What are THE best cover versions of songs, in ANY music genre?

Some of THE best, IMHO, are "All Along The Watchtower", by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, "Mr. Tambourine Man", by the Byrds, "Dancing In The Street" and "Oh, Pretty Woman", by Van Halen, and "Blue Bayou", "It's So Easy", and "When Will I Be Loved", by Linda Ronstadt.
CCR's Proud Mary and Heard it through the Grapevine songs have been covered by a lot of singers

I once watched The Dead play "Not Fade Away" for two solid hours ... the boys got a little carried away that night ... smokin' hot ...
I saw them in Cleveland about 79.
The crowd was more interesting than the music to be honest.
Crazy show though....seems like almost 90% of the dead heads were trippin on something.
mail.gif

Last edited:

Live in Poland - 2020

Even though I don't live there now, Kenny Wayne Shepard is from my hometown.
He was freaking awesome to watch growing up.
I didn't even know Five Finger did a cover of that song, but it has always been one of my favorites from Kenny Wayne.

Live in Poland - 2020

I didn't even know Five Finger did a cover of that song, but it has always been one of my favorites from Kenny Wayne.

I live about 45 minutes north of Shreveport.
Saw him down there back in the 90's.

Live in Poland - 2020

I live about 45 minutes north of Shreveport.
Saw him down there back in the 90's.

Lol ... I live about 45 minutes Southwest, out by Toledo Bend.
Hey there Neighbor ... :bye1:

Crazy show though....seems like almost 90% of the dead heads were trippin on something.View attachment 415701

Right around the same time ... yeah ... if you like the music, you REALLY like the music ... if you don't like the music, it's terrible ... it's not for everyone ...

Was it electric or did you catch the acoustic tour? ....

Crazy show though....seems like almost 90% of the dead heads were trippin on something.View attachment 415701

Right around the same time ... yeah ... if you like the music, you REALLY like the music ... if you don't like the music, it's terrible ... it's not for everyone ...

Was it electric or did you catch the acoustic tour? ....
Electric ...they did Shakedown Street but not Truckin'.
I heard they never did the exact same show - changed the setlist a lot.

Never played the same set twice ... 25 years of near constant touring ... that's why they'd play a venue for three or four nights in row ... all the shows were different ...

It is urban myth that they never had a set list ... they usually did ... they just didn't always follow it ... they had a keen eye for the crowd's mood, and played what they wanted to hear ...

It wasn't just the set lists were always different ... some of their songs wold change night-to-night ... a famous example is Sugar Magnolia first came out on a studio album as an upbeat countrified jingle a la NRPS or The Outlaws ... on stage it was balls-out rock-n-roll ... why DeadHeads have hearing problems today ...

I've seen them just simply forget what song they were playing in the middle ... jam away until they could find another song to play ... funny ...

Some folks don't like that ... and that's okay ... The Dead aren't for everybody ... they never tried to be big commercially ... never stopped being a local band from San Francisco ...

Never played the same set twice ... 25 years of near constant touring ... that's why they'd play a venue for three or four nights in row ... all the shows were different ...

It is urban myth that they never had a set list ... they usually did ... they just didn't always follow it ... they had a keen eye for the crowd's mood, and played what they wanted to hear ...

It wasn't just the set lists were always different ... some of their songs wold change night-to-night ... a famous example is Sugar Magnolia first came out on a studio album as an upbeat countrified jingle a la NRPS or The Outlaws ... on stage it was balls-out rock-n-roll ... why DeadHeads have hearing problems today ...

I've seen them just simply forget what song they were playing in the middle ... jam away until they could find another song to play ... funny ...

Some folks don't like that ... and that's okay ... The Dead aren't for everybody ... they never tried to be big commercially ... never stopped being a local band from San Francisco ...
Jerry Garcia's fusion of bluegrass and rock made the Dead true American Folk...IMO. Have seen Jerry and David Grisman play for hours....Not that they weren't psychedelic a lot..'Terrapin Station' is still my favorite album.
They did many covers....My favorite?

Jerry Garcia's fusion of bluegrass and rock made the Dead true American Folk...IMO. Have seen Jerry and David Grisman play for hours....Not that they weren't psychedelic a lot..'Terrapin Station' is still my favorite album.
They did many covers....My favorite?

<nitpick>

Scarlet Begonias is credited to Hunter/Garcia ... Fire on the Mountain is credited to Hunter/Hart ... it's not a cover if it's your own song ...

</nitpick>

I could go on and on and on about this subject, to me, there are so many awesome covers how there. For now, I will focus on my most favorite male and female. What I have here of my most favorite male may not be considered a cover, but it could be since he is not the member who did the song leading in its original recording, I love the late beautiful precious Steve Sanders of the Oak Ridge Boys so much!

What I love about every cover from Alison Krauss is how different her recordings are compared to the original copies.

God bless you and Alison always!!!

Holly (a fan of her since 1994)

Forum List

Back