📛 We will be adding badges/icons that users can pick to show up under their username. Help us!

Can we have one for Russiabots?

Here's an idea.

1694577212412.png

OK, I'll bite: where does one go to select these optional badges should one wish to avail oneself of them? I've looked everywhere and don't see a setting for them.
They are not available yet as I'm still working on the system to allow people to choose the optional badges.

My suggestion would be a 5 year membership badge (maybe silver), 10 year membership badge (gold) and anything over 15 years is the OG crown.
The site has been around since 2003-08-27T01:39:13Z, so we could have members here for 20 years. I think we can tweak the OG badge and others for sure.

I started a thread on this very subject. There are many foreign posters on this board who have no "skin in the game" and just like to bash America and Trump. Maybe a U.S. badge like an old timey sheriff's badge?
The only way to really do this would be to do an honor system. If they are using a proxy there isn't even a way for us to know. Do you think enough of them would be honest on the honor system?

What about all those points I have?
Isn't there a USMB store I can spend them at?
We can definitely add badges based off points. No store though.

They are not available yet as I'm still working on the system to allow people to choose the optional badges.

BTW, I've seen some of the badges on some people's avatars and as you likely know, reducing file size to the tiny images of these badges also reduces clarity and resolution. If you want to send me the badge images, I'll see what I can do to enhance them to make the salient details translate better on the page and if you like the result, you can use them. I'm rather good at image processing.

BTW, I've seen some of the badges on some people's avatars and as you likely know, reducing file size to the tiny images of these badges also reduces clarity and resolution. If you want to send me the badge images, I'll see what I can do to enhance them to make the salient details translate better on the page and if you like the result, you can use them. I'm rather good at image processing.
I think the only thing that will make them stand out better is actually pixel level manipulation. The downside to that is I can't specify a different image for the badges in the postbit and the badges on the description page. They are larger on the description page. It has to be the same image, which makes the pixel level changes worthless.

How about a nationality icon as well as badges.
We have so many people on this forum who behave as if they have US citizenship but absolutely do not.
Where I'm not opposed to listening to those outside of the USA on various topics and gaining a different perspective on the topics... the true origin of the opinion does matter quite often. And there are many who are very disingenuous with their opinions.

Just saying it would be very enlightening.

Excellent idea.

I think the only thing that will make them stand out better is actually pixel level manipulation.
I can do that. I'm used to working at 1600X file size.

The downside to that is I can't specify a different image for the badges in the postbit and the badges on the description page. They are larger on the description page. It has to be the same image, which makes the pixel level changes worthless.
No. Just use the same images for both. I could leave full resolution images of the original badges and you can simply leave them attached to a message in an announcement thread somewhere or somewhere else linked to them for folks to look them up. Then use the modified small image files for the actual badges that get used. I could do one just as a test. The problem with the badges as I see them now is that you can't actually tell what they are by looking at them, you have to mouse over them to see what they actually mean.

For example, you can't see the 5 or 7 in the years you were a member, nor make out the OG in the old member's badge. Your decision.

Its probably several years down the road but I see some potential synergies going on here.

Like if we were to have a fantasy football/baseball league; maybe the winner gets a trophy badge for that season???

Maybe we could have a chess tournament and have a trophy badge

Maybe on Sporcle we could have someone put together some sort of trivia challenge and have a trophy badge.

Stock portfolio competitions?

But please don't make any badge that rewards consecutive days of posting...we already have enough low-quality posts on the board

The site has been around since 2003-08-27T01:39:13Z, so we could have members here for 20 years. I think we can tweak the OG badge and others for sure.

The only way to really do this would be to do an honor system. If they are using a proxy there isn't even a way for us to know. Do you think enough of them would be honest on the honor system?

We can definitely add badges based off points. No store though.
How about a "GM" (Grandmaster) badge for anyone with 20+ years? Im not aware of any active members with an account that old currently, but in a few years there will be quite a few.

Its probably several years down the road but I see some potential synergies going on here.

Like if we were to have a fantasy football/baseball league; maybe the winner gets a trophy badge for that season???

Maybe we could have a chess tournament and have a trophy badge

Maybe on Sporcle we could have someone put together some sort of trivia challenge and have a trophy badge.

Stock portfolio competitions?

But please don't make any badge that rewards consecutive days of posting...we already have enough low-quality posts on the board
That's an interesting idea.

The very first forum I ever posted at, which introduced me to the concept, is when I met a tech guy who had is own website, email server and forum, just for fun. I had never knew these things existed before then. This was back in the late nineties.

We played a lot of CIV III together, and did some bar hopping. Anywho, on that forum, we had a game of Risk going. Everyone logged in and took a turn a day. The only thing I did not like about it, is the game was hosted on another site. That site called the game something other than Risk, for copyright reasons. I wish I could remember the name, not that it matters, STEAM has a free version of Risk now. As a result, I am pretty sure, that old site that hosted Risk games would be out of business. lol

Using multiple sites for members to game and chat requires another user name and password, and a lot of folks, didn't like that extra work and organization of going to an external sites.

However, for some, doing that, "turn a day format," whether it is for chess, Risk, murder mysteries, etc. do seem to work well for forum members who are interested. OH, my buddy that ran that site, he was a HUGE fantasy footballer. I never really got a thrill out of that though.

I had always thought, if some company made forum software, that integrated that gaming ability, right into the forum, they would make a killing, IMO.

Last edited:
Some of the older people here will
love this addition . It will help them to more accurately pin point their prejudices and keep track of things . Others can help us more quickly spot the
more idiotic posters who believe a stupid and simple label identifies or describes them . The remaining half dozen can then have occasional chats with like minded souls and avoid the crap

Some of the older people here will
love this addition . It will help them to more accurately pin point their prejudices and keep track of things . Others can help us more quickly spot the
more idiotic posters who believe a stupid and simple label identifies or describes them . The remaining half dozen can then have occasional chats with like minded souls and avoid the crap
Just clutters up the screen with useless nonsense

Forum List

Back