

When I read the title here I thought it was going to be about the way some people insist on posting links called "Error- USMessageboard". I can't understand that. Why would anyone want to click on "error"? How do they even do that? :dunno:

My version= Go to site, double-click address bar, copy, paste on USMB. :rock:

It's not that hard, I even taught a n00b to do it recently.

My version= Go to site, double-click address bar, copy, paste on USMB. :rock:

It's not that hard, I even taught a n00b to do it recently.

Not linking to a site. He's talking about linking to a specific post.

Right click on little arrow, copy, paste, derp!

What's the right way to link?

You're uh, not reading the thread at all, are ya.

Right there in his OP the OP points out why that doesn't work, and he's right. I found that out long ago.

xxxx://xxx.usmessageboard.com/p

I'm not committing definitely here. Because there are details here that I'm guessing at. BUT -- the left click method is more reliable. If your #of posts/page does not match the system default -- than the "right click" method takes you to the PAGE of that thread according to your "posts/pg" setting. And if it does not find the ABSOLUTE post number (which agrees in ALL your examples) -- it just dumps you at the top of YOUR XXXth page and calls it quits. It probably works on threads that are LESS THAN 12 pages longs or so..

That's what happens. It drives moderators nuts when the "right click" page # method reference is used in long threads. Only reason I'm not committing here is I'm ASSUMING it always leave you at the top of page and stops looking for the ACTUAL post number.

Last edited:
They are all leading to the same post..the OP.

I was wrong. Just takes a sec to go to the correct post.

I was wrong. Just takes a sec to go to the correct post.

You need a bigger thread with way more posts to demonstrate it. Once you get past the point where different readers have their posts/page on different settings there are too many variables for the post number link to work.

IOW what I see as "Page 14" of some long thread is not the same page of threads as "page 14" for someone else reading the same thread. If it's post 143 and you have your posts/page set to "10", that post is on your page 14. Mine is set to 20 so I don't even have a page 14. For me that post is on page 8. The permalink on that number 143 can't handle that discrepancy at all.

Last edited:

Is it really worth the effort for people who won't even care? I just post the link direct.

Forum List

Back