What Cultural and Environmental Issues should be improved to help Blacks?

What are some realistic and affordable solutions to the current problems?

Education, parenting skills, and law abidingbness seem like a good place to start.

Perhaps we could try to stay positive.

I agree, but I will also add that the above is a good formula for people of all 'races'. I know PLENTY of people from many different races that have not achieved the above. :)

I agree that those areas are important for everybody, not just blacks. do you think there is the same rate of inculcating middleclass values in the so-called black community? the recipe for success is fairly well known, eg marriage before kids, earning before spending, lawfulness, etc. is there anyway of convincing more people to follow the recipe? Ogbu found that a lot of black youth dismissed many old fashioned ideas as 'acting white'. can we get past that?

I really don't know. Here are the poverty rates Poverty Rate by Race/Ethnicity - Kaiser State Health Facts it shows that 35% of blacks are in poverty, 33% of Hispanics are in poverty, and 13% of whites are in poverty. The 35 and 33 percent are high numbers, but in my opinion it also indicates that it' a minority of those ethnic groups who are in poverty. The majority are out of poverty. I agree that "marriage before kids, earning before spending, lawfulness", is a problem in minority communities. Marriage and wedlock is a personal issue. If they make a baby, PAY for the baby and educate the baby. The government shouldn't have to raise and pay for anyone's (able bodied and mind) child, if they do pay then it shouldn't be a handout, it should be a loan. A lot of people spend on credit and put themselves in a hole. Hopefully they will learn their lesson. Lawfulness or lack thereof should be addressed. If a person commits a violent felony, throw the fucking book at them and teach them a lesson, if it's some 'drug possession' or lesser felony, give them a chance to set their lives on a proper track and course with the threat of jail hanging over their heads if they fuck up again. It's hard for an ex-con to find work if they have that as a record.

I agree, but I will also add that the above is a good formula for people of all 'races'. I know PLENTY of people from many different races that have not achieved the above. :)

I agree that those areas are important for everybody, not just blacks. do you think there is the same rate of inculcating middleclass values in the so-called black community? the recipe for success is fairly well known, eg marriage before kids, earning before spending, lawfulness, etc. is there anyway of convincing more people to follow the recipe? Ogbu found that a lot of black youth dismissed many old fashioned ideas as 'acting white'. can we get past that?

I really don't know. Here are the poverty rates Poverty Rate by Race/Ethnicity - Kaiser State Health Facts it shows that 35% of blacks are in poverty, 33% of Hispanics are in poverty, and 13% of whites are in poverty. The 35 and 33 percent are high numbers, but in my opinion it also indicates that it' a minority of those ethnic groups who are in poverty. The majority are out of poverty. I agree that "marriage before kids, earning before spending, lawfulness", is a problem in minority communities. Marriage and wedlock is a personal issue. If they make a baby, PAY for the baby and educate the baby. The government shouldn't have to raise and pay for anyone's (able bodied and mind) child, if they do pay then it shouldn't be a handout, it should be a loan. A lot of people spend on credit and put themselves in a hole. Hopefully they will learn their lesson. Lawfulness or lack thereof should be addressed. If a person commits a violent felony, throw the fucking book at them and teach them a lesson, if it's some 'drug possession' or lesser felony, give them a chance to set their lives on a proper track and course with the threat of jail hanging over their heads if they fuck up again. It's hard for an ex-con to find work if they have that as a record.

I dont know how to transform culture in a positive direction either. unfortunately most of the govt initiatives have proven counter productive due to unintended consequences.

I dont know how to transform culture in a positive direction either. unfortunately most of the govt initiatives have proven counter productive due to unintended consequences.

Maybe we can start teaching right and wrong again? Teaching boys to be held accountable for once.

Everything has turned into a freaking joke.

A large percentage of the black community involves ignorant people, primarily women, raising babies/kids/children in the same manner in which they were raised, so it's a cycle that just repeats from one generation to the next one on and on.

In your opinion, how can that cycle be broken?

Only from within. Non-blacks telling ignorant black men to keep their zippers up and ignorant black women to keep their knees together will simply be scoffed at as whitey sticking his nose where it doesn't belong.

Educated successful blacks are the only answer but they're frowned upon from within as Uncle Toms, selling out for acting white, etc. How they can ever break through that racism I haven't a clue. But the vast vast majority of blacks, now and future generations, are screwed until some movement figures out a way.

It should be priority number 1 but that's not what you hear from the usual cabal of race pimps. To them it's always the lack of more money for this or that and never being accountable and responsible for one's own actions. Lock those clowns up for starters would me my suggestion.

Agreed on all, but the last sentence. There's already enough black men in prison so I really don't think that answer will fly as a solid way to improve their plight. They'll do the time, get out, do something stupid and get locked up again. Rinse and repeat. Not a real viable solution.

I agree, that's why I choose to focus on the individual, it's a lot easier that way. :) The government initiatives would work better if they were made temporary for the individuals and the individuals would have to pay those benefits back at a low interest rate once they got on their feet.

