Walmart Greeter Punched By Customer Gets Fired

He produced his receipt. The older gentleman (racist if he called him a racial name) broke policy by following a customer who produced a receipt to his car, thereby saying he was a thief. I would have been pissed as well.

Walmart fired this "victim'. Why? What do you think? I cant wait until this goes to trial. This man was no theif. the old man is wrong. hopefully he does time.

The kid comes back in, probably expecting to beat up the guy and take the clipboard and didn't expect the old man to be so strong. Racial slur? The kid stole something, then comes back and beats on an old man and cries racism? Which one would you believe?

If it really was a racial slur, the kid could have gone to management and filed a complaint, Walmart wouldn't have done anything about the theft, they've already said they don't prosecute shoplifters.

What theft? He produced a receipt. Why do you think he wasn't charged with shoplifting. This started off wrong and ended wrong.

the old man was wrong to follow that customer calling him a thief. That is where it started.

He produced his receipt. The older gentleman (racist if he called him a racial name) broke policy by following a customer who produced a receipt to his car, thereby saying he was a thief. I would have been pissed as well.

Walmart fired this "victim'. Why? What do you think? I cant wait until this goes to trial. This man was no theif. the old man is wrong. hopefully he does time.

I hope he gets sent to THE CHAIR

...in the corner for a 15 minute TIME OUT!

The kid comes back in, probably expecting to beat up the guy and take the clipboard and didn't expect the old man to be so strong. Racial slur? The kid stole something, then comes back and beats on an old man and cries racism? Which one would you believe?

If it really was a racial slur, the kid could have gone to management and filed a complaint, Walmart wouldn't have done anything about the theft, they've already said they don't prosecute shoplifters.

What theft? He produced a receipt. Why do you think he wasn't charged with shoplifting. This started off wrong and ended wrong.

the old man was wrong to follow that customer calling him a thief. That is where it started.

He didn't produce a receipt. Not that I saw on that video anyway.

He walked through and refused to stop is what I saw, then when the greeter followed him out he came back in and attacked the greeter. Why in hell would he even realize the greeter was writing down his license plate number if he had nothing to be ashamed of?

Immie

Makes my heart sink when I walk into a Walmart and see the "greeter" standing there like some wraith with a thousand yard stare.
Usually it's a senior that they stick there at the door; I've even seen someone in a wheelchair that they parked there.
You know they don't mean it when they say "hello". Stop that policy and hire some really good customer service staff. You will have more satisfied customers. I promise.

I've worked retail customer service. The things I've seen.
Just keep your mouth shut and do your job and then walk in the back and curse the air blue.

He will make plenty sueing them for wrongful termination.

Florida is an At Will state. There will be no wrongful termination case.

All except Montana, with specifics, are at will. I did some looking and FL does not even recognize the following; Public Policy or Implied contracts or good faith and fair dealing.

My state does recognize a public policy exception, but some southern states do not, as I learned that many years ago when boning up for an employment lawsuit.

This case is an interesting one, as it deals with WV and a public policy exception, and the 7-11 clerk was fired for defending himself also. However, as we are talking about FL, I also see no wrongful discharge claim. This case, I remember, was on the court news shows years ago.

Feliciano v. 7-Eleven, No. 29564

Last edited:

He walked through and refused to stop is what I saw, then when the greeter followed him out he came back in and attacked the greeter. Why in hell would he even realize the greeter was writing down his license plate number if he had nothing to be ashamed of?

Immie

He did produce the receipt. Why do you think he wasn't charged with shoplifting.

The reason he was pissed was because he produced the receipt, this guy following him pissed him said he was being accused of being a thief even though he did NOTHING wrong.

I would be pissed as well.....and the old man broke the rules by following him to his car. (Why do YOU think he was fired?).

If he called him a racial name, I completely understand why he was THAT angry.

He will make plenty sueing them for wrongful termination.

Florida is an At Will state. There will be no wrongful termination case.

