Zone1 What did Jesus mean by this?

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Matthew 15:

21 Then Jesus went thence, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon.

22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.

23 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
This story takes me back to Jesus' temptations in the desert: Make bread out of stones, impress the entire world, throw himself off a spire and land safely.

I've read that the journey to Tyre and Sidon may have been not to spread the Gospel, but rather a well-earned break. If Jesus started doing miracles outside of Israel, he would become well-known in those places and outsiders would begin flocking to him. His fame would grow.

Imagine Jesus in prayer over this (the reason he wasn't answering her). Was he being called to help her, or was it a temptation of Satan's? Was it a test?

If Jesus started doing miracles outside of Israel (Judea), he would become well-known in those places and outsiders would begin flocking to him. His fame would grow.
Actually, that's what happened.

The same thing he meant when he called Gentiles dogs<(wild cur)
He came to the Jews, not the Gentiles. He ended up grafting Gentiles into the Jewish line because of a Gentile woman's faith in Him.

Mark 7:26-27 reads, “He [Jesus] replied, ‘It is not right to take the children’s bread [the favor being applied to the house of Israel] and toss it to their dogs [the Gentiles].’ ‘Yes, Lord,’ she [the Canaanite woman] said, ‘but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.’”

Matthew 15:

22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.

23 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

- never was spoken by jesus and makes no sense even for the 4th century christian bible.

jesus was sent to repudiate the fallacies of judaism as were the events of the 1st century the same - heavenly inspired.

Matthew 15:

Similar to Matthew 8:10, he is impressed with the faith in him by the Gentiles.

He was meant for “Israel”, to fulfill the scriptures and promise for a redeemer and bring about a New Covenant.

Of course “Israel” then became those who follow Jesus: Christians. That is how Gentiles are meant to be saved. So he does this woman a favor just as he did for the centurion because they had faith in him, but he was not sent just to perform some miracles or exorcising demons. They would truly be saved when he died on the cross for their sins and opened the door to heaven and setup the New Covenant to be a part of the new and true “Israel”.

Jesus taught that the first shall be last and last shall be first. At first the gospel was to go unto the Jews and then unto the Gentiles. In these latter-days the gospel was to go unto the Gentiles first and then to the Jews. Jesus at first was sent to the House of Israel which include the Jews during his mortal ministry. But in the last days since the church and gospel has been restored, the gospel was to first go unto the Gentiles and then unto the Jews.

Last edited:
- never was spoken by jesus and makes no sense even for the 4th century christian bible.
History shows that it made perfect sense. Jesus was sent to preach the gospel to the Israelites living in Samaria (Matthew 4:12-17). The disciples carried the work on into Europe. The church was founded on those descendants of Israel. Even the descendants of Benjamin were converted.

Last edited:
At first the gospel was to go unto the Jews and then unto the Gentiles.

you have no idea the true events of the 1st century or the true nature of the itinerant pacifist, jesus.

were those that were fed to the lions - jews - nor were they 4th century christians - they were foremost a refutation of judaism as a religion there was not by them a rebellion against rome, jesus was never a jew ...

I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

History shows that it made perfect sense. Jesus was sent to preach the gospel to the Israelites living in Samaria (Matthew 4:12-17). The disciples carried the work on into Europe. The church was founded on those descendants of Israel. Even the descendants of Benjamin were converted.

no it was not, only in your 4th century self serving - book - nor prior to the jews the least consideration than their own fortuitous personification and nothing of heavenly contrition whatsoever than for anyone so equally possessed as - nutz.

One noteworthy aspect is that Jewish Rabbis did not talk to women in those days. Also Canaanites were considered historical enemies of Jews, so the passages don't necessarily mean all Gentiles.

Last edited:

One noteworthy aspect is that Jewish Rabbis did not talk to women in those days. Also Canaanites were considered historical enemies of Jews, so the passages don't necessarily mean all Gentiles.
Actually, she addressed Jesus as "Lord", not Rabbi.

Forum List

Back