Washington Supreme Court tosses out state's death penalty

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I understand the arguments both for and against the death penalty, in response to this ruling however the news video made a good point. The only reason prosecutors were able to get the cooperation of the Green River killer Gary Ridgeway was because they were able to use the threat of the avoidance of the death penalty to strike a deal. Some people in my opinion deserve the same fate that they inflicted upon their victims and I think the option of being able to sentence those very aggregious offenders to death when it's certain that they committed the crime is something that should be available.

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) — Washington state's Supreme Court ruled Thursday that the death penalty, as applied, violates its Constitution.

The ruling Thursday makes Washington the latest state to do away with capital punishment. The court was unanimous in its order that the eight people currently on death row have their sentences converted to life in prison. Five justices said the "death penalty is invalid because it is imposed in an arbitrary and racially biased manner."

"Given the manner in which it is imposed, the death penalty also fails to serve any legitimate penological goals," the justices wrote.

Four other justices, in a concurrence, wrote that while they agreed with the majority's conclusions and invalidation of the death penalty, "additional state constitutional principles compel this result."

Gov. Jay Inslee, a one-time supporter of capital punishment, had imposed a moratorium on the death penalty in 2014, saying that no executions would take place while he's in office.

In a written statement, Inslee called the ruling "a hugely important moment in our pursuit for equal and fair application of justice."

"The court makes it perfectly clear that capital punishment in our state has been imposed in an 'arbitrary and racially biased manner,' is 'unequally applied' and serves no criminal justice goal," Inslee wrote.​

Mass murderers and serial killers need to move to Washington where every night is purge night.

This is yet one more example of why we need Republicans to select judges on the federal level.

Capital Punishment is a law--not a Constitutional issue. Laws are made by elected representatives. Courts decide if laws are followed or not.

What the leftist judges do is create constitutional violations out of thin air. We've seen this on several occasions with Trump; we seen this in the gay marriage debate. If continued that way, we will be a government run by judges and their poetical affiliations or political agendas.

If the people of Washington want to do away with the death penalty, that's fine as long as they make such a decision and not 9 activists who happen to be seated on the bench. It should either be a campaign issue by representatives or a ballot initiative where the people get to vote to keep it or not.

Keep Democrats from selecting judges. It will be the end of our Republic unless we do.

I understand the arguments both for and against the death penalty, in response to this ruling however the news video made a good point. The only reason prosecutors were able to get the cooperation of the Green River killer Gary Ridgeway was because they were able to use the threat of the avoidance of the death penalty to strike a deal. Some people in my opinion deserve the same fate that they inflicted upon their victims and I think the option of being able to sentence those very aggregious offenders to death when it's certain that they committed the crime is something that should be available.

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) — Washington state's Supreme Court ruled Thursday that the death penalty, as applied, violates its Constitution.

The ruling Thursday makes Washington the latest state to do away with capital punishment. The court was unanimous in its order that the eight people currently on death row have their sentences converted to life in prison. Five justices said the "death penalty is invalid because it is imposed in an arbitrary and racially biased manner."

"Given the manner in which it is imposed, the death penalty also fails to serve any legitimate penological goals," the justices wrote.

Four other justices, in a concurrence, wrote that while they agreed with the majority's conclusions and invalidation of the death penalty, "additional state constitutional principles compel this result."

Gov. Jay Inslee, a one-time supporter of capital punishment, had imposed a moratorium on the death penalty in 2014, saying that no executions would take place while he's in office.

In a written statement, Inslee called the ruling "a hugely important moment in our pursuit for equal and fair application of justice."

"The court makes it perfectly clear that capital punishment in our state has been imposed in an 'arbitrary and racially biased manner,' is 'unequally applied' and serves no criminal justice goal," Inslee wrote.​

Ted Bundy would have agreed with the courts decision.

Let me guess, they are against putting to death murderers so they can continue the same activity in jail, but are all for Roe vs. Wade.

That's what happens when you legalize weed I suppose.

Far out dude.

Thank you for that very good news.

I'm not in my home state of Washington right now so I didn't see the news.

I'm so proud of the judges on the Supreme Court of my state.

All of them are voted into office by the people so that court is made up of mostly liberal judges. Some of which I voted for.

I sure hope other states follow the example of mine.

Our government shouldn't be killing our citizens.

Life in prison with no chance for parole is the proper thing to do. Remove the person from society so they can't hurt anyone anymore.

Good...house and feed the murderers.

We can afford it.

My state stopped wasting money on prosecuting people for marijuana possession. So our prisons aren't packed with people who don't belong there wasting our tax dollars.

The people of my state would much rather house and feed them than lower ourselves to the level of that murderer by murdering them.

We prefer to be civilized human beings. Put them in prison for life with no chance of parole.

You aren't paying for it so what do you care?

I am paying for it and would prefer to do that instead of spending more money to kill them. It costs much more to kill a prisoner than it is to house and feed them.

I prefer my tax dollars house and feed them instead of becoming like that barbarian by killing them.

If you don't like it. Don't live in Washington.

We can afford it.

My state stopped wasting money on prosecuting people for marijuana possession. So our prisons aren't packed with people who don't belong there wasting our tax dollars.

