Washington State University Removes Personal, Philosophical Exemptions For Vaccine

Dana7360

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2014
I'm surprised that WSU is doing this.

The only exception left is for health reasons.

I'm sure that someone will challenge it in court. It will be interesting to see how the court rules.

I'm sure that someone will challenge it in court. It will be interesting to see how the court rules.

Good for WSU!!!:yes_text12:

Good for WSU!!!:yes_text12:

WSU is in a rural area. Over on the east side of the state.

The east side of the state is a conservative area. I'm surprised a conservative area is exempting personal and philosophical reasons for the vaccine.

Well, I could tell you if I was on the court. NO exemptions except for medical with proof.

I have no idea how the court will rule.

The philosophical and personal reason usually are religious so there is no telling how the court will rule.

Religion is always treated differently and given special exemptions and consideration in our nation.

SCOTUS has already ruled on this issue. It is well within the rights of colleges to mandate vaccinations.

I wonder if Evergreen will follow suit. Now THAT is something I could get behind. The only good liberal arts student......................

We will have to wait and see.

Evergreen isn't just a liberal arts school. It's also science.

I don't think that the school will have much problem with unvaccinated students and faculty.

We will have to wait and see.

Evergreen isn't just a liberal arts school. It's also science.

I don't think that the school will have much problem with unvaccinated students and faculty.
I would say let's wait and see, but I am leaving the state in less than two weeks and then everything Western Washington is going into the catagory of things I don't give two fucks about.

WSU is in a rural area. Over on the east side of the state.

The east side of the state is a conservative area. I'm surprised a conservative area is exempting personal and philosophical reasons for the vaccine.
Fortunately, they are not that conservative. Washington is a GREAT state!!

I would say let's wait and see, but I am leaving the state in less than two weeks and then everything Western Washington is going into the catagory of things I don't give two fucks about.
Well, I don't imagine they give two fucks about you either.

I have no idea how the court will rule.

The philosophical and personal reason usually are religious so there is no telling how the court will rule.

Religion is always treated differently and given special exemptions and consideration in our nation.
What religion other than Christian Science forbids medical treatment, including vaccines?

Fortunately, they are not that conservative. Washington is a GREAT state!!

Yes it is very fortunate.

I know Washington is a great state. It's where I was born and raised.

What religion other than Christian Science forbids medical treatment, including vaccines?

I didn't know so I did a search.

This is what I found:

The following denominations do have a theological objection to vaccination:

• Dutch Reformed Congregations - This denomination has a tradition of declining immunizations. Some members decline vaccination on the basis that it interferes with divine providence. However, others within the faith accept immunization as a gift from God to be used with gratitude.
  • Faith healing denominations including:
  • Faith Tabernacle
  • Church of the First Born
  • Faith Assembly
  • End Time Ministrie
  • Church of Christ, Scientist - One of the basic teachings of this denomination is that disease can be cured or prevented by focused prayer and members will often request exemptions when available. However, there are not strict rules against vaccination and members can receive required vaccinations.

It will be interesting to see how the court rules.
The Court already did.

Jacobson v. Massachusetts (1905):

‘Justice John Marshall Harlan wrote about the police power of states to regulate for the protection of public health: “The good and welfare of the Commonwealth, of which the legislature is primarily the judge, is the basis on which the police power rests in Massachusetts,” Harlan said “upon the principle of self-defense, of paramount necessity, a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members.”’

And as a public university, Washington State is considered government, authorized to mandate vaccinations.

The Court already did.

Jacobson v. Massachusetts (1905):

‘Justice John Marshall Harlan wrote about the police power of states to regulate for the protection of public health: “The good and welfare of the Commonwealth, of which the legislature is primarily the judge, is the basis on which the police power rests in Massachusetts,” Harlan said “upon the principle of self-defense, of paramount necessity, a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members.”’

And as a public university, Washington State is considered government, authorized to mandate vaccinations.

I know about that case. I found it a couple weeks ago when the debate of mandatory vaccination started.

This is a case which will involve religion.

As I said in the OP, this nation gives special consideration to religion. So the court could go either way. No matter the ruling it will end up before the state Supreme Court.

The state Supreme Court in Washington has a majority of liberals so I don't know how they will rule.

We will have to wait to see.

Forum List

Back