Well, Some Words...

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
Two phrases being thrown around in the lingo lately that I thoroughly object to:
"Virtue signaling" and "Indigenous Peoples Day"
In less than a week, both of these phrases have come popping up in my lexicon, and I thoroughly object to the use of both in the way they are being popularly used.

Virtune signaling
is being used here on USMB to criticize anyone expressing empathy for the victims of Harvey or anything else, like homeless or hungry people. What it really means, according to Wikipedia, is:

Virtue signalling is the conspicuous expression of moral values done primarily with the intent of enhancing standing within a social group. The term was first used in signalling theory, to describe any behavior that could be used to signal virtue—especially piety among the religious.[1] Since 2015, the term has become more commonly used as a pejorative characterization by commentators to criticize what they regard as the platitudinous, empty, or superficial support of certain political views, and also used within groups to criticize their own members for valuing outward appearance over substantive action.[2][3][4] This more recent usage of the term has been criticized for misusing the concept of signalling and encouraging lazy thinking.[5]

It isn't "lazy thinking." It is being used for targeted personal attacks against political opponents and means nothing, but scrapes the bottom of the barrel for mean spirited trolling.

Indigenous Peoples Day:
The Bangor City Council has changed the name "Columbus Day" to "Indigenous Peoples Day," just like that. The local Bangor news channel does a daily web poll question, and 80% of the respondents DO NOT AGREE with changing Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day. So how does the City Council justify this change in the name of a national holiday with a mouthful of a holiday that doesn't even mean anything to most people? "Indigenous peoples" isn't the term we use around here. We say Native Americans, and the real old timers say "Indians." We have four Native tribes and reservations here in Maine and they are active in our local and state affairs. They are widely respected and I have absolutely nothing against a day to honor their contributions to America.

What doesn't make sense is (1) using a term so meaningless to most people (2) placing it on the day a European first stumbled upon the Bahamas. Not a good day for Native Americans, for sure.
If we are going to continue to celebrate Europe's discovery that the Americas existed, keep it on Columbus Day and give us our three day weekend so people can close up their camps for the winter. Have the Native Americans choose a significant date and have it be something awesome, not awful, that is being commemorated. And please, can we call it something more meaningful and less professorial than "Indigenous Peoples Day?"

A coworker of mine with some Native heritage works on Columbus Day, refusing to acknowledge it. I understand that, too. But don't change Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day. PUHLEEEZ.

Two phrases being thrown around in the lingo lately that I thoroughly object to:
In less than a week, both of these phrases have come popping up in my lexicon, and I thoroughly object to the use of both in the way they are being popularly used.

Virtune signaling
is being used here on USMB to criticize anyone expressing empathy for the victims of Harvey or anything else, like homeless or hungry people. What it really means, according to Wikipedia, is:

Virtue signalling is the conspicuous expression of moral values done primarily with the intent of enhancing standing within a social group. The term was first used in signalling theory, to describe any behavior that could be used to signal virtue—especially piety among the religious.[1] Since 2015, the term has become more commonly used as a pejorative characterization by commentators to criticize what they regard as the platitudinous, empty, or superficial support of certain political views, and also used within groups to criticize their own members for valuing outward appearance over substantive action.[2][3][4] This more recent usage of the term has been criticized for misusing the concept of signalling and encouraging lazy thinking.[5]

It isn't "lazy thinking." It is being used for targeted personal attacks against political opponents and means nothing, but scrapes the bottom of the barrel for mean spirited trolling.

Indigenous Peoples Day:
The Bangor City Council has changed the name "Columbus Day" to "Indigenous Peoples Day," just like that. The local Bangor news channel does a daily web poll question, and 80% of the respondents DO NOT AGREE with changing Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day. So how does the City Council justify this change in the name of a national holiday with a mouthful of a holiday that doesn't even mean anything to most people? "Indigenous peoples" isn't the term we use around here. We say Native Americans, and the real old timers say "Indians." We have four Native tribes and reservations here in Maine and they are active in our local and state affairs. They are widely respected and I have absolutely nothing against a day to honor their contributions to America.

What doesn't make sense is (1) using a term so meaningless to most people (2) placing it on the day a European first stumbled upon the Bahamas. Not a good day for Native Americans, for sure.
If we are going to continue to celebrate Europe's discovery that the Americas existed, keep it on Columbus Day and give us our three day weekend so people can close up their camps for the winter. Have the Native Americans choose a significant date and have it be something awesome, not awful, that is being commemorated. And please, can we call it something more meaningful and less professorial than "Indigenous Peoples Day?"

A coworker of mine with some Native heritage works on Columbus Day, refusing to acknowledge it. I understand that, too. But don't change Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day. PUHLEEEZ.

Local elections have consequences.

If you do some digging, I guarantee more than a couple of those council members are ICLEI- affiliated.

I.E. put into place as UN operatives to usurp local representation for the people.

It's a nationwide problem.

Vet your local politicians closely, I cannot stress enough how important that is.

Virtune signaling

Indigenous Peoples Day:

If you do some digging, I guarantee more than a couple of those council members are ICLEI- affiliated.

I.E. put into place as UN operatives to usurp local representation for the people.
I have no idea what ICLEI/I.E. is. Or what it has to do with the UN? Explain?

Virtune signaling

Indigenous Peoples Day:

What does ICLEI (pronounced ICK-LY) stand for? International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives. It was created as a non-governmental spin-off by the United Nations in 1990 to implement Agenda 21 locally across the world. It is a membership organization for cities; 7,807 worldwide as of 2012.

