What will Gas prices have to get to before you change your discretionary driving trips?

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Me, I already have.....Gas is $4.50 here.

This time of year I used to drive 60 miles one-way into NOtVA and go to the community yard sales there and tool around for several hours. I would take the F150. I've been once this year and I won't go back. I just can't swallow being $65.00+in the hole in gas right from the jump.

Oh I can afford it but you have to find/sell a lot of stuff to make it up.....I just go local and take the Soul....If I find something too big to haul I'll pay for it and go home and get the truck. ;)

This time of year I used to drive 60 miles one-way into NOtVA and go to the community yard sales there and tool around for several hours. I would take the F150. I've been once this year and I won't go back. I just can't swallow being $65.00+in the hole in gas right from the jump.

Oh I can afford it but you have to find/sell a lot of stuff to make it up.....I just go local and take the Soul....If I find something too big to haul I'll pay for it and go home and get the truck. ;)
I've never gone on joy rides. I've always been the type of person that drives to and from the place that I need to go.

Right now a tank of gas takes me a month to use.

I'm thinking on buying a skooter so I can cut down on my carbon footprint even more.

I've been driving 65 miles one way once or twice a week since early April to mow and landscape my mother and father-in-law's five acre lawn. Unleaded is running about a dime cheaper per gallon in their state vs. mine, but I've been running ethanol in the Silverado since the steep gas price increase, which is still a buck or so cheaper. What price would prevent me from continuing to mow their lawn all summer long? I don't know, ten or fifteen per gallon maybe? I mean, I'd have to answer to both my wife and mother-in-law if I bowed out and no price per gallon would be worth that.

In other news I am still hitting my favorite trout stream almost daily, which is around forty miles from our home. Couple that with my wife running down to her parents on the regular and her shopping expeditions in the City two hours to the south and . . . well, we're good consumers I suppose; a bit too good for our own good.

If gas hits $20 per I suppose we'll try to buy a horse and buggy from the Amish.

$8 per gal

Save the planet!

Turn off the gas.
Turn off the electricity.
Park your non-people powered vehicle.
Get back in the cave.

Then you'd see people live like God intended. Free of fossil fuels and, in time, become foxssil fuels.

It's what you liberals want so why are you insisting only others get with the program.

Good question!

We drive so little now that so far, there has been no change.

$10 a gallon and I'll start cutting back even more, though. I'll be interested in what others say.

Save the planet!

Turn off the gas.
Turn off the electricity.
Park your non-people powered vehicle.
Get back in the cave.

Then you'd see people live like God intended. Free of fossil fuels and, in time, become foxssil fuels.

It's what you liberals want so why are you insisting only others get with the program.
I think every time Joe F**king Biden needs to go to Davos he needs to take a sailboat.

I've been driving 65 miles one way once or twice a week since early April to mow and landscape my mother and father-in-law's five acre lawn. Unleaded is running about a dime cheaper per gallon in their state vs. mine, but I've been running ethanol in the Silverado since the steep gas price increase, which is still a buck or so cheaper. What price would prevent me from continuing to mow their lawn all summer long? I don't know, ten or fifteen per gallon maybe? I mean, I'd have to answer to both my wife and mother-in-law if I bowed out and no price per gallon would be worth that.

In other news I am still hitting my favorite trout stream almost daily, which is around forty miles from our home. Couple that with my wife running down to her parents on the regular and her shopping expeditions in the City two hours to the south and . . . well, we're good consumers I suppose; a bit too good for our own good.

If gas hits $20 per I suppose we'll try to buy a horse and buggy from the Amish.
LOL....Sucks to be you. Why not just pay a local to do it for them?

That and the 5-acres needs to be trimmed back by at least 4.5 acres. ;)

It's weird....my grand parents had a farm and their fenced "lawn" could be mowed in 15 minutes with a reel mower, the cows took care of what was on the other side of the fence. All the farm house "lawns" in the area were like that. Only newcomers to the area had large lawns.

When you consider it "acreage" lawns are a huge waste of your own resources.....Never mind the rest of the "environmental" hogwash.

A realtor friend once told me that huge lawns are actually a turn-off to potential home buyers because all the man side of the equation sees is a lot of damn work for himself or the expense of having it done by someone else....Smaller well kept lawns sell a house a lot better.

It isn't just the price of gas going up but also everything else. The rich people don't care, but those of us on the south side of the income ladder just don't have any money to waste. You gotta take care of the necessities first, and that's hard enough. There ain't much left over, y'know?

Inflation overall is changing our daily habits, not just gas. Less traveling will probably be the norm for most Americans this summer. Tough for those on fixed incomes, that is for sure.

Forum List

Back