What are your winters like where you live?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Anytime I tell someone I am from Indiana they usually mention something about how much snow and cold you get.
Not so. Indiana is a "tall state". At the top it is aligned with cities like New York, but much further down it is aligned with Mid-southern Virginia.
We get little snow, and when we do, it typically melts the next day. It usually doesn't get to and stay cold till mid January.
By early March it is mostly over.

Where I live it's a tad colder than the last 20 years. Over those years snowfall had been dwindling but this year it's the deepest in all the time I have lived here.
Global what-the-fuck must have proclaimed "Mission Accomplished".

This is about as bad as it gets here, once or twice during the winter months:
image0.jpeg

Q. What are your winters like where you live?​

A. In my youth I would surf in the winter (and summer, fall and spring too) in a wet suit, and on week ends in the winter snow ski the slopes in the Tahoe Area.

One Week end three of us spent the morning surfing at Ocean Beach, then jumped in the van all ready prepared with our winter stuff, and snow skied under the lights at Boreal near the Donner Summit.

Winters here are seldom under 20 and seldom over 50. It rains a lot, and when it doesn't, its usually grey.
Ditto, West Tennessee. But, for some reason, we didn't get a first dusting of snow before Christmas this year, had tornados and shirtsleave weather the week before and was 73 Deg Christmas day and 68 degrees today. It is grey like winter, though.

MN nuff said.
I have several memories of MN.
There is a company there called Publishing Business Systems in St. Paul. I implemented software with them for Newspapers in several states.
Been there probably 7 or 8 times. Was always glad when it was summer months. Was there one time in late February... holy cow... there is (or was this was the late 90s) a really nice British Pub downtown, don't remember the name, anyway we parked about a block away when it wasn't quite dark yet. We had dinner and some beers there. When we left it was not only dark, but snowing with high winds. The air temp was -13.
That one block walking to the car, not easily seeing where it was, was the worst friggin thing.
Anyway... the St. Paul/Minn area I really like. Haven't been in over 20 years.

Ditto, West Tennessee. But, for some reason, we didn't get a first dusting of snow before Christmas this year, had tornados and shirtsleave weather the week before and was 73 Deg Christmas day and 68 degrees today. It is grey like winter, though.
It was 68 here today as well, we rarely get any kind of snow here till after Christmas. You must be in the mountains a bit to get snow in TN this early

Last year, my area of east Tennessee got a white Christmas. Right now, we are still waiting on our first snow fall this year.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. At one point on Christmas day this year, it was 71 degrees here.

Chance of snow from November to March. Average high mid-lower 30’s. Plan to move south next year. 20 for a high today and Wednesday we will drop some -0 numbers. Summers can be in the 100’s.

Last year, my area of east Tennessee got a white Christmas. Right now, we are still waiting on our first snow fall this year.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. At one point on Christmas day this year, it was 71 degrees here.
That is the interesting thing here when people from TN hear our winters are warmer and less snow in Indiana... the elevation here is 690 ft.

They are wonderful in Southern California.

Despite the horrific crime, this is the place to live for its weather.

No snow, no hurricanes, no excessive rain, no tornados, no floods.

Even on the coldest days, a sweater is sufficient.

Gads! What horrible weather in many places of this country.

(Oh sure, there is always the possibility of a severe earthquake, but I guess that does not count as "weather.")

I have several memories of MN.
There is a company there called Publishing Business Systems in St. Paul. I implemented software with them for Newspapers in several states.
Been there probably 7 or 8 times. Was always glad when it was summer months. Was there one time in late February... holy cow... there is (or was this was the late 90s) a really nice British Pub downtown, don't remember the name, anyway we parked about a block away when it wasn't quite dark yet. We had dinner and some beers there. When we left it was not only dark, but snowing with high winds. The air temp was -13.
That one block walking to the car, not easily seeing where it was, was the worst friggin thing.
Anyway... the St. Paul/Minn area I really like. Haven't been in over 20 years.
Its deteriorated markedly. I dont frequent the downtown areas. We got to Christmas with very little snow on the ground due to a couple days of above freezing temps. Mother nature has taken that away but it was nice while it lasted

It was 68 here today as well, we rarely get any kind of snow here till after Christmas. You must be in the mountains a bit to get snow in TN this early
No. The flat to gently rolling lands west of the Tennessee River, but like most of the rest of our weather, it comes in from the northwest across northern Arkansas and the boot heel of Missouri. Last year, one of the best snows we had, came the first or 2nd week of December, enough to cancel school for a day, but around here, they'll cancel school for a heavy frost.

Forum List

Back