Headquartered in Bonn, Germany, it is a lobbying and policy group that is intended to influence and change local governmental policies related to all aspects of human life. It designs and sells systems that monitor, report, and control water and energy usage. This information is then shared.

By concentrating power in cities this group circumvents requirements for ratification of international treaties and gives the illusion of local control. ICLEI is structured as a parallel government but has no transparency because it is a private non-profit.

In fact the cities then ally in regional conglomerates which break jurisdictional boundaries and will destroy local control. These regional boards are unelected and not answerable to the citizenry.

Ultimately this facilitates global governance by invalidating individual cities, counties, states, and nations with agreements and interwoven systems to which they are bound by contract: public private partnerships.

"

"

ICLEI: When they say local they mean it

DEMOCRATS AGAINST U. N. AGENDA 21

Virtune signaling

Indigenous Peoples Day:

What does ICLEI (pronounced ICK-LY) stand for? International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives. It was created as a non-governmental spin-off by the United Nations in 1990 to implement Agenda 21 locally across the world. It is a membership organization for cities; 7,807 worldwide as of 2012.

Headquartered in Bonn, Germany, it is a lobbying and policy group that is intended to influence and change local governmental policies related to all aspects of human life. It designs and sells systems that monitor, report, and control water and energy usage. This information is then shared.

By concentrating power in cities this group circumvents requirements for ratification of international treaties and gives the illusion of local control. ICLEI is structured as a parallel government but has no transparency because it is a private non-profit.

In fact the cities then ally in regional conglomerates which break jurisdictional boundaries and will destroy local control. These regional boards are unelected and not answerable to the citizenry.

Ultimately this facilitates global governance by invalidating individual cities, counties, states, and nations with agreements and interwoven systems to which they are bound by contract: public private partnerships.

"

"

ICLEI: When they say local they mean it

DEMOCRATS AGAINST U. N. AGENDA 21
I don't think the Bangor City Council has anything to do with your shadow government conspiracy theory, Marion. You're usually pretty sensible. Not this morning, though.

Virtune signaling

Indigenous Peoples Day:

ICLEI - Wikipedia

Annd no doubt this Sean Faircloth is ICLEI-affiliated:

"

The New York Society for Ethical Culture Believes in Secular Humanism as the driving Force In The American Constitution.

Sunday Meeting, February 21, 2010
Sunday Meeting – 11:15 a.m. – Auditorium

“One Nation Under the Constitution: Moral Values through Humanistic Government”
Sean Faircloth, Executive Director of Secular Coalition for America
The Secular Coalition for America is a leader of what The Nation magazine recently called the newly “visible, assertive, and respected” secular movement. Executive Director Sean Faircloth, will discuss how the values of our nation’s founders directly connect to the values of the secular movement.

"

SustainabiliTank: Future Events

Annd no doubt this Sean Faircloth is ICLEI-affiliated:

"

The New York Society for Ethical Culture Believes in Secular Humanism as the driving Force In The American Constitution.

Sunday Meeting, February 21, 2010
Sunday Meeting – 11:15 a.m. – Auditorium

“One Nation Under the Constitution: Moral Values through Humanistic Government”
Sean Faircloth, Executive Director of Secular Coalition for America
The Secular Coalition for America is a leader of what The Nation magazine recently called the newly “visible, assertive, and respected” secular movement. Executive Director Sean Faircloth, will discuss how the values of our nation’s founders directly connect to the values of the secular movement.

"

SustainabiliTank: Future Events
Sean Faircloth is on the Bangor City Council?
Okay, I get you are concerned about this group. You gotta know Bangor, though. They have all they can do to keep a public bus running.

There is nothing wrong with a humanistic, secular movement, imo, but if you feel they are the reason for this naming fiasco, I guess I'd better get their e-mail address.

^You were saying, OL?
I didn't see any upcoming events in Bangor.

It appears this Faircloth drafts most of the legislation, and he is ICLEI-affiliated.

I know there's 2-3 on the city council in my town, too. The city became the tree Nazis.
Marion Morrison I have checked Mr. Faircloth's bio and I went to ICLEI and checked their membership roster. Bangor is not listed.
The only one in Maine is York. Where did you get the information that he is ICLEI affiliated? Just guessing?
Our Members - ICLEI USA

Last edited:
^You were saying, OL?

It appears this Faircloth drafts most of the legislation, and he is ICLEI-affiliated.

I know there's 2-3 on the city council in my town, too. The city became the tree Nazis.
Marion Morrison I have checked Mr. Faircloth's bio and I went to ICLEI and checked their membership roster. Bangor is not listed.
The only one in Maine is York. Where did you get the information that he is ICLEI affiliated? Just guessing?
Our Members - ICLEI USA

^I linked it above.

That's their site, and they are promoting him, ergo, he is one of theirs.

They no longer publish their members publicly, and throw up as much obfuscation as possible.

All one really has to do is keep an ear out for their lingo.

"sustainable" "green" ..things like that

Last edited:
^You were saying, OL?

Our Members - ICLEI USA

^I linked it above.

That's their site, and they are promoting him, ergo, he is one of theirs.

They no longer publish their members publicly, and throw up as much obfuscation as possible.

All one really has to do is keep an ear out for their lingo.

"sustainable" "green" ..things like that
I read reviewed your links. I didn't see anything on Sean Faircloth being a member. I am not trying to be difficult.

And regardless, a guy for sustainable and green projects is no excuse for a dopey renaming of Columbus Day. He was behind the Children's Museum, so he is probably kinda sciency. You gotta bring those folks back down to Earth sometimes.

Forum List

Back