What CAN'T the federal government require you to purchase?

They are not purchasing medicare.

They are paying a tax to fund a government program

so, is that what you see as the difference?

would it have been better for the gvt to make this a mandatory gvt handled plan, and just taxed us all for it?

btw, i am AGAINST the mandate but i don't see it as illegal or something they can not necessarily do....

The government has never to my knowledge required under threat of taxes, property confiscation and imprisonment citizens to purchase a product and they never should be able to.

If the government can force you to buy an insurance policy then it can force you to buy anything.

And yes if this was a government program that everyone was taxed to fund, it would be within the government power to do. Not that I want that but it would at least be completely legal.
If you cheat on your taxes you can be imprisoned. Otherwise, no.

“With this law, the federal government will force citizens to buy health insurance, claiming it has the authority to do so because of its power to regulate interstate commerce,” Cuccinelli said.

Don't these fucking morons realize that the federal government already requires citizens purchase medicare? You don't think the Justices who hear this crap are going to get a laugh when they ask the question "Where the fuck was your whining in 1965 when Medicare got passed" ?

Bullshit.

Paying taxes is not the equivalent of being force to buy a product or service from a private company.

The Commerce Clause only allows for regulation of the activities of commerce - it doesn't allow the government to force inactive parties to engage in commerce.

Are people compelled to purchase Medicaire or is it an option that most people use?

They are required to purchase it if they work....it is mandatory and the taxes are taken out for such, whether they agree to it or not.

Are you implying this is NOT the case?

For crying out loud, its call the Federal Insurance Contributions Act - YES YOU ARE BEING FORCED TO BUY DISABILITY, MEDICAL, AND RETIREMENT INSURANCE WHEN YOU PAY FICA.

“With this law, the federal government will force citizens to buy health insurance, claiming it has the authority to do so because of its power to regulate interstate commerce,” Cuccinelli said.

Don't these fucking morons realize that the federal government already requires citizens purchase medicare? You don't think the Justices who hear this crap are going to get a laugh when they ask the question "Where the fuck was your whining in 1965 when Medicare got passed" ?

They deduct Medicare from the friggin check they send you.
The check ought to read "Bank of China" on it.
Name one person that does not have his Medicare premium deducted from his check BEFORE they get it.

Anyone who is paid as a contract employee.

Bullshit.

Paying taxes is not the equivalent of being force to buy a product or service from a private company.

The Republicans didn't want people to have the option of being forced to buy it from the government, so why don't you bitch to them ?

The Commerce Clause only allows for regulation of the activities of commerce - it doesn't allow the government to force inactive parties to engage in commerce.

They aren't forcing anyone to do anything. They are imposing a tax. Just like tobacco taxes do not force anyone to not smoke.

That part of the bill is unconstitutional.

No it isn't. Its an income tax levied under authority of the 16th amendment.

NO it is the penalty for the non-compliance of a mandate.

Grow a pair and admit the ridiculousness of your position and what it amounts to and tell me that is a level of power the federal government is allowed.

YOUR INTERPRETATION MEANS THAT GOVERNMENT CAN MANDATE WHATEVER IT WANTS AS LONG AS THE PENALTY FOR NON COMPLIANCE OF THE MANDATE IS A TAX. PERIOD.

They are required to purchase it if they work....it is mandatory and the taxes are taken out for such, whether they agree to it or not.

Are you implying this is NOT the case?

would it have been better for the gvt to make this a mandatory gvt handled plan, and just taxed us all for it?

btw, i am AGAINST the mandate but i don't see it as illegal or something they can not necessarily do....

Then answer my original question care. If you believe government has the constitutional authority to require citizens to make private purchases, what CAN'T they make you purchase?

I still have yet to receive a reasonable answer to this in light of the passage of the health care bill.

One person (spiderman) tried to weasel it into be constitutional under the 16th ammendment 'rationalizing' that since government is granted the power to tax income they can make requirements of the peope as long as they levy an income tax penalty for non-compliance. That of course is rather ludicrous.

The Constitution defines the powers of government. It says nothing about forcing individuals to engage in commerce with other individuals or companies.

The Commerce Clause (Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3) says:

[The Congress shall have power] To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian tribes;

Note - nothing about individuals being forced into activity when they would prefer to not engage.

If the government is going to force us all to buy insurance I want the government tio force all the fat fucks out there to join a gym and prove to an IRS agent that they work out for an hour a day or else be taxed.

That's great, then run for office on that platform.

And unfortunately if such a mandate were passed YOU would be forced to argue it is constitutional under your interpretation. After all as long as they just collect a tax if you don't they could mandate that you must hit the gym 3 times a week, right?

If the government is going to force us all to buy insurance I want the government tio force all the fat fucks out there to join a gym and prove to an IRS agent that they work out for an hour a day or else be taxed.

I want the fucking government to force all those fat fucks who eat Twinkies, Oreos, fast food etc to prove they do not eat any of that shit or else be taxed.

If I'm subsidizing you health care I want my money's worth.

And there you have it.

Socialized medicine turns a Nanny State into a Bully State.

I agree with you - if I am paying for a Fat Fatty's health care, I have every right to scold said person if I see him eating a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese and a Super Size Fries. But I don't like it. I'd rather not be concerned about other people's personal decisions on how to live their private lives.

Then answer my original question care. If you believe government has the constitutional authority to require citizens to make private purchases, what CAN'T they make you purchase?

bibles

The Republicans didn't want people to have the option of being forced to buy it from the government, so why don't you bitch to them ?

Why - because I don't believe the government has the right to force anyone to buy anything against their will just because they are alive in America.

They aren't forcing anyone to do anything. They are imposing a tax. Just like tobacco taxes do not force anyone to not smoke.

No - it's a fine. A fine for not being willing to buy a service from a company.

That is way beyond the scope of the Commerce Clause, and it is Unconstitutional.

bibles

touche. Anything else?

Why - because I don't believe the government has the right to force anyone to buy anything against their will just because they are alive in America.

It doesn't matter what you believe.

No - it's a fine. A fine for not being willing to buy a service from a company.

That is way beyond the scope of the Commerce Clause, and it is Unconstitutional.

Alright Supreme Court Justice boedica.

It doesn't matter what you believe.

Yet another cogent argument for the board intellectual neophyte spiderman.

Do you or do you not recognize that your interpretation allows government to mandate anything it wants as long as the penalty for non-compliance is a tax?

By the way case law boy, please show us the cases that would support the above.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back