Help me make a top 10 most overrated list of blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
1# George Washington Carver-NO NOT PEANUT BUTTER AS KELLOG AND THE MAYANS DID THAT! "Discovered" hundreds of new and important uses for the peanut? Fathered the peanut industry? Revolutionized southern US agriculture? Nope.
Research by Barry Mackintosh, who served as bureau historian for the National Park Service (which manages the G.W. Carver National Monument), demonstrated the following:
• Most of Carver's peanut and sweet potato creations were either unoriginal, impractical, or of uncertain effectiveness. No product born in his laboratory was widely adopted.
• The boom years for Southern peanut production came prior to, and not as a result of, Carver's promotion of the crop.
• Carver's work to improve regional farming practices was not of pioneering scientific importance and had little demonstrable impact.

2# Elijah McCoy-The oil cup, which automatically delivers a steady trickle of lubricant to machine parts while the machine is running, predates McCoy's career; a description of one appears in the May 6, 1848 issue of Scientific American. The automatic "displacement lubricator" for steam engines was developed in 1860 by John Ramsbottom of England, and notably improved in 1862 by James Roscoe of the same country. The "hydrostatic" lubricator originated no later than 1871.
Variants of the phrase Real McCoy appear in Scottish literature dating back to at least 1856 — well before Elijah McCoy could have been involved.

3# Lewis Latimer-The earliest evidence for a light bulb screw base design is a drawing in a Thomas Edison notebook dated Sept. 11, 1880. It is not the work of Latimer, though:
Edison's long-time associates, Edward H. Johnson and John Ott, were principally responsible for designing fixtures in the fall of 1880. Their work resulted in the screw socket and base very much like those widely used today.
R. Friedel and P. Israel, Edison's Electric Light: Biography of an Invention, (New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers Univ. Press, 1986).
The 1880 sketch of the screw socket is reproduced in the book cited above.

4# Greenville Woods- Granville Woods prevented railway accidents and saved countless lives by inventing the train telegraph (patented in 1887), which allowed communication to and from moving trains? Nope.
The earliest patents for train telegraphs go back to at least 1873. Lucius Phelps was the first inventor in the field to attract widespread notice, and the telegrams he exchanged on the New York, New Haven & Hartford railroad in January 1885 were hailed in the Feb. 21, 1885 issue of Scientific American as "perhaps the first ever sent to and from a moving train." Phelps remained at the forefront in developing the technology and by the end of 1887 already held 14 US patents on his system. He joined a team led by Thomas Edison, who had been working on his "grasshopper telegraph" for trains, and together they constructed on the Lehigh Valley Railroad one of the only induction telegraph systems ever put to commercial use. Although this telegraph was a technical success, it fulfilled no public need, and the market for on-board train telegraphy never took off. There is no evidence that any commercial railway telegraph based on Granville Woods's patents was ever built.
Air breaks
In 1869, a 22-year-old George Westinghouse received US patent #88929 for a brake device operated by compressed air, and in the same year organized the Westinghouse Air Brake Company. Many of the 361 patents he accumulated during his career were for air brake variations and improvements, including his first "automatic" version in 1872 (US #124404).
====

Please help me with 6 more overrated blacks!!! Of course nearly all blacks are overrated, but I want good ones.

More scientist, Inventors, explorers. Is what I want.

How can MLK Jr. not be #1 on the list of over-rated afros? A dishonest, womanizing race hustler who did nothing but give speeches that someone else wrote, yet he's treated as the greatest human of all time in public schools.

How about giving all afro "inventors" the slot of #2?

All afro academics should get #3. PhD in Afro studies? Ha! That's a PhD in worthless bullshit.

All afro actors for #4. When an Afro walks onto the screen, I know I'm going to hear either Ebonics and vulgarity or stilted English as they struggle to deliver the lines a white person wrote.

All afros in college for #5. When there's practically no standards for afro admission in college, college for an afro is a non-accomplishment.

Forget it. Let's just say all afros are over-rated if they're thought of as more than a piece of shit. Worthless animals, they are.

I'll add one more!

