What Sports League Will Be First?

Which US Sports League Will Be The First to Do Away With Trading Players?

• NFL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NHL

• MLB

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The EPL is much like an American sports league. There are 20 clubs (teams). You play each other team twice; once at home and once away. You get 3 points for a win, one point for a tie and no points for a loss. Whichever team has the highest amount of points at the end of the season, they win. The top teams are eligible for European tournaments. The bottom three clubs are kicked out of the league.

Anyway, they don't have trades. If you want to get rid of a player who is under contract, the club and the player agree to terminate his contract while the club still retains rights to the player's services. He's just not playing for them. If another club in the league wants to sign the player, they negotiate with the player informally. If they agree, the club giving up the player gets a transfer fee. Then the receiving team gets to sign the player formally and he can wear their kit (uniform) and start playing games.

The reason why I think this is a better system is that the player is never going to find out that he was traded in the media.
None of this answers my question on whether or not soccer is a cartel. Do the owners profit share, and are the referees owned by the same folks that own the teams?
You're right about some of that. Having referees rig games gets into the realm of being illegal.

Latest Word on the Trail? I Take It Back​

ESPN: Everywhere Sports Profit Network​

How did the Bristol-based sports channel become the world’s most powerful media brand? It never forgot the fans
ESPN: Everywhere Sports Profit Network

Court seems leery of NFL antitrust protection

None of this answers my question on whether or not soccer is a cartel. Do the owners profit share, and are the referees owned by the same folks that own the teams?

Latest Word on the Trail? I Take It Back​

ESPN: Everywhere Sports Profit Network​

How did the Bristol-based sports channel become the world’s most powerful media brand? It never forgot the fans
ESPN: Everywhere Sports Profit Network

Court seems leery of NFL antitrust protection
Oh...I thought that was self explanatory. The EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga--yep they are a "cartel" if you want to use that term.

How many shots did he take?
Probably quite a bit.

1679675618324.png

Its evolving.

Do you see any leagues listed above just deciding that it may not be the best idea to send human beings and their families across the nation without any input from them?
If you get traded and don’t want to move you dont have to keep playing. Pretty simple.

The model has changed for all sports

Used to be team owners owned you until they traded you or released you.
Now, every sport has some type of free agency
Even College Sports
TV subscribers also need the same considerations on TV packages. So people who have cable TV need choices in basic cable. If a person does not want sport channels, then reduce the price of his cable package and eliminate the sport channels. Same for any other groupings. Let people choose a minimum of so-called news stations for the price.

TV subscribers also need the same considerations on TV packages. So people who have cable TV need choices in basic cable. If a person does not want sport channels, then reduce the price of his cable package and eliminate the sport channels. Same for any other groupings. Let people choose a minimum of so-called news stations for the price.
WTF?

The status of athletes under contract has evolved over more than a hundred years. The model for professional teams was the "reserve clause" in baseball, which tied a player FOREVER to the team he signed with. He could either play for them or not play. No other options.

They had a lot of problems with anti-trust laws, but were historically deemed immune. They knew that favorable treatment would not last, so some sort of free agency was inevitable.

Over many years and a lot of negotiations, the arrived at the point where they are now. They are locked into their employers for a few years - able to demand arbitration* after a few years - but then they are free agents and can sign with anyone they want. Anyone thinking they are abused as a result of this evolved relationship is not paying attention.

* "Baseball arbitration" is a godsend to the world of business, where it is used strategically. In "baseball arbitration," the arbitrator MAY NOT COMPROMISE the terms; s/he must accept either the player's proposal or that of the team. I have resolved many business disputes simply by suggesting that we go into "baseball arbitration," and explaining what it is. Neither side can take an unreasonable position, or they will lose the arbitration. It's great. Both sides are reasonable, and usually you don't have to go to the arbitrator.

The status of athletes under contract has evolved over more than a hundred years. The model for professional teams was the "reserve clause" in baseball, which tied a player FOREVER to the team he signed with. He could either play for them or not play. No other options.

They had a lot of problems with anti-trust laws, but were historically deemed immune. They knew that favorable treatment would not last, so some sort of free agency was inevitable.

Over many years and a lot of negotiations, the arrived at the point where they are now. They are locked into their employers for a few years - able to demand arbitration* after a few years - but then they are free agents and can sign with anyone they want. Anyone thinking they are abused as a result of this evolved relationship is not paying attention.

* "Baseball arbitration" is a godsend to the world of business, where it is used strategically. In "baseball arbitration," the arbitrator MAY NOT COMPROMISE the terms; s/he must accept either the player's proposal or that of the team. I have resolved many business disputes simply by suggesting that we go into "baseball arbitration," and explaining what it is. Neither side can take an unreasonable position, or they will lose the arbitration. It's great. Both sides are reasonable, and usually you don't have to go to the arbitrator.
So because you're well paid, you lose the right to determine where you live and work?

