Vikings were terrifying

Could you imagine a bunch of big ,bearded thugs running at you with axes !!
Everyone knew that dying in battle was a gift and a trip to Valhalla

And predominantly, the Vikings were traders and craftsmen.

They had one of the most extensive trading networks in the world, with routes going all the way to Africa, the Middle East, and central Asia. And their ships were designed for easy portage.

Very few were really "raiders", but that is what is mostly remembered. But their arts and sciences were rather advanced for the era, and they built a loose empire that was huge, spread over 3 Continents.

From memory the Vikings first found Canada then some settled in America and Grenland,Iceland where many still live today.All good thing must end,lol.Not only no England but also no America either.

From memory the Vikings first found Canada then some settled in America and Grenland,Iceland where many still live today.All good thing must end,lol.Not only no England but also no America either.

Oh, they left no permanent settlement in the Americas. The "Little Ice Age" swept in, and put an end to their "Westward Expansion", ending all of their colonies in Vineland, and pretty much all of them in Greenland also.

Oh, they left no permanent settlement in the Americas. The "Little Ice Age" swept in, and put an end to their "Westward Expansion", ending all of their colonies in Vineland, and pretty much all of them in Greenland also.

I know but they did settle here for awhile. Correct?

I know but they did settle here for awhile. Correct?

Less than 10 years. There were whaling outposts on Antarctica that lasted longer than that. Not even any flora or fauna from their settlement remained, and none of the plants or animals from the Americas were brought back to Europe.

Nothing but a failed colony, that was soon abandoned.

1624848258903.png

They farmed Greenland. Greenland must have been warmer and more verdant.

So much for global warming.
My DNA reveals a few of my ancestors came from Greenland, Norway and Sweden. They were likely some Vikings in the bunch. I am also Irish, Scottish, English, Dutch and German.

I understand there are those who feel I should be ashamed of my white heritage.

1624938949369.jpeg

They farmed Greenland. Greenland must have been warmer and more verdant.

So much for global warming.
My DNA reveals a few of my ancestors came from Greenland, Norway and Sweden. They were likely some Vikings in the bunch. I am also Irish, Scottish, English, Dutch and German.

I understand there are those who feel I should be ashamed of my white heritage.

View attachment 506753
You definitely have Vikings back there. William the Conqueror was roughly 30 generations ago, which multiplies out to more than *billion* entries on a family tree. Everyone from the British Isles probably traces back to Norse-descended William in some way (especially since his son Henry alone had 27 children), and everyone with any Northern or Western European ancestry almost certainly traces back to William's ancestors. If you scroll up to post 189, you'll see the TV version of William's great-great-great-grandfather, Rollo.

In my case, my family tree merges with English royalty through John of Gaunt, patriarch of the Lancasters and youngest son of Edward III. William was therefore my Great (x29) Grandfather, and Rollo my Great (x34). We might be 25th or something cousins! :D

Forum List

Back