You might want to check that out. Even in "at will" states a person fired for cause can sue for wrongful termination. You can also sue for wrongful termination if your being fired 'without cause' is a thinly veiled attempt to disguise discriminaiton.

There was a situation in TN several years ago involving a male nurse and a psych patient. Now psych hospitals have a strict policy against fighting back if a patient assaults you. This nurse slugged the patient back, was fired, and they went for his license. The Nursing Board ruled after several years of litigation that the nurse had the right to defend himself, even though there was a policy in place that says you don't fight back. And it should be noted that in psych hospitals staff are taught how to defend themselves without fighting back.

I think it may be far fectched but there COULD be an equal protection question here. Now as it stands the equal protection clause only applies to the government, BUT there was a time when the equal rights laws only applied to the government. Over the years, the equal rights legislation has come to apply to the private sector under the umbrella called 'public policy.' Even a private firm cannot violate public policy.

This one isn't cut and dried. And if he chooses to pursue it, there could be an interesting result.

Last edited:

Immie

He did produce the receipt. Why do you think he wasn't charged with shoplifting.

The reason he was pissed was because he produced the receipt, this guy following him pissed him said he was being accused of being a thief even though he did NOTHING wrong.

I would be pissed as well.....and the old man broke the rules by following him to his car. (Why do YOU think he was fired?).

If he called him a racial name, I completely understand why he was THAT angry.

Did you watch the video? He didn't stop and let them check his bags. He kept going.

He probably wasn't charged because after he through the stuff in the car they could not tell what was Walmart's stuff and what he had before coming to the store.

When those buzzers go off, do you just keep going or do you stop and wait for them to wave you on? I stop and wait. Typically they wave you on without even checking.

IF, and there is no proof he did, if he called him a racial slur, that does not justify an attack on an elderly man and 69 is elderly.

Immie

According to my paper, he had a receipt.

I never stop for the buzzers.

Had a receipt?

For everything? Would be my question.

Did he have a GPS unit that he didn't pay for stuffed in his jacket, too?

Come on, if he were honest, why would he even have known that he was followed out and his license plate was written down? It seems to me, very likely, that he had a guilty conscience in the first place.

Immie

But if someone said "Excuse me, ma'am" you would stop, right?

And if you didn't hear them, and got to your car, and saw them writing down your license plate number, you wouldn't walk up to them and grab their clipboard, right?

And if you didn't hear them, and got to your car, and saw them writing down your license plate number, you wouldn't walk up to them and grab their clipboard, right?

Or if he called you a slur representing a prostitute, you wouldn't run in and sucker punch an old man, would you?

Immie

Or if he called you a slur representing a prostitute, you wouldn't run in and sucker punch an old man, would you?

Immie
I'd like to say no, but...just how feeble is this old man?:lol:

Immie

He didn't look feeble to me, but that shouldn't matter and in fact, it might dissuade me from sucker punching him if he were in shape.

But, even so, I would like to say that I would simply tell him to F Off and leave. Fearing jail time, I would not assualt him. So what? He wrote down my license plate. Big deal, once I am gone, they can't prove I took anything... not that I would.

Immie

Immie

He didn't look feeble to me, but that shouldn't matter and in fact, it might dissuade me from sucker punching him if he were in shape.

But, even so, I would like to say that I would simply tell him to F Off and leave. Fearing jail time, I would not assualt him. So what? He wrote down my license plate. Big deal, once I am gone, they can't prove I took anything... not that I would.

Immie
huh...in Florida you are allowed to shoot someone dead if you feel threatened by them. So I'm not seeing the difference...why can't you punch someone for calling you a slut?

Yeah the guy had anger management issues.
Do you punch everyone that pisses you off?
Is pissing you off justification for punching someone?

Immie
huh...in Florida you are allowed to shoot someone dead if you feel threatened by them. So I'm not seeing the difference...why can't you punch someone for calling you a slut?

The legality of punching someone for calling you a slut is moot.

The real question is...would you do it?

Forum List

Back