Watch Fans?

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
Any watch fans here?

I like a nice watch, and have a fairly substantial collection; Omega, Rolex, Panerai, etc. My daily wear watch is a Breitling Colt 43.

Recently, though, I've been made aware of some watches that are well down into the three-figure range, and they're really nice, swinging way above their price point.

The first is a company called Undone: Undone Watch Co.

They're below $500, and you can customize just about every single aspect of them. For $335, I'll be ordering one of these:

Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 12-20-09 Basecamp Classic Customizer UNDONE.png

Yesterday a buddy told me about a new Omega/Swatch collaboration called the "MOONSWATCH" collection. It looks like an Omega Speedmaster, but also has the Swatch logo on it (the Swatch Group owns Omega). They've got a watch for each of the planets and the sun, and they're under a grand. I'm going to get this one:

single_card_variation_2_Moon_670x670.jpg

I don't like the Omega Speedmaster enough to spend $6,000 on one, but for $850? It's a Swiss quartz movement (I prefer automatics), but it's a good lookin' watch.

Any other watch fans here?

I was given a Dick Tracy Two-Way Wrist Radio (aka Apple Watch). I'm a big fan of not having to carry a cell phone.

All I want out of a watch is for it to be sturdy, reliable, and to tell me what time it is. Being as OCD as I often am, I want a watch that I can trust to always tell me the correct time, to within a second.

My current watch is the most expensive that I have ever owned—a Casio G-Shock GWM500. I think I paid something like $70 to $75 it at WalMart. The store had it priced at $90, but as the same company had it listed online at the lower price, they were obligated to sell it to me at that price when I showed them the online listing. My past several watches before this one were Casio Waveceptors, which satisfied my OCD by automatically receiving and setting themselves by the WWVB signal broadcast by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST); but didn't seem quite sturdy enough for my rough profession, lasting only a few years before needing to be replaced. The G-Shock line is advertised as being more durable, so I'll have to see how this one holds up. I bought in in 2018, so I guess it's already lasted longer than some of its predecessors did.

Funnily enough I have a collection of automatic watches. I’ve always fancied buying a Seiko Diver Professional 300m 7549-7010 Tuna Can Men's Watch, but I’m not paying over £1,000 sods for one, so instead I bought a Chinese copy. It has Seiko movement but totally Chinese engineered body and face.
Always looking for a bargain I bought a return on Ebay For £85 they are being sold now for £185 so I consider it a bargain.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I'm already on a watch forum based over in the UK. I like that board better than the American ones. They're just more gentlemanly. I checked out a couple of watch forums in the states, but those folks largely seem to define themselves by their watch. Poser types.

One of my hobbies is restoring antiques.

I've got way too darned many, from divers, to aviators, to seafarers, blah bah blah...

Speedys don't keep time worth a darn.

I don't have a Doxa. I've been wanting to pick up an Sub 600T. An orange dial one.

Don't have a Navitimer either. Still wanna to pick up one of those.

Last edited:
I was surprised to learn how expensive some G-Shocks can be. This one is $3,000:

image.jpg

Mine's not nearly that fancy.

I'm, a construction worker. To me, a watch is a practical thing. I wear it when I am doing rough work, on a rough construction site. I need it to be durable enough to hold up under those conditions, and not so expensive that it will be a huge loss of I break it.

I did recently become aware of a watch that I though was rather cool. I was even thinking that I might buy one, if it wasnt too outrageously expensive. I was thinking a few hundred dollars, I might be willing to spend on it.

Turns out that it costs $280,000. A bit out of my budget. That's the cheapest price I've seen for it. Some sellers are asking well over a million for it; I don';t know if that's an even fancier version, or they just think they can get that much for it.

ezgif.com-gif-maker-2-1.gif
Jacob-and-Co-Bugatti-Chiron-animation.gif

You should check out Shinola, Made in the U.S.A..

Oh, I'm quite familiar with them. I just haven't seen one which really blows my skirt up.

One brand I like is Deep Blue. Their customer service is absolutely horrible, but the watches are built like tanks; at least their dive watches are. I've got two of them; a Sun Diver II and a Sun Diver III. They use Seiko automatic movements. I bought the SD II used for $200, and the SD III new for $349:

pro-sundiver-2-black-dial-silver-bezel-40.png
3UaNd5S1lB_deep-blue_sun_diver_0_original.jpg

They're substantial watches. I like to say they score an "8" on the "stitch scale". That would be how many stitches it would take to close the wound if you got caught across the forehead with it...

:auiqs.jpg:

I like a nice watch...but those are out of my practical price range.

Like Bob Blaylock , I'm always working with my hands.

The Timex Mk1 steel holds up extremely well.

Have also Seiko 5 automatic for special occasions.

Last edited:
I've got a "unicorn" piece that I hope to find one day. It's the Alsta Nautoscaph Superautomatic. It's the watch that Richard Dreyfuss wore as Matt Hooper in the movie "Jaws":

alsta-nautoscaph-superautomatic-50-jaws-watch-promo-split.jpg

Untitled-design-11-e1611747636665.png

It was about $1,700 new. They re-issued the watch in 2019 for its 50th anniversary and, although the appearance is pretty much the same, technological updates have been made to the reissue. I want the original. At 38mm, it's a bit smaller than I'm used to. Normally I can't wear a watch which has a case diameter of 40mm (the Breitling I wear everyday is a 43mm). That said, the Alsta is an iconic watch which isn't a part of most collections.

The only sub-38mm watch I ever wear is an Eduoard Lauzieres:

2662007660_1268c772a4_o.jpg

I bought it about 15 years ago when I was a member of an online watch forum. It's a limited edition piece, with only 300 made. I don't wear it often, but it's a classy look when I've got to wear a tux. The best part? It was only three bills...

Forum List

Back