What Sports League Will Be First?

Which US Sports League Will Be The First to Do Away With Trading Players?

• NFL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NHL

• MLB

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
It's way past time to get rid of the practice of trading athletes against their will. Can you imagine showing up for work one day and finding out you've been traded to a different company in a different city and had 3 days to show up ready to work for your new company? It's crazy that this is still accepted practice.

I'm certainly not saying that the teams should have no ability to get compensation for a player. Otherwise, you'd have some teams become defect farm teams for other clubs that are either more desired or had ownership that is more wealthy. English Soccer has a good system, I feel:

Soccer players are traded between clubs through a process known as a transfer. In a transfer, a player's contract with one club is terminated and they are signed to a new contract with a different club.
Something like this would be more preferable I feel. The player, at least, gets a new contract as part of the trade. The club losing the player gets paid a transfer fee. And the player usually receives a better contract. The player, in the English Premier League, can refuse the transfer as well. Also, I have no problem with the leagues that have a presence in the US trading draft picks because this is not forcing a player to uproot their life.

I get the feeling that sometime in the next ten years, you'll see the practice of trading players become so rare that the leagues will eventually just do away with the antiquated and harsh practice all together.

JeopardyNever.jpg

It’s one of the concessions one makes when he’s fortunate enough to make a very fine living playing a game.

I don't know anything about Soccer.

Is Soccer a cartel like all the American sports leagues?

Americans have an illusion that the teams are all separate, or that something divides the interests between the teams; they aren't, the teams are all one. All of the various owners, are engaged in profit sharing, it is all one large business, it is a cartel.

This is why, if it is good for the cartel to move players around, or have refs rig the games and the continuing process of league play, and create, "stories," of how players careers, and teams evolve, that the fans will buy into, this sort of behavior will continue.

Americans have an illusion that the teams are all separate, or that something divides that interest between the teams, they aren't, the teams are all one. All of the various owners, are engaged in profit sharing, it is all one large business, it is a cartel.

This is why, if it is good for the cartel to move players around, or have refs rig the games and the continuing process of league play, and create, "stories," of how players careers, and teams evolve, that the fans will buy into, this sort of behavior will continue.
In much of the world I think it is referred to as a sport, but it is far too boring for me to study any further, like watching grass grow really.

Golfing is more exiting.

Players have a contract that they sign.
While they are under contract, they can be traded and the contract remains in effect.
Some players have no trade clauses or only trades to specific teams

In much of the world I think it is referred to as a sport, but it is far too boring for me to study any further, like watching grass grow really.

Golfing is more exiting.

In Golf, each player scores at least 18 times.
In Soccer, you are lucky if they score once

The EPL is much like an American sports league. There are 20 clubs (teams). You play each other team twice; once at home and once away. You get 3 points for a win, one point for a tie and no points for a loss. Whichever team has the highest amount of points at the end of the season, they win. The top teams are eligible for European tournaments. The bottom three clubs are kicked out of the league.

Anyway, they don't have trades. If you want to get rid of a player who is under contract, the club and the player agree to terminate his contract while the club still retains rights to the player's services. He's just not playing for them. If another club in the league wants to sign the player, they negotiate with the player informally. If they agree, the club giving up the player gets a transfer fee. Then the receiving team gets to sign the player formally and he can wear their kit (uniform) and start playing games.

The reason why I think this is a better system is that the player is never going to find out that he was traded in the media.

True, the players agree to this when they get in the game. It doesn't make it right in my view.
Americans have an illusion that the teams are all separate, or that something divides the interests between the teams; they aren't, the teams are all one. All of the various owners, are engaged in profit sharing, it is all one large business, it is a cartel.

You're right about some of that. Having referees rig games gets into the realm of being illegal.

Players have a contract that they sign.
While they are under contract, they can be traded and the contract remains in effect.
Some players have no trade clauses or only trades to specific teams

Do you feel that this model will ever change? Do you think at some point, a commissioner will stand up and perhaps state that we (the teams in the league) shouldn't be doing this?

Do you feel that this model will ever change? Do you think at some point, a commissioner will stand up and perhaps state that we (the teams in the league) shouldn't be doing this?
The model has changed for all sports

Used to be team owners owned you until they traded you or released you.
Now, every sport has some type of free agency
Even College Sports

The model has changed for all sports

Used to be team owners owned you until they traded you or released you.
Now, every sport has some type of free agency
Even College Sports
Its evolving.

Do you see any leagues listed above just deciding that it may not be the best idea to send human beings and their families across the nation without any input from them?

Forum List

Back