what is right with the justice system, what is wrong with it?

what would you change, what would you keep. What do you agree with, and disagree with regarding the justice system

your thoughts.

I actually think it works pretty well.

Off hand, I guess I would favor more funding to the criminal defense bar. It is hard to make sure that indigent clients are provided an adequate defense with such few resources available.

I guess I also think that judges should have greater discretion in sentencing. The federal sentencing guidelines are too rigid (and I suspect that it is the same in some states).

That is all that comes to mind off the top of my head.

I actually think it works pretty well.

Off hand, I guess I would favor more funding to the criminal defense bar. It is hard to make sure that indigent clients are provided an adequate defense with such few resources available.

I guess I also think that judges should have greater discretion in sentencing. The federal sentencing guidelines are too rigid (and I suspect that it is the same in some states).

That is all that comes to mind off the top of my head.

I think that I pretty much agree with you. This is an interesting topic. I often wondered if jurors should be limited to educated people (attorneys, doctors, etc.) I imagine that one of the attorneys would object to such a notion. I just have not made up my mind.

what would you change, what would you keep. What do you agree with, and disagree with regarding the justice system

your thoughts.

I would not make drug possession a crime that sends you to prison. It's called the "justice system" because it is intended to promote fairness and reprimand those who have harmed society in one way or another. Drug offenders should be sent immediately to a rehabilitation center instead of locking them up when the only harm they've caused has been to themselves.

Also: death penalty. There needs to be definitive proof to sentence someone to death. If this definitive proof is obtained at the beginning of the trial, all appeals should be dismissed. Without definitive proof, no one is executed.

And Miranda Rights should be eliminated. Too many guilty criminals have gotten off the hook because the officer forgets to read them. If a criminal asks, the officer should say them but it should not be at the officer's own initiative.

Forum List

Back