Welders?

One of my first jobs I ever had when I got out of the service was a pipefitters helper.

All of our pipe was Weld pipe and weld flanges.

I watched and eventually learn how to weld later on I became a certified welder.

Also I welded stainless steel and did structural fabrication.

Everything I did was stick using the big Lincoln and Miller Diessl welders.

We also used a plasma torch to cut out the patterns.in steel.

Those things are the cat's meow and beat using Oxy Act cutting torches by a mile.

I use the instantaneous Electronic lenses in my welding hood.

So today anyone that gets their eyes burnt from welding is a moron.

Haven't welded anything in probably four or five years.

But once you learn how to weld it's like learning how to ride a bicycle.

Once you know how you will never forget.

Just give me a welding rod and a couple of pieces of steel to practice on.

And in 5 min. I would be running a nice bead. :eusa_angel:
Sunni Man, could you weld something as an art and photograph and show it here? We'd love to see it if that's possible. :)

Don't understand a word they're sayin', but the results are full of character. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7xzyD5heUE&feature=player_detailpage"]‪Weld Art 1‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Sunni Man, could you weld something as an art and photograph and show it here? We'd love to see it if that's possible. :)
Maybe after both Ramadan and the hot summer is over I will try to put something together.

One cautionary note they most likely covered in your class.

NEVER weld or torch cut on a piece of galvanized metal.

The fumes that it gives out are highly poisonous.

And could easily result in a quick trip to the hospital. :eek:

Don't understand a word they're sayin', but the results are full of character. :)

‪Weld Art 1‬‏ - YouTube

Excellent works of art. I thought they'd be using TIG, but not stick. That's tough to do.

BTW, here's me with a plasma cutter working on my first big project, a kayak trailer:

welding1004.jpg

That is a really nice unit.

And will do anything that you need. :thup:

Thanks. I was pricier than I initially wanted to pay, but after considering everything including my plans for a home business, it seemed worth the investment. I do have a 1950s Lincoln crackerbox which my dad gave me. The Synchrowave DC stick is much better, but practicing with the AC crackerbox isn't bad either.

Here's my MIG unit, a Miller 211 plus the Hobart plasma cutter. I designed and built both the rolling welder rack for those units and the mechanic's seat using both scrap and clean metal offered by the school. Cost to me was the paint. I eventually painted the welder rack silver.

weldingrackandseat009.jpg

If a person really wants to do a lot of quality art and metal sculpture.

They have to get also proficient at brazing and gas welding.

For some reason I never could do it right and my welds were always sub standard. :(

If a person really wants to do a lot of quality art and metal sculpture.

They have to get also proficient at brazing and gas welding.

For some reason I never could do it right and my welds were always sub standard. :(

Brazing and Oxy-Acetylene welding was taught in one class, but I'm only so-so with it. One thing we were told was that if you are good with those, then TIG welding is much easier.

Here is another class project; a dual bicycle rack on wheels. I designed it by looking at all different types of bicycle racks on the internet. Most were stand alone rack which were up against a wall, but I wanted something which could be rolled around my garage or pushed outside. It was my first MIG welding project. I picked up a light 2.5 inch scar on the inside of my right bicep when I was welding the base of the rack then picked it up to move and it rubbed up against my upper arm. No, it wasn't red hot, but, yes, it was hot enough to cauterize wounds....or leave a scar. :)

14651_105044446177772_100000166524801_132014_2082293_n.jpg

Maybe after both Ramadan and the hot summer is over I will try to put something together.

One cautionary note they most likely covered in your class.

NEVER weld or torch cut on a piece of galvanized metal.

The fumes that it gives out are highly poisonous.

And could easily result in a quick trip to the hospital. :eek:
That'll be neat.

My media is sewn fibers and machine needle arts, not welding. I love all the arts, however, and am fascinated with things people put together, like DW showed on his first post or two. I thought the scorpion was truly far-out (that's good), and the armadillo was unique.

I have a question for you, though, Sunniman. Are there masks that can filter out the poisons of ignited galvanized metal? My grandfather worked in metals his whole life and succumbed to cancer of the mouth that spread. I was wondering if today's metalworkers could use a reliable way to filter out any poison caused by their work.

