Well preserved 3,000 year old sword discovered in Germany

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

ARCHAEOLOGISTS FROM THE BAVARIAN STATE OFFICE FOR THE PRESERVATION OF MONUMENTS HAVE ANNOUNCED THE DISCOVERY OF A WELL-PRESERVED BRONZE AGE SWORD IN THE TOWN OF NÖRDLINGEN, BAVARIA, GERMANY.​

Most Bronze Age remains around Nördlingen belong to the Urnfield Culture (often divided into several local cultures within a broader Urnfield tradition) which emerged around 1300 BC. The Urnfield Culture grew from the preceding Tumulus Culture and developed advanced metal working skills in Bronze weaponry and armour.

The sword was found among a deposit of grave goods and weaponry, alongside the remains of a man, woman and child. The discovery is extremely rare for this part of Germany, as most burial mounds have long been looted during antiquity or opened during the 19th century.

The sword is similar to the Bronze D type Rixheim swords, in that it uses a solid hilt made by overlay casting of the handle over the blade, although the sword type has been described as “octagonal”.

The hilt is ornately decorated, while the blade shows no indication of impact marks. This suggests that the sword had a ceremonial function or was a symbol of high status. However, according to the researchers, it would still have served as an effective weapon as the centre of gravity on the front part of the blade indicates that it would be used predominantly for slashing.

The arrowheads look to be in great shape too.

Still, while interesting, it amounts to little more than legalized grave robbing.

I note in the article that they refer to the looting burial mounds.....What are they doing but looting?

7pkraz.jpg

Thats some serious skill there for a 1,000 BC sword. Impressive. Plus bronze in Germany outside the historical trade route for Bronze that we think of.

Thats some serious skill there for a 1,000 BC sword. Impressive. Plus bronze in Germany outside the historical trade route for Bronze that we think of.
I agree, and if that is truly a Bronze Age sword (I'm skeptical) this only highlights the technical prowess of the Huns, and is another reason I drive a VW. :)

Have fun with your $600 headlight replacement.

Damn, I always did want a VW Thing. ;)

R.a0004e3e0462411044f961e0aa3fa8cc
I called the dealer for the cost of the driver side window switch bank, $150. I went on Amazon and bought one identical for $25. I recently bought a new headlight assembly for the car, got it on Amazon for around $125, the dealer probably would have charged the price you quoted if I bought it from them, there are work arounds.

I want a Schwimmwagen:
dan_trent_schwimwaggen_goodwood_12031801.jpg

Forum List

Back