In your opinion, how can that cycle be broken?

Only from within. Non-blacks telling ignorant black men to keep their zippers up and ignorant black women to keep their knees together will simply be scoffed at as whitey sticking his nose where it doesn't belong.

Educated successful blacks are the only answer but they're frowned upon from within as Uncle Toms, selling out for acting white, etc. How they can ever break through that racism I haven't a clue. But the vast vast majority of blacks, now and future generations, are screwed until some movement figures out a way.

It should be priority number 1 but that's not what you hear from the usual cabal of race pimps. To them it's always the lack of more money for this or that and never being accountable and responsible for one's own actions. Lock those clowns up for starters would me my suggestion.

Agreed on all, but the last sentence. There's already enough black men in prison so I really don't think that answer will fly as a solid way to improve their plight. They'll do the time, get out, do something stupid and get locked up again. Rinse and repeat. Not a real viable solution.

How do we charge this? I'm thinking it should be required in our schools to teach our children right and wrong. This should be drilled into one's head that being a good person is just as important as anything. The first 6 years of one's education should be spent time every day focussed on this.

Being a father=good
Helping people=good

We allow our children to become these monsters through ignoring it.

Secondly, We need to require economics.

Last edited:

I agree, that's why I choose to focus on the individual, it's a lot easier that way. :) The government initiatives would work better if they were made temporary for the individuals and the individuals would have to pay those benefits back at a low interest rate once they got on their feet.

I dont know if it would be cost effective trying to recoup the monies paid out but I certainly agree that affirmative action type programs should be activated by individual merit rather than the racial quotas that seem to be in place. (yes, I know quotas are illegal but it is exactly like a quota system)

affirmative action should be a tie breaker for the minority. perhaps a small boost in qualifications on the order of 1/4 standard deviation. that way there would not be the obvious deficits in minority hires or school placements.

edit- poverty rates are often intrinsically linked to intelligence. low IQ individuals are predicted to be poor, by a more robust correlation than poor people are predicted to have low IQ. there are not a lot of options out there for IQ<80 people

Last edited:
a friend of ours son was a discipline problem both in and out of school. The father was in the habit of blaming everyone else for his son's behavior.

Many parents act more like their child's friend and lawyer when there is an issue when they get in trouble at school or in the community.

Parents are forever going into the school and blaming the teachers and they are mostly white, so IMO bad and ineffective parenting has no color associated with it.

a friend of ours son was a discipline problem both in and out of school. The father was in the habit of blaming everyone else for his son's behavior.

Many parents act more like their child's friend and lawyer when there is an issue when they get in trouble at school or in the community.

Parents are forever going into the school and blaming the teachers and they are mostly white, so IMO bad and ineffective parenting has no color associated with it.

That needs to change. Our parents and educational system should work harder towards making a good human being.

Education is great, but there's a little more than that.

How do we charge this? I'm thinking it should be required in our schools to teach our children right and wrong. This should be drilled into one's head that being a good person is just as important as anything. The first 6 years of one's education should be spent time every day focussed on this.

Being a father=good
Helping people=good

Two problems as I see it. One, children should be taught right and wrong at home; it's a parental responsibility. That said, if it's not being done at home I guess the logical fallback position is to try (more on that) it at school, but that would infringe on the educational curriculum the teachers are supposed to be dealing with in the classroom. Two, children won't learn, don't learn, a thing in school if they don't show up with the attitude that they're there to learn and willing to do the work it requires. Sadly, like right and wrong, that too is not being instilled in them at home. The vast vast majority of black kids in inner city schools simply show up because they're required to, not to take advantage of the educational opportunity. Layer in the behavior many of them bring with them and the adult in the classroom spends as much time or more refereeing than they do actually trying to teach.

Education, parenting skills, and law abidingbness seem like a good place to start.

What's that old saying? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
Like alcoholics or junkies, until the black community, and blacks as individuals, decide to change their situation, no amount of money, compassion, or legislation will make change happen.

Why do we have to help blacks.? That's just more racism and special treatment. Do we help the asians.? I'm sick of these stupid blacks who can't make it on their own.

[

Two problems as I see it. One, children should be taught right and wrong at home; it's a parental responsibility. .

But there is no consensus on what's right or wrong. Abortion? Half say good half say bad. Same with affirmative action and the death penalty and letting illegals stay and every other issue. You absolutists live in a dream world.

affirmative action should be a tie breaker for the minority. perhaps a small boost in qualifications on the order of 1/4 standard deviation.

Slippery slope. AA has to end period. We need a color-blind society and then let the chips fall where they may.

If whites are so evil and racist, why do asians do so well here.?

[

Part of the reason so many blacks are in prison is because of our racist drug laws. Victimless crack possession gets you 10 years while a super-violent (and popular with whites) drug crime like drunk driving seldom results in prison time

Maybe an eugenics program where we sterilize all afros with IQs below 100? Or, skin darker than ivory? ('cause that gets ugly)

We already have a eugenics program for blacks - welfare. We give stupid blacks financial incentives to have lots of kids!!!

