What is art?

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
I was listening to the radio earlier and they mentioned a huge debating going on in Philly on whether to return the Rocky Balboa statue to the Art Museum. They decided that they would return it there, but that atleast one of the people on the board that made a comment that he thought it was inappropriate because it wasnt art.

Now that made me curious. Why is a sculpture not a piece of art? I mean I dont necessarily think its good. quite honestly i dont care much about it. But its obviously a sculpture so how is it not art? Especially when looking at post modern art, i have no doubt that guy would consider piss in a jar art.

I just dont understand how people can say a sculpture isnt art, but that garbage (And I literally do mean garbage, not in the opinion fashion but actual literal garbage) is art. It just makes no sense to me.

I understand what you’re saying.

IMO, it's the same as “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”.

Personally, I don’t think Picassos’ stuff was art. So there ya go

I was listening to the radio earlier and they mentioned a huge debating going on in Philly on whether to return the Rocky Balboa statue to the Art Museum. They decided that they would return it there, but that atleast one of the people on the board that made a comment that he thought it was inappropriate because it wasnt art.

Now that made me curious. Why is a sculpture not a piece of art? I mean I dont necessarily think its good. quite honestly i dont care much about it. But its obviously a sculpture so how is it not art? Especially when looking at post modern art, i have no doubt that guy would consider piss in a jar art.

I just dont understand how people can say a sculpture isnt art, but that garbage (And I literally do mean garbage, not in the opinion fashion but actual literal garbage) is art. It just makes no sense to me.
Was the statue actually sculpted by an artist?

I understand what you’re saying.

IMO, it's the same as “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”.

Personally, I don’t think Picassos’ stuff was art. So there ya go
You're right. It's completely subjective. There's no way you can have an evaluation for something to determine that's it's ALWAYS art or NEVER art. Art is an individualistic concept, as hippy as that sounds.

What do you consider most artistic, P?

I'd say Art is the higher expression of Man in creative works. This is why a cross in a jar of piss is not art. Nothing creative about it. Nothing high about it. No real work involved either. It may be a political expression. It may be an expression of hate for religion. It may be a protest. Or a sick joke. But it is not Art.

You're right. It's completely subjective. There's no way you can have an evaluation for something to determine that's it's ALWAYS art or NEVER art. Art is an individualistic concept, as hippy as that sounds.

What do you consider most artistic, P?

I’m art ignorant for the most part. I can’t tell a Van Gough from a NYC caricature (art).

I’ve always seen art as the ability, the talent, to realistically reproduce natural surroundings while capturing something special, a moment, a feeling or emotion, using a pen, pencil, paint, clay or stone. Michael Angelo and Norman Rockwell were artist, IMO. If that tells you anything about where I’m coming from regarding what is art.

But that’s just me, ultimately I guess art is what brings visual pleasure, a smile, awe or wonder to the viewer. Wonder not being wtf is that, but a, My god how wonderful, response.

I'd say Art is the higher expression of Man in creative works. This is why a cross in a jar of piss is not art. Nothing creative about it. Nothing high about it. No real work involved either. It may be a political expression. It may be an expression of hate for religion. It may be a protest. Or a sick joke. But it is not Art.

I majored in Graphic Design for 3 years, and we had many open-forum discussions about the definition of art. Of course, no one could ever come to a conclusion, because that might be invalidating someone else's ideas.

Yours is a good definition, IMO.

*understanding nod*

I see what you mean.

I was sorta kidding. My opinion of art is no more valid or important than anyone elses. It's just my view/ opinion of what ART is.

I do have a natural ability and strive for reality on the rare occasions I do anything. My goal has always been to make it “real” on paper. I think that has been an influence on my opinion also.

BTW...I think my talent is GOD given, and the most interesting thing for me is this..the best thing I've ever done was a portrait of Jesus, just from my mind, no pics or anything to look at. I gave it away.

I was sorta kidding. My opinion of art is no more valid or important than anyone elses. It's just my view/ opinion of what ART is.
I got it that you were kidding. My response was stereotypical of an art class discussion. Even if the person has a totally opposite opinion, you're still supposed to *nod understandingly* and "agree."

I do have a natural ability and strive for reality on the rare occasions I do anything. My goal has always been to make it “real” on paper. I think that has been an influence on my opinion also.

BTW...I think my talent is GOD given, and the most interesting thing for me is this..the best thing I've ever done was a portrait of Jesus, just from my mind, no pics or anything to look at. I gave it away.

Did you photograph it before you gave it away? I'd love to see it. :)

I got it that you were kidding. My response was stereotypical of an art class discussion. Even if the person has a totally opposite opinion, you're still supposed to *nod understandingly* and "agree."

Did you photograph it before you gave it away? I'd love to see it. :)

I wish I had..But no, shame on me, then again I was all of 18 at the time I think.:) The funny thing (for me anyway) is it was the only drawing I ever gave away like that.

Forum List

Back