5# Dr. Charles Drew- Dr. Charles Drew in 1940? Nope.
During World War I, Dr. Oswald H. Robertson of the US army preserved blood in a citrate-glucose solution and stored it in cooled containers for later transfusion. This was the first use of "banked" blood. By the mid-1930s the Russians had set up a national network of facilities for the collection, typing, and storage of blood. Bernard Fantus, influenced by the Russian program, established the first hospital blood bank in the United States at Chicago's Cook County Hospital in 1937. It was Fantus who coined the term "blood bank."

Oswald Hope Robertson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ASBP: Robertson Blood Center, Fort Hood

Bernard Fantus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did Charles Drew "discover" (in about 1940) that plasma could be separated and stored apart from the rest of the blood, thereby revolutionizing transfusion medicine? Nope.

The possibility of using blood plasma for transfusion purposes was known at least since 1918, when English physician Gordon R. Ward suggested it in a medical journal. In the mid-1930s, John Elliott advanced the idea, emphasizing plasma's advantages in shelf life and donor-recipient compatibility, and in 1939 he and two colleagues reported having used stored plasma in 191 transfusions. Charles Drew was not responsible for any breakthrough scientific or medical discovery; his main career achievement lay in supervising or co-supervising major programs for the collection and shipment of blood and plasma.
-----

It's funny how you people don't give a damn about the truth. How sad.

I'll add one more!

5# Dr. Charles Drew- Dr. Charles Drew in 1940? Nope.
During World War I, Dr. Oswald H. Robertson of the US army preserved blood in a citrate-glucose solution and stored it in cooled containers for later transfusion. This was the first use of "banked" blood. By the mid-1930s the Russians had set up a national network of facilities for the collection, typing, and storage of blood. Bernard Fantus, influenced by the Russian program, established the first hospital blood bank in the United States at Chicago's Cook County Hospital in 1937. It was Fantus who coined the term "blood bank."

Oswald Hope Robertson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ASBP: Robertson Blood Center, Fort Hood

Bernard Fantus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did Charles Drew "discover" (in about 1940) that plasma could be separated and stored apart from the rest of the blood, thereby revolutionizing transfusion medicine? Nope.

The possibility of using blood plasma for transfusion purposes was known at least since 1918, when English physician Gordon R. Ward suggested it in a medical journal. In the mid-1930s, John Elliott advanced the idea, emphasizing plasma's advantages in shelf life and donor-recipient compatibility, and in 1939 he and two colleagues reported having used stored plasma in 191 transfusions. Charles Drew was not responsible for any breakthrough scientific or medical discovery; his main career achievement lay in supervising or co-supervising major programs for the collection and shipment of blood and plasma.
-----

It's funny how you people don't give a damn about the truth. How sad.

I made a comment on another thread that exaggerated claims do a disservice to blacks that actually deserve much respect for their work and leadership. Drew was worthy of praise no matter what his colour. unfortunately claims of inventing blood banks and stored plasma are inaccurate, as is the claim that he died from being turned away from a white hospital. because it is easy to dismiss those claims it is also easy to ignore the good work he actually did.

I love an honest Republican. You can talk to them. You know where they are coming from.

Rosa Parks. virtual sainthood for a rather mundane act.

Disagree completely.

It's mundane for us now because it's a non-factor today. It was anything but 50 years ago.

perhaps. but I dont see a body of work there. I see one act (choreographed?) that turned her into the poster of civil rights. should she have been newsworthy? no doubt. but should she have been famous? Im not so sure.

Rosa Parks. virtual sainthood for a rather mundane act.

Disagree completely.

It's mundane for us now because it's a non-factor today. It was anything but 50 years ago.

perhaps. but I dont see a body of work there. I see one act (choreographed?) that turned her into the poster of civil rights. should she have been newsworthy? no doubt. but should she have been famous? Im not so sure.

Well I see your point originally, but we have to separate the person with the act if we're going to discuss something like this. Mrs. Parks herself was a quiet, reserved woman who didn't really go looking for fame or recognition. I think that rules out the choreography angle.

As for the act itself...I don't think she sat down knowing that she would cause as much trouble as she did. She'd worked the whole day, and didn't feel like going to the back, so she sat in the nearest seat available. There is indeed nothing remarkable about doing that nowadays for blacks, but in '55? That seen a direct challenge to white authority, regardless of whether she meant it or not and it could not go unanswered. That's what makes it rather remarkable because it got a lot more answers and even more attention than anyone could anticipated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back