Wall Street Journal faces backlash over op-ed urging Jill Biden to drop "doctor" title

If people are talking about it on social media, it's probably exactly the reaction the author and publication were hoping for.
ding ding ding

It was a provocation, through and through. A shameless one, at that. and yes, accusations of misogyny are totally fair. read it, you will see why.

The idiot that wrote the article should go earn a doctorate and then come back to tell us why anyone who earned that title shouldn't use it.

Just about any person of average intelligence can earn a PhD in education if willing to stay in school long enough.

Just about any person of average intelligence can earn a PhD in education if willing to stay in school long enough.
What is respected is the knowledge and hard work more than the intelligence. Nobody would suggest she should give a psychiatrist advice on psychiatry, because she is so smart by virtue of having a doctorate in another field

Being 83 years old, I grew up to show respect to my betters.

Although I believe that the new President and his son were involved in shady business dealings, I plan to always refer to him as President Biden, not just as "Biden."

I remember that certain Americans felt very hurt whenever a newscaster or anyone else referred to the 44th President only by his last name, instead of prefacing it with the title of his position.

I have read that in Germany (at least in the past), people with two doctorates were referred to as, for example, "Dr. Dr. Schmidt."

What is respected is the knowledge and hard work more than the intelligence. Nobody would suggest she should give a psychiatrist advice on psychiatry, because she is so smart by virtue of having a doctorate in another field
While I agree that hard work and knowledge deserves respect, I'm pointing out that not all doctorates are equal. To me a doctorate in physics is much more impressive than a doctorate in education.

Being 83 years old, I grew up to show respect to my betters.

Although I believe that the new President and his son were involved in shady business dealings, I plan to always refer to him as President Biden, not just as "Biden."

I remember that certain Americans felt very hurt whenever a newscaster or anyone else referred to the 44th President only by his last name, instead of prefacing it with the title of his position.

I have read that in Germany (at least in the past), people with two doctorates were referred to as, for example, "Dr. Dr. Schmidt."
It was kind of telling when they would utter the phrases "President Bush" and "Obama" in nearly the same breath, during the Obama presidency. Pretty consistent with the birther and tea party movements. We.now know well what those were really about.

While I agree that hard work and knowledge deserves respect, I'm pointing out that not all doctorates are equal. To me a doctorate in physics is much more impressive than a doctorate in education.
Okay, but i wouldn't ask a physics doctorate how to educate children. I find educating children to be pretty damn important. Opinions vary, i guess.

Okay, but i wouldn't ask a physics doctorate how to educate children. I find educating children to be pretty damn important. Opinions vary, i guess.
Okay, but I wouldn't ask an education doctorate how to install my toilet. I find indoor plumbing pretty damn important. Opinions vary, I guess.

The Washington Post are now ridiculing Trump ally "Dr. Sebastian Gorka" for calling himself "Dr."

Okay, but I wouldn't ask an education doctorate how to install my toilet. I find indoor plumbing pretty damn important. Opinions vary, I guess.
Who would you ask? A plumber. Are you trying to make my points? Or just trying to stupidly demean a doctorate in education that you likely know less than nothing about?

I wouldn't ask a medical doctor either.

Who would you ask? A plumber. Are you trying to make my points? Or just trying to stupidly demean a doctorate in education that you likely know less than nothing about?
Just pointing out that there are many important jobs. How important a job is has little or anything to do with having earned a doctorate. There are plenty of great teachers that don't have doctorates and there are educators that have doctorates that suck at teaching. And to my earlier point... a doctorate in physics is much more impressive than a doctorate in education. That point in no way diminishes the importance of educators.

Also, there are many people with doctorates that may use the title Dr. in their profession that don't use that title outside of their profession. Many educators that have doctorates don't expect everyone to refer to them as Dr.

Just pointing out that there are many important jobs. How important a job is has little or anything to do with having earned a doctorate. There are plenty of great teachers that don't have doctorates and there are educators that have doctorates that suck at teaching. And to my earlier point... a doctorate in physics is much more impressive than a doctorate in education. That point in no way diminishes the importance of educators.

Also, there are many people with doctorates that may use the title Dr. in their profession that don't use that title outside of their profession. Many educators that have doctorates don't expect everyone to refer to them as Dr.
And many do. And i would likw to see your source for your implicit assumption thay Dr. Jill Biden expects everyone to call her "doctor". As far as a.physics degree...how do you suppose a person goes about obtaining that? Rubbing two pennies together?

Or...via education?

And many do. And i would likw to see your source for your implicit assumption thay Dr. Jill Biden expects everyone to call her "doctor". As far as a.physics degree...how do you suppose a person goes about obtaining that? Rubbing two pennies together?

Or...via education?
There are many doctorates more impressive than a doctorate in education. Your arguments do nothing to counter that point.

Micheal King aka the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (the deity of the politically correct) allegedly earned a doctorate in theology and his thesis turned out to be a plagiarized piece of crap. How did he pay for that by the way? I suppose the New York commies who wrote his speeches financed it. Anyhoo, not saying the "doctor" thing before the chump's name is now verboten.

Or...via education?
There are many doctorates more impressive than a doctorate in education. Your arguments do nothing to counter that point.
Great! And I am quite sure you would never have been talking about it, if not for the successful, highly educated woman at the top of her field who has one was named in the marching orders.

Let's compare her to a person who lied about having any kind of degree at all: Melanie. Dr. Jill is quite an upgrade in first ladies, by any standard!

Forum List

Back