The people of my state would much rather house and feed them than lower ourselves to the level of that murderer by murdering him.

We prefer to be civilized human beings. Put them in prison for life with no chance of parole.

I am paying for it and would prefer to do that instead of spending more money to kill them. It costs much more to kill a prisoner than it is to house and feed them.

I prefer my tax dollars house and feed them instead of becoming like that barbarian by killing them.

NY...I’m feeding them.

Thank you for that very good news.

I'm not in my home state of Washington right now so I didn't see the news.

All of them are voted into office by the people so that court is made up of mostly liberal judges. Some of which I voted for.

Our government shouldn't be killing our citizens.

Life in prison with no chance for parole is the proper thing to do. Remove the person from society so they can't hurt anyone anymore.

Yes, because mass murder demands 3 hots and a cot.

Most of these monsters are quite happy in prison.

Some crimes deserve the ultimate punishment.

And of course, decades from now whiny snotty little cowards like you would of course support their release as old men "on compassionate grounds"

Not to mention the cost of keeping these murderers alive.

Anything they need will be paid for by the taxpayer.

The Left love murderers.

The Left love murderers.

Remember when that Democrat murdered the first Republican President?

`
According to the Death Penalty Information Center, 23 people were executed in the United States in 2017, the second lowest number since 1991. The number of death sentences imposed was 39.Since 1976, when the death penalty was reinstated by the US Supreme Court, 1,481 people have been executed (as of August 14, 2018). (source)

I'm ambivalent on this issue. However, I do agree that jamming up the prison system with non-violent criminals (such as in marijuana) will cut prisoners and unclog the system which will allow for an actual life sentence. The for-profit prison system is against this, for obvious reasons.
`

`
According to the Death Penalty Information Center, 23 people were executed in the United States in 2017, the second lowest number since 1991. The number of death sentences imposed was 39.Since 1976, when the death penalty was reinstated by the US Supreme Court, 1,481 people have been executed (as of August 14, 2018). (source)

I'm ambivalent on this issue. However, I do agree that jamming up the prison system with non-violent criminals (such as in marijuana) will cut prisoners and unclog the system which will allow for an actual life sentence. The for-profit prison system is against this, for obvious reasons.
`

There are no people in prison for smoking pot. That's a leftist fairy tale. Most drug offenders are in prison for selling narcotics or being in the process of another crime while using/ in possession of narcotics.

Not to mention the cost of keeping these murderers alive.

Anything they need will be paid for by the taxpayer.

Statistically, it's cheaper to keep them alive. That's because we have such a Fd up justice system that allows them to be on death row for 5, 10, 15, and even 20 years. It's red tape that clogs up our system with appeals and so forth.

The solution to that is to carry out the death penalty much quicker; fast track those appeals for convicted murderers.

We can afford it.

The people of my state would much rather house and feed them than lower ourselves to the level of that murderer by murdering them.

Well it's really not about finances or what "YOU" would like. The real question is how do the families of the victim feel?

If something terrible happened to a member of my family, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night until the culprit was off this earth. If the state didn't do it, I may even try to get at them someway myself. I couldn't stand getting my paycheck only to see my state tax deductions going towards feeding this monster, giving him healthcare, letting him sit day to day with nothing to do but read a book or something. It would drive me crazy. In fact, I would ask the state if I could be the one to twist the petcock that allowed the deadly fluid to enter his body.

So in my opinion, it shouldn't be up to the court, it shouldn't be up to the prosecutor or defense, it should be up to the family, because they are the most affected in such a situation.

You're proud of judges that usurped the legislation process? How un-American of you.

This is yet one more example of why we need Republicans to select judges on the federal level.

Capital Punishment is a law--not a Constitutional issue. Laws are made by elected representatives. Courts decide if laws are followed or not.

What the leftist judges do is create constitutional violations out of thin air. We've seen this on several occasions with Trump; we seen this in the gay marriage debate. If continued that way, we will be a government run by judges and their poetical affiliations or political agendas.

If the people of Washington want to do away with the death penalty, that's fine as long as they make such a decision and not 9 activists who happen to be seated on the bench. It should either be a campaign issue by representatives or a ballot initiative where the people get to vote to keep it or not.

Keep Democrats from selecting judges. It will be the end of our Republic unless we do.

Personally, I love the death penalty. Any conviction in which a gun was fired at someone or carelessly, or a vehicle driven while the driver was intoxicated I'd have a random 1 in 10,000 chance of being a death sentence. That takes it out of the hands of judges and juries, we'll have the sentenced spin this "wheel of fortune" so to say. If it hits the unlucky spot, good luck on your appeal, my 5 year clock to lethal injection is counting!

I find it odd though, the Death Penalty, removing someone's right to life, is the ultimate in big government. Doesn't seem very consistent with the pretend platform of Republicans.

But yeah, go death penalty! Anyone who shoots someone obviously believes in it so I do also!

I find it odd though, the Death Penalty, removing someone's right to life, is the ultimate in big government.

No it's not big government, it's carrying out the will of the people and protecting them in the process which is the main responsibility of government. Only few cases are we allowed to protect ourselves. If somebody kills my mother, I can't legally go out and kill them as much as I'd like to. Government needs to carry out my wishes.

Forum List

Back