Western Wall

To Abraham and Keturah were born six sons: Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah.
We also need to count Ishmael. (according to the OT)

Which line are you from?

I am from the line of Isaac. Ishmael, who is called a wild ass, is the father of the Arabs. He was disowned by Abraham, at Hashem's command.. There are some Rabbis who consider Keturah's children to be step-children of Abraham, since he was already old when he married her (Genesis 25, 1-6). They were also disowned, in any case.

Yes when you can show me your gemology which must go back over 50 generations I just might believe you.

So according to todays laws , Abraham would of had to pay child support for those sons of his, but apparently to you, they aren't his kids, Keturah must of got impregnated by God. They can't be disowned.

Abraham was a grief-stricken widower when he married Keturah, a widow with six children. He adopted her kids, hoping to blend their families together. However, when he realized that her kids were deliquent idol-worshippers (like Ishmael had been), he disowned all of them, and he made Isaac his only successor.

25 Abraham married another wife, named Keturah. 2 The children she bore him were Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah. 3 Jokshan became the father of Sheba and Dedan. Dedan’s sons were Asshurim, Letushim, and Leummim. 4 Midian’s sons were Ephah, Epher, Enoch, Abida, and Eldaah. All of these were Keturah’s sons. 5 Abraham gave everything he owned to Isaac. 6 To the sons of Abraham’s secondary wives, Abraham gave gifts and, while he was still living, sent them away from his son Isaac to land in the east.

don't people read the bible any more?

I am going by one Rabbi's opinion--might be the Ibn Ezra. Usually births in the Torah are preceded by the word "vatahar" (she conceived). This word is omitted from the text. The words "vatoled lo" can also be interpreted to mean "she gave him children", so adoption is an alternative explanation. (See the case of Serach Bat Asher in the Midrash.)

To Abraham and Keturah were born six sons: Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah.
We also need to count Ishmael. (according to the OT)

Which line are you from?

I am from the line of Isaac. Ishmael, who is called a wild ass, is the father of the Arabs. He was disowned by Abraham, at Hashem's command.. There are some Rabbis who consider Keturah's children to be step-children of Abraham, since he was already old when he married her (Genesis 25, 1-6). They were also disowned, in any case.

Yes when you can show me your gemology which must go back over 50 generations I just might believe you.

So according to todays laws , Abraham would of had to pay child support for those sons of his, but apparently to you, they aren't his kids, Keturah must of got impregnated by God. They can't be disowned.

Abraham was a grief-stricken widower when he married Keturah, a widow with six children. He adopted her kids, hoping to blend their families together. However, when he realized that her kids were deliquent idol-worshippers (like Ishmael had been), he disowned all of them, and he made Isaac his only successor.

25 Abraham married another wife, named Keturah. 2 The children she bore him were Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, and Shuah. 3 Jokshan became the father of Sheba and Dedan. Dedan’s sons were Asshurim, Letushim, and Leummim. 4 Midian’s sons were Ephah, Epher, Enoch, Abida, and Eldaah. All of these were Keturah’s sons. 5 Abraham gave everything he owned to Isaac. 6 To the sons of Abraham’s secondary wives, Abraham gave gifts and, while he was still living, sent them away from his son Isaac to land in the east.

I am going by one Rabbi's opinion--might be the Ibn Ezra. Usually births in the Torah are preceded by the word "vatahar" (she conceived). This word is omitted from the text. The words "vatoled lo" can also be interpreted to mean "she gave him children", so adoption is an alternative explanation. (See the case of Serach Bat Asher in the Midrash.)

There are also other clues that Keturah's kids might not be Abraham's. Both here and in the Book of Chronicles, they are called the descendants of Keturah (without Abraham being mentioned). And, unlike Isaac and Ishmael, they do not participate in Abraham's funeral.

There are also other clues that Keturah's kids might not be Abraham's. Both here and in the Book of Chronicles, they are called the descendants of Keturah (without Abraham being mentioned). And, unlike Isaac and Ishmael, they do not participate in Abraham's funeral.

"descendants of Keturah"...The Torah's way of indicating they rejected Avraham's ideals.

5 Abraham left everything he owned to Isaac. 6 But while he was still living, he gave gifts to the sons of his concubines and sent them away from his son Isaac to the land of the east.
7 Abraham lived a hundred and seventy-five years. 8 Then Abraham breathed his last and died at a good old age, an old man and full of years; and he was gathered to his people. 9 His sons Isaac and Ishmael buried him in the cave of Machpelah near Mamre, in the field of Ephron son of Zohar the Hittite, 10 the field Abraham had bought from the Hittites. There Abraham was buried with his wife Sarah. 11 After Abraham’s death, God blessed his son Isaac, who then lived near Beer Lahai Roi.

5 Abraham left everything he owned to Isaac. 6 But while he was still living, he gave gifts to the sons of his concubines and sent them away from his son Isaac to the land of the east.
7 Abraham lived a hundred and seventy-five years. 8 Then Abraham breathed his last and died at a good old age, an old man and full of years; and he was gathered to his people. 9 His sons Isaac and Ishmael buried him in the cave of Machpelah near Mamre, in the field of Ephron son of Zohar the Hittite, 10 the field Abraham had bought from the Hittites. There Abraham was buried with his wife Sarah. 11 After Abraham’s death, God blessed his son Isaac, who then lived near Beer Lahai Roi.
Verse 9 is the Vilna Gaon's basis that the descendants of Ishmael win in the end of days before Moshiach comes.

Muslims have Mecca and Medina.

Why are jews not allowed their two most holy places, the Temple mount and Abraham/Patriarchs tomb?

Forum List

Back