Webcam advice

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
So after talking about it for a couple years I have finally decided to create a homebrew series on Youtube. Instructional videos and the like.
The only cam I have is the one on the laptop, which is too grainy and low res for a proper video in HD.
Amazon of course has 12,000 options.... and as always with Amazon you have to be careful what you buy as they will sell anything if the seller has an account.
Any of you guys use a webcam that you like?
Options... 1080 ability, good microphone with background reduction.
That's really it....not looking to make professional videos... just good.
And while your at it - if you know of decent video editing software - I'll appreciate any advice on that as well.

Cheers!

So after talking about it for a couple years I have finally decided to create a homebrew series on Youtube. Instructional videos and the like.
The only cam I have is the one on the laptop, which is too grainy and low res for a proper video in HD.
Amazon of course has 12,000 options.... and as always with Amazon you have to be careful what you buy as they will sell anything if the seller has an account.
And while your at it - if you know of decent video editing software - I'll appreciate any advice on that as well.

Cheers!
Check out Newegg. Select the features/price range you want and go from there.

Webcams, HD Webcams - Newegg.com

And BTW - I see that my timing sucks... as web cams are sold out everywhere due to folks working from home due to virus

Cheers!

Thank you!... I have heard of New Egg but I never used them.
WAAAY better organized than Amazon... reviews are better and the one I was looking at at Amazon was $26 higher for the same camera.

Bought it!!!

Cheers!

Thank you!... I have heard of New Egg but I never used them.
WAAAY better organized than Amazon... reviews are better and the one I was looking at at Amazon was $26 higher for the same camera.

Bought it!!!
I use Newegg for 99% of my computer needs plus they have GREAT customer service.

The information on the cameras was a lot better than Amazon... which is the problem with Amazon...it is really only good when you specifically know exactly what you are looking for. Knock off galore there.

The only thing I didn't much care for with Newegg is you really have to watch where it is shipping FROM.
I almost bought the camera and notice in tiny, almost grayed out text - "shipping from China". Even though I chose Ship from USA in filter. With the current situation it could have been December before I received it.
But the interface and information was leagues above Amazon.

The information on the cameras was a lot better than Amazon... which is the problem with Amazon...it is really only good when you specifically know exactly what you are looking for. Knock off galore there.

The only thing I didn't much care for with Newegg is you really have to watch where it is shipping FROM.
I almost bought the camera and notice in tiny, almost grayed out text - "shipping from China". Even though I chose Ship from USA in filter. With the current situation it could have been December before I received it.
But the interface and information was leagues above Amazon.
Oops, I forgot to warn you about that. I always check regardless of which site I'm on so I just (mistakenly) assume others do that too. Always look for "Shipped by Newegg."

Just get a decent video camera. Almost all today can input and output through various means, including USB, FireWire, and memory sticks. The last time I needed to do some video work I used a Sony Camcorder that used digital tapes I got about 10 years ago, but it also used memory sticks.

And you are also going to want to start researching how you are going to edit the footage and narrate it. Most do not run raw unedited video (unless they are livestreaming), but import it to their computer for editing.

Myself, I use Adobe Premier for the video part, and input all the audio through Adobe Audition (I used Cool Edit Pro for many years, Adobe bought it).

And there are other things you should consider. A decent microphone with a windscreen and a tripod would also be on the list, as well as a good quality audio card. I use a Sound Blaster Audigy myself, with the 5.25" breakout box in one of my drive bays. That lets me run my mic with the 1/4" jack directly into it without having to step down to a 1/8" plug.

And none of this needs to cost you an arm and a leg. An Audigy and box is only around $50, and figure about $50-100 for a decent mic and stand. The software is going to be the tricky part, and expect a bit of a learning curve if you have never used one before.

Cheers!
Not the top of the line, but most of the twitch streamers will use a decent webcam like this on.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006A2Q81M/?tag=ff0d01-20

Forum List

Back