Vote your conscience

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Anything less is a failure to live up to your responsibility as a voter.

The "moral" aspects of this [Presidential] election are too conflicted to point in either direction.

And even if you cut through all the bullshit, one can argue a hundred different points that go in opposite directions.

Consider the conundrum of the Catholic Church. It supports a massive social safety net and Big Government programs all around, but the candidate most close associated with those positions advocates baby-killing.

My conscience tells me to vote for the candidate who gives greatest respect to the U.S. Constitution, and while neither one of them is a strong Constitutionalist, Trump is more likely to appoint judges and justices who respect the Constitution - there is no real question about that.

The "moral" aspects of this [Presidential] election are too conflicted to point in either direction.

And even if you cut through all the bullshit, one can argue a hundred different points that go in opposite directions.

Consider the conundrum of the Catholic Church. It supports a massive social safety net and Big Government programs all around, but the candidate most close associated with those positions advocates baby-killing.

My conscience tells me to vote for the candidate who gives greatest respect to the U.S. Constitution, and while neither one of them is a strong Constitutionalist, Trump is more likely to appoint judges and justices who respect the Constitution - there is no real question about that.

Your conscience is, apparently, unaware that there are more than two candidates on the ballot.

What if my conscience is to not vote? :lmao:
Your choice, but I'd add that it's also a civic duty to vote. Ignore it at your own risk due to the maxim "Every nation gets the government it deserves." If you want others to pick your government, that's up to you.

FWIW, I voted a straight Libertarian ticket. Sure, Johnson won't win, but I'd rather the other candidates win/lose with a 46/44/10 split than a 51/49 split. Additionally, there are a lot of other items on a ballot than POTUS. There's Congressional elections, state elections, local elections and bills.

Your choice, but I'd add that it's also a civic duty to vote. Ignore it at your own risk due to the maxim "Every nation gets the government it deserves." If you want others to pick your government, that's up to you.

Voting is a right and, as with all rights, if you choose to exercise it you have a duty to do so responsibly. If you don't have a preference among the candidates, or if you haven't done the work necessary to form an educated opinion, not voting is appropriate.

Voting is a right and, as with all rights, if you choose to exercise it you have a duty to do so responsibly. If you don't have a preference among the candidates, or if you haven't done the work necessary to form an educated opinion, not voting is appropriate.
Good words, but they are in conflict with each other. If it's a right, then it doesn't matter if they've "done the work" or not, they can vote.

If it was up to me, I'd require every American to pass a citizenship test before voting as a minimum. Another step is to require an IQ test to become a citizen. A third level is to require one to become a vet to qualify for citizenship. If we had that system, I doubt we'd have ever invaded Iraq and the war in Afghanistan would have been over by 2006.

I have to disagree. Criminal corruption (bribery and obstruction of justice) far outweighs "offensive" speech as examples of immorality. The fact that Hillary has not (yet) been convicted is no excuse for suspending one's conscience in order to vote for her.

Then that's what you should do.

Well, when you are young, immortal, and the world and no one in it really matter, idealism is perfectly fine. Then there is reality.

Realpolitik - Wikipedia
slide_45.jpg

Good words, but they are in conflict with each other. If it's a right, then it doesn't matter if they've "done the work" or not, they can vote.

Where are my words in conflict?

I haven't voted in forever, mostly because for the past fifteen years, it never really mattered who won. The results of who governed were pretty much going to be the same. It might actually matter this time. :eusa_think:

FWIW, I voted a straight Libertarian ticket. Sure, Johnson won't win, but I'd rather the other candidates win/lose with a 46/44/10 split than a 51/49 split. Additionally, there are a lot of other items on a ballot than POTUS. There's Congressional elections, state elections, local elections and bills.

No, it is not a duty, that is what the power structure would like for me/us to swallow because it gives them/it a wider illusion of legitimacy. The government we get is controlled by concentrated wealth and power, same as it ever was, by design. Elections do not deal with that, again, by design. The economic re-rigging of this society is over a half century old now, and it's been totally bipartisan. Voting will not now or ever alter that. By all means, if your conscience propels you to the voting booth, do so, and vote for whoever makes you feel better, but recognize that's all this is; an exercise in falsely appeasing a very orchestratedly anxious, economically stressed, and increasingly fearful populace.

I haven't voted in forever, mostly because for the past fifteen years, it never really mattered who won. The results of who governed were pretty much going to be the same. It might actually matter this time. :eusa_think:

Although it was not apparent at the time, Bill Clinton's 40% election in 1992 was a harbinger of the massive corruption in our government that we see today.

Forum List

Back