What Have You Done?

View attachment 703229

Almost went through the eye of a hurricane at sea on one of these

*****SMILE*****

:)

Aug 13,1965-Sept 13, 1965 most of the 1st Cavalry Division left Charleston, SC, sailed thru the Panama Canal and on to Quy Nhon RVN. We were locked below deck for 3 days during a Cat 5 typhoon. I was aboard the Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner and that 3 days was a terrifying eternity.

Aug 13,1965-Sept 13, 1965 most of the 1st Cavalry Division left Charleston, SC, sailed thru the Panama Canal and on to Quy Nhon RVN. We were locked below deck for 3 days during a Cat 5 typhoon. I was aboard the Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner and that 3 days was a terrifying eternity.

I had a friend who served on the Bolivar. His name was Jim Bosse. Gosh, he died over 20 years ago...

I have been to Eastern Island.

Amazing~

1664508205558.png

Flashed John Holmes when he was in prison for murder.

Witnessed the execution of William Bonin.

Rode on the back of Sonny Barger's Harley.

Another war story. During the 13 day Cuban missile crisis, the 4th Infantry division mounted troop ships in Tacoma and headed south. We made port in San Diego and loaded on ammo and other ordinance. We then sailed to the Panama Canal and through on our way to Cuba. We arrived offshore right after dark and anchored. Next morning at dawn the ships were underway but we were headed back the way we came. Seems JFK had called Kruschchev's bluff and old Nikita chickened out.

Why do you disagree abu afak ? There's nothing I said you could disagree with.

My cousin ,me and some black kids while swimming in a shallow creek grabbed an alligator by the tail and had it drag us through the shallow water. Wasn't the smartest thing I have done either.

Last edited:
Another war story. During the 13 day Cuban missile crisis, the 4th Infantry division mounted troop ships in Tacoma and headed south. We made port in San Diego and loaded on ammo and other ordinance. We then sailed to the Panama Canal and through on our way to Cuba. We arrived offshore right after dark and anchored. Next morning at dawn the ships were underway but we were headed back the way we came.

Wow, talk about 6 degrees.
A couple years ago we were In Minneapolis for a 1st Cav reunion. I went out on the hotel veranda smoking area and sat near a young lady who was talking to her friend. I listened for a while and when she finished I asked her what part of Tennessee she was from. She said Maryville and how do you know I'm from Tennessee? I told her she sounded just like a buddy I had in 1957-60 who was from Maryville, name of Jimmy Strickland. She said, Oh my God, that's my uncle. My wife told her "I remember Jimmy and you do sound like him."

These things happen to me all the time.

Forum List

Back