What has caused our global warming?

Abraham3

Rookie
Aug 1, 2012
Attribution of recent climate change - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Attribution of recent climate change is the effort to scientifically ascertain mechanisms responsible for recent changes observed in the Earth's climate. The effort has focused on changes observed during the period of instrumental temperature record, when records are most reliable; particularly on the last 50 years, when human activity has grown fastest and observations of the troposphere have become available."

The three dominant factors affecting the Earth's temperature are the dramatically increased levels of greenhouse gases, the changes to the surface from deforestation and melting snow and ice, and the presence of aerosols from various natural and synthetic (ie, anthropogenic) sources.

ibid

"Multiple lines of evidence support attribution of recent climate change to human activities:[4]
o A basic physical understanding of the climate system: greenhouse gas concentrations have increased and their warming properties are well-established.[4]
o Historical estimates of past climate changes suggest that the recent changes in global surface temperature are unusual.[4]
o Computer-based climate models are unable to replicate the observed warming unless human greenhouse gas emissions are included.[4]
o Natural forces alone (such as solar and volcanic activity) cannot explain the observed warming.
[4]"

Reference 4 is US EPA, OAR, Climate Change Division (December 2009), Endangerment and Cause or Contribute Findings for Greenhouse Gases under Section 202(a) of the Clean Air Act: Climate Change: US EPA (PDF), Press release: EPA's Final Endangerment Finding: Climate Change Facts. Docket ID EPA-HQ-OAR-2009-0171.

Here's an interesting graphic. This is the output of a COMPUTER MODEL (ALERT, all you deniers get your hackles up). The model summed the noted forcing factors (solar, volcanic, sulfates, ozone and greenhouse gases) to come up with a total forcing. This is shown against the observed temperature trend (note the decent fit those of you that keep screaming the models don't work).

Climate_Change_Attribution.png

Numerous lines of evidence connect these factors to human activities and these factors to the observed temperature increases. It may be difficult to proceed beyond this point, however, as unlike the deniers here, all the reasonable, objective articles on this topic assume that global warming has been taking place and that the Greenhouse Effect is real. Lacking agreement on those points from a number of the folks around here is quite a wrench in the works. However, we (the folks who accept mainstream science) have spent far more than enough time attempting to convince the deniers here of the reality of these two points. I intend to proceed as if the audience here had reasonable intelligence and will treat global warming and the Greenhouse Effect as established facts, whether or not the audience concurs. I will do my best not to get drawn off debating whether or not the sun will rise tomorrow.

Human activity: the combustion of fossil fuels and deforestation are the primary cause of the global warming we have experienced over the last 150 years. That warming presents a real threat to the human species.

Last edited:
Coal-fired electric generating plants can be constructed to best-mitigation standards.

Rather than pursue this end, Obama has chosen to expedite the demise of the entire coal industry and the tens of thousands of jobs that go with it. Why would this black Democrat meet a challenge head-on when he can simply relegate it to oblivion with a stroke of his pen?

Fuck... that... mother... fucker.

Ever looked up to see that big, warm, yellow thingamajig in the daytime sky?

I hear it told that it is 99.5% of the total mass of the entire solar system.

When it changes, we change.

Look it up. It's in the graph. TSI data is available many places. It simply has not provided enough excess energy to come anywhere NEAR the amount of warming we've experienced. Why do you think FlaCalTenn had to hypothesize some magical 30 year, non-linear, non-thermal (and so far completely, by-him-uncharacterized) delay mechanism in order to build up enough forcing to suddenly push temperatures up?

And, really, do you really think that out of thousands of PhD climate scientists, not one thought to check the sun?

nobody references Wikkipedia and gets taken seriously s0n!!!

That argument is logically identical with the argument which says "I don't have an argument so I'm going to give my usual WHIIIIIIINE.

Like ALL your "arguments".

Coal-fired electric generating plants can be constructed to best-mitigation standards.

What "best mitigation standards"? Show us proof that a coal fired plant can be built with zero GHG output.

Fuck... that... mother... fucker.

Your past comments would indicate that you likely have a poor opinion of President Obama that has nothing to do with his actions or goals if office, his political positions or his record. Your past comments would indicate that ANY criticism you voice towards the president has a great deal more to do with the color of his skin than anything else. If I were you, I'd simply stop making them as everyone here simply assumes they are the product of your bigotry.

And I still want to see the proof.

Wikipedia is one of the best parts of the internet. A ton of knowledge that is easy to find in one spot ;)

Legitimate institutions of education dissuade their student from using it as a source.

But then you don't believe in education do you?

They do. But, we're not an educational institution, are we. Wikipedia has been demonstrated to be at least as accurate as the Encyclopedia Britannica.

This isn't a intuition of education? right...

Ya nothing says source like a site that allows ANYONE to make changes to the articles.

Tell you what Gunny. Go open Wikipedia to ANY article you like. I don't care if it's the most innocuous article they've got, that NO ONE cares about. And you try to change it and see what happens. Make sure you get back here and let us know what happens.

Forum List

Back