We need to plant more trees in the USA..

It depresses me when I hike in eastern forest and see so many junk trees growing where hardwoods used to flourish. I feel lucky to know where huge hardwoods, over five feet in diameter, grow on private property owned by folks who understand what they have. There was a time when trees like that were common. They have been harvested and replaced with softwoods that barely make decent firewood let alone lumber.

We should replace the 58 million acres of ethanol-dedicated corn with... trees.
The benefits to the environment would be exponentially greater than that bullshit additive.

Need to quit looking at the world as all one big resource for human exploitation.
Trees are gifts. They provide food and shelter and when managed cost almost nothing.

They're also homes for numerous other creatures. If it wouldn't be acceptable to knock down human houses for resources, why is it an animals'? Humans are so superior? Don't see any other species on this entire planet fouling its' own nest like we do. Claims of human superiority and priority makes me vomit.

Need to quit looking at the world as all one big resource for human exploitation.
Trees are gifts. They provide food and shelter and when managed cost almost nothing.

They're also homes for numerous other creatures. If it wouldn't be acceptable to knock down human houses for resources, why is it an animals'? Humans are so superior? Don't see any other species on this entire planet fouling its' own nest like we do. Claims of human superiority and priority makes me vomit.
Did you notice I mentioned managed?

Once again an argument about half full or half empty. I have seen reports that there are more trees east of the mississippi than when the first white people landed. Are there more mega trees since then, no, but a huge reason for this is bugs that have killed the hardwoods, not man. I think it is the mighty chestnut that was laid low by disease and almost eradicated. Farms that were on marginal lands have been abandoned and the forest has taken over. Vermont was ten percent forest at the turn of the century and today is 90 percent. Forest management is letting timber become more mature before harvest as a boon to animals.

In short, trees on the east side are in great shape and getting better every year. I don't know where camp hikes but when I hike in the great smokies trees reign for as far as the eye can see. Guys think of the wonderful progress that,has been made and let's stop finding fault where there is none.

Forum List

Back