So because you're well paid, you lose the right to determine where you live and work?
Nothing is forcing them to move other than their desire to continue to make a ton of money playing a game. They are free to not play anymore and stay right where they currently live.

They are free to not play anymore and stay right where they currently live.
Of course you know that isn't what happens; I don't know why you're arguing otherwise. If a player quits and refuses a trade, the team that had his rights when he quit still retains those rights. Its not as if they can go and make their own deal with another club in the same league.

Is the draft unfair? Why don’t athletes get to choose where they play?
I don't like the draft but I wouldn't call it "unfair". The prospect being drafted knows what is happening. You're not trading a human being who may have never saw the trade coming; may have just bought a house, enrolled his kids in school, etc... A player getting drafted out of college knows its a lottery system to which he may be playing next door or across the nation and knows that going in.

I don't like the draft but I wouldn't call it "unfair". The prospect being drafted knows what is happening. You're not trading a human being who may have never saw the trade coming; may have just bought a house, enrolled his kids in school, etc... A player getting drafted out of college knows its a lottery system to which he may be playing next door or across the nation and knows that going in.
You also sign up for the draft and sign a contract for a limited number of years

Of course you know that isn't what happens; I don't know why you're arguing otherwise. If a player quits and refuses a trade, the team that had his rights when he quit still retains those rights. Its not as if they can go and make their own deal with another club in the same league.
They don’t have to continue to play is the point. They are only “forced” to move if they want to continue to play. They are free to do something else and stay where they are.

The reason your plan is less than ideal is it ruins team parity. The NFL is popular because it’s competitive. La Liga isn’t competitive. There are essentially 2 teams. Barcelona and Real Madrid competing for championships.

Are you advocating getting rid of the draft as well?
No. The draft is a different proposition from a trade. A draft is set up to where the player who enters the draft knows that they can be selected by a team across the street or across the country. They know it's coming. This is a different proposition than a player being called into the office on Tuesday in Phoenix and told to report to Pittsburgh and he has 72 hours to rearrange his entire life. Not only that, the team that he was playing for or acquiring him may be doing so for reasons that are not favorable to him. He may be slated as a back up player for the new team. He may be a contract dump for the old team and was traded as part of a deal to stay south of the salary cap.

Although I do wonder how much longer the draft will be around in professional leagues. As we saw with LeBron, Wade and Paul all deciding to play for the Heath, the players more and more are selecting the teams. Where is it written (I really don't know that it is) that a player has to make themselves available for the draft? Of course, the argument is that the player supposedly maximizes their earnings by having teams compete to sign him. But is that really happening? Are the Texans really bidding against another team if they draft the All America linebacker Billy Bob Boudreaux out of LSU? From what it looks like, if the Texans drafted Triple B, they offer him X and he either takes it or not. What keeps Triple B from deciding he wants to play for the Saints, contacting the Saints after his Junior or Senior year (or sooner!), and saying he wants to play for them?

They don’t have to continue to play is the point. They are only “forced” to move if they want to continue to play. They are free to do something else and stay where they are.

The reason your plan is less than ideal is it ruins team parity. The NFL is popular because it’s competitive. La Liga isn’t competitive. There are essentially 2 teams. Barcelona and Real Madrid competing for championships.
ok

No. The draft is a different proposition from a trade. A draft is set up to where the player who enters the draft knows that they can be selected by a team across the street or across the country. They know it's coming. This is a different proposition than a player being called into the office on Tuesday in Phoenix and told to report to Pittsburgh and he has 72 hours to rearrange his entire life. Not only that, the team that he was playing for or acquiring him may be doing so for reasons that are not favorable to him. He may be slated as a back up player for the new team. He may be a contract dump for the old team and was traded as part of a deal to stay south of the salary cap.

Although I do wonder how much longer the draft will be around in professional leagues. As we saw with LeBron, Wade and Paul all deciding to play for the Heath, the players more and more are selecting the teams. Where is it written (I really don't know that it is) that a player has to make themselves available for the draft? Of course, the argument is that the player supposedly maximizes their earnings by having teams compete to sign him. But is that really happening? Are the Texans really bidding against another team if they draft the All America linebacker Billy Bob Boudreaux out of LSU? From what it looks like, if the Texans drafted Triple B, they offer him X and he either takes it or not. What keeps Triple B from deciding he wants to play for the Saints, contacting the Saints after his Junior or Senior year (or sooner!), and saying he wants to play for them?

And…….

By entering the draft, they know that as part of that, they can be told they may be traded

New Topics

Forum List

Back