Being a father=good
Helping people=good

Two problems as I see it. One, children should be taught right and wrong at home; it's a parental responsibility. That said, if it's not being done at home I guess the logical fallback position is to try (more on that) it at school, but that would infringe on the educational curriculum the teachers are supposed to be dealing with in the classroom. Two, children won't learn, don't learn, a thing in school if they don't show up with the attitude that they're there to learn and willing to do the work it requires. Sadly, like right and wrong, that too is not being instilled in them at home. The vast vast majority of black kids in inner city schools simply show up because they're required to, not to take advantage of the educational opportunity. Layer in the behavior many of them bring with them and the adult in the classroom spends as much time or more refereeing than they do actually trying to teach.

Yeah, spot on there.

It all begins at home and that responsibility falls on the parents. Here's the thing though, a lot of these inner city families are broken homes really made up of single-mother, single-father (very rarely), or extended-family units. You're not going to see a family with a kid or 2 and both parents still around in the South Side of Chicago or Detroit's West side. I think that is at the root of this problem. Raising kids on your own without the help of a partner or family is very tough work. Some mothers handle it the right way and their kids grow up to be extremely successful, further more some mothers handle it the right way and despite this, the kid grows up to be a cancer on society. The common denominator here is that these single-parents feel like their afloat with no lifeboat to save them or no rock to lean on when times get tough. That rock is supposed to be family, but with some we may even see this exact same single-parent dynamic play out multiples times within one family so instead of one stranded single-parent, you end up with many who are all suffering on their own when they really don't have to if they just reached out to each other. There could a plethora of reasons why that doesn't happen.

So how can that change? Well there's not one answer to this problem, but there is one constant in poor black neighborhoods: There's a pervasive sense of helplessness. The start would be by letting these families know they don't have to suffer alone. Give them a rock to lean on in hard times (not to rely on) and they'll most likely use that to springboard themselves into a better position to bring up their children the right way. The fine line that must be walked here is that this must be a "rock" and not a "safety net". For many of these neighborhoods...these rocks could easily be the local church or a YMCA or some type of community center or food drive shelter. When a single parent has one or 2 less things to worry about....that weight off their shoulders incredible to see and they will often relay that to their children who in turn have happier memories that they can use to take them in the right directions.

As I see it, the worst problem facing the black community is that 72% of children are now born out-of-wedlock. The black family, the one-time cornerstone of the black community along with the black church, has crumbled and is headed almost for extinction. We absolutely KNOW without a doubt that a child raised simply by their mother has a 75% GREATER chance of being involved in drugs and crime. This child has a 40% GREATER chance of dropping out of high school. We also know that if a child just graduates high school, then they have a 60% greater chance of living out of poverty than those who drop out. If that child graduates college, then that chance climbs to over 90%.

Unfortunately, the only thing I can say is that the welfare state has done to the black family that which slavery and oppression could not. Despite all of the attempts by the KKK and Jim Crow, the liberals with their misplaced "compassion" has shown an entire group of people that since they were discriminated against horribly, all they had to do was; literally nothing and they would be paid for it. Instead of doing nothing, the black community should have looked at the Native Americans as an example and said "No thank you." They should have worked harder, not less. They should have made education a corner stone of their community and strived for rights of the individual, not relied on misplaced 'group affilitation' rights such as affirmative action. We all know that affirmative action is another well-meaning 'liberal' program that rationalizes lower standards and does NOT require parity. Affirmative action does NOT raise the bar, it lowers it to the common denominator.

It is NOT a far stretch to say that this nation was partially built on the backs of slaves and freed slaves. However, it is also not a far stretch to say that the absolute WORST enemy that the black community has is the liberal white apologists which today takes the form of the Democratic party. Yet, like the Native American, the black man has embraced the very thing that has reduced his community to a violent and drug-filled charade. Blacks kill blacks. Blacks steal from blacks. Blacks sell drugs to blacks. Some blacks see what it is doing to their community and they scream for change. But because getting 'free stuff' is easy, change is hard.

In New York a small tribe of Native Americans wrote to the Bureau of Indian Affairs and told them that they no longer wanted the money given by the Congress. That they were tired of being adicted to this so-called 'stipend.' They brought in outside advisors who showed them how to build businesses and work with the community. Teenage pregnancy, alcoholism and drug abuse were literally attacked. You want help from the tribe, then you had to do certain things. Schools were strengthened and truancy was enforced. Today, after only 10 years, this tribe is the RICHEST tribe in the nation. There are less than a thousand of them and they routinely tell other tribes that you can succeed, BUT you must cut the umbilical cord first.

The black community can do this as well... but it will take someone as gifted as MLK to communicate that. Until then, all you can do is stand by and watch... And Chicago burns...

A large percentage of the black community involves ignorant people, primarily women, raising babies/kids/children in the same manner in which they were raised, so it's a cycle that just repeats from one generation to the next one on and on.

White trash do that too.

Forum List

Back