Sorry this weather is so hot. Hope you have a nice Ramadan and share your work when it cools down some. I look forward to seeing it. :)

Another project; shop plasma cutter. One I built based upon an idea of a more experienced welding student in the class. It stayed with the shop, so I don't have it like the other projects I built. OTOH, it served as the based idea for both my mechanic's seat and welding rack shown in previous pictures.

14651105043972844486100.jpg

14651_105043979511152_100000166524801_132005_390282_n.jpg

That is a really nice unit.

And will do anything that you need. :thup:

Thanks. I was pricier than I initially wanted to pay, but after considering everything including my plans for a home business, it seemed worth the investment. I do have a 1950s Lincoln crackerbox which my dad gave me. The Synchrowave DC stick is much better, but practicing with the AC crackerbox isn't bad either.

Here's my MIG unit, a Miller 211 plus the Hobart plasma cutter. I designed and built both the rolling welder rack for those units and the mechanic's seat using both scrap and clean metal offered by the school. Cost to me was the paint. I eventually painted the welder rack silver.

weldingrackandseat009.jpg
Wow, DW: a Kayak rack, implements for the shop to help with the work and a portable bicycle rack. If you are designing from scratch, I hope you have already sent in the appropriate patents and copyrights to ensure you and your family benefit from your labors. I know it's work translating projects to paper, but you deserve the good that comes from your own heart, mind, and hands. Just sayin' :eusa_whistle:

My media is sewn fibers and machine needle arts, not welding.

Have a link to some of your work? I'm a novice sewer. Became one because I had sticker shock at buying curtains for an entire 3 bedroom house. I agreed with my (now ex) wife to buy curtains for the living room, but installed venetian blinds and sewed panels for the bedrooms and dining room. I knew absolutely nothing about sewing, but the wife did know how to load the bobbin and operate the machine, but lacked the patience to sew a straight seam. It was cheaper for me to buy the machine, material and other necessary items than to buy curtains. Afterward, I still had the machine, so spent the next couple of winter's fooling with it such as making throw pillow covers, stuffed animals for my nieces and a couple of vests for other female relatives.

That was a few years ago, before I took up welding. Now all I use the sewing machine for are repairs to clothes or to hem pants.

My media is sewn fibers and machine needle arts, not welding.

Have a link to some of your work? I'm a novice sewer. Became one because I had sticker shock at buying curtains for an entire 3 bedroom house. I agreed with my (now ex) wife to buy curtains for the living room, but installed venetian blinds and sewed panels for the bedrooms and dining room. I knew absolutely nothing about sewing, but the wife did know how to load the bobbin and operate the machine, but lacked the patience to sew a straight seam. It was cheaper for me to buy the machine, material and other necessary items than to buy curtains. Afterward, I still had the machine, so spent the next couple of winter's fooling with it such as making throw pillow covers, stuffed animals for my nieces and a couple of vests for other female relatives.

That was a few years ago, before I took up welding. Now all I use the sewing machine for are repairs to clothes or to hem pants.
First of all, I forgot to say how much I like your art and practical welding, and it makes me happy to see someone use well what they learned in a class. Sounds like you've done well by your sewing machine also.

A few of my quilts are at this link: http://www.usmessageboard.com/arts-and-crafts/175075-artful-homemade-quilts-have-a-way.html

There's a lot of yakkety yak there, too. Hope you're not bored stiff by talk of my art that became my trade.

A short three picture progression of my first kayak trailer project:

Garbage trailer stripped down. It used to have four side walls and a rotting plywood floor. I stripped it down and put the temporary plywood flooring in order to use it to haul home another welding project (my first, a trebuchet).
32238129299080418975100.jpg

Primed, ready for final paint. Tongue extended to accommodate a 15 foot kayak (the blue one in the background) with enough clearance for turning the trailer and custom trailer light brackets installed. Note the 4 inch PVC pipe used for rollers.
32238129299087085641100.jpg

The finished product with 3/4 inch plywood floorboards and a composite truck tool box bolted to the trailer for storage of paddles, life vests and other equipment.
22866622716018063286410.jpg

Wow, DW. That's a great progression combined with the above. It looks like you and your family thrive on water sports. :)

There's a lot of yakkety yak there, too. Hope you're not bored stiff by talk of my art that became my trade.

Thanks for the link, Becki. After skimming through pages and pages of political extremists call each other names, reading about a person's passion is not "yakkety yak".
hi-there-smiley.gif